Poles and Eberflus introductory press conference - 11am

CBears019

Adam Hoge

@AdamHoge

·

1m

One thing that is obvious today: Ryan Poles and Matt Eberflus are not ready to talk about specific personnel already on the roster. Were asked many different ways, including trying to ask Matt what he prepared for when he played the #Bears in 2020.

Quick thoughts.  Flus is a football coach, and that's it.  He was coaching the entire time in the press conference, very impressive, certainly will be a really good communicator.  Results remain to be seen.

This was clearly the culmination of a lot of hard work for Poles, and he is genuinely excited to be here and has a plan.

The fact Fields spoke immediately after them speaks volumes of what they think about him.

• Like 1

Really impressed with Poles…seems humble and open minded…doesn’t think he knows all the answers and will use any resource he can to improve this team and develop his own skills which is shown in the fact he reached out to Polian and even Nagy for advice on where things can go right and wrong…love the fact he confirmed we will build through the draft and be selective in free agency…will value the OL and feels this is foundational for offensive success and explosive plays…will use analytics and George confirmed he will be allowed to structure his FO how he wants which is key…love the fact he was emotional during the interview…shows his passion and that he will give his all to make this a success…

Massively impressed with Flus…intense, direct, will clearly command a room and most importantly understands that everything is about development, teaching and having a clear plan and visions…I think the players will love this guy’s toughness and understand what he is trying to bring here…again he mentioned speed, physicality & effort…love his comments about not just having offensive, defensive & special teams units…we are all one team…surprised he is giving up play calling duties but shows he understands how important it is to be the head coach of the team rather than just a DC with a different title…love his passionate he was about working with the full team especially the offence…really struggle to see why he was passed over in previous years because he comes across excellently…

Fair play to George as well…he came across much better today…also love the fact he has been open to the FO being changed…Poles doing the final interviews with the candidates…and most importantly…Ted not being involved today…that is huge…

Fields saying after a rookie season he is happy for a fresh start says everything you need to know about last season…big statement that he was the player to speak after the new GM & HC…

We don’t know how this will play out when it comes to getting back on the field…but what I can say with confidence is this process has been extensive and seems to have landed us two guys who are more than ready for the opportunity that they have been given…any doubts I had on either are put to bed with this…now let’s get down to the senior bowl…continue to build an excellent staff then move on to FA & the Draft…Training Camp this year is going to be awesome…can honestly say I am excited again as a Bears fan following a year of nothing but apathy.

22 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Adam Hoge

@AdamHoge

·

1m

Justin Fields points out that a defensive-minded head coach can help explain coverages and he's excited that new OC Luke Getsy will be fully invested in the offense without other responsibilities. #Bears

Very telling for how awful Matt Nagy was at his job.

• Like 4

I like what I heard, curious to see how legit Eberflus is on the offensive side of the ball, however.

Sounds like Poles wants to build a tough/stout offensive line -- GOOD! Will do nothing but help the running game and protect JF1.

Defensively, I will keep saying this until I'm blue in the face: Roquan Smith is going to become a superstar in this scheme.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I liked what i heard from both, flus is definitely a passionate guy.  My only concern is that his message comes off as kinda “self help book-esque.”  Maybe it’s just me.  I did love his response to the question about calling plays on defense.

I think his language was a little flowery at times...I also think he was in a press conference…on a practice field I suspect there might be less words and those words will be more of the four letter variety haha.   

Edited by Madmike90