Poles and Eberflus introductory press conference - 11am

CBears019

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Poles was nervous which is understandable...clear that he isn't going to be as smooth a talker as Pace was but I like the fact he is too the point and not trying to serve up a word salad...

The fact he spoke about speed & physicality lets you know where our drafting is going.

Put Perkins in a Bears uni right damn now. 

59 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Quick thoughts.  Flus is a football coach, and that's it.  He was coaching the entire time in the press conference, very impressive, certainly will be a really good communicator.  Results remain to be seen.

This was clearly the culmination of a lot of hard work for Poles, and he is genuinely excited to be here and has a plan.

The fact Fields spoke immediately after them speaks volumes of what they think about him.

This was my immediate thought too. I wonder, did they ask him to speak? Did he ask to be made available? 

Snap thoughts:

On Poles: He was obviously nervous and came across as a bit of a goober, but I don’t care about that. He's an executive. His job is to identify and acquire talent. So long as he can do that I don't care if he gets up there and sounds like that stammering Miss America contestant with the “Like umm and such as…” from a while back. Pace was a solid public speaker. Didn’t mean anything for his ability to do the job. I really liked that Poles didn't take Haugh's bait trying to set up a narrative that he didn't get the chance to interview who he wanted. "I was given the opportunity. I chose HIM." Was basically like, **** you David Haugh. That’s a big thumbs up from me. LOVED Poles saying (on The Score) his philosophy with QB is to take what they do well and do it a lot, while building up the rest. Common sense, but completely lost on Nagy & Co. Commitment to OL importance was nice to see, even if unsurprising given his background. Big fan of his saying he understands that he doesn’t know everything and that he will benefit from surrounding himself with smart people and listening to them. Hope he holds to that. Laurence Holmes asked him if we’d hear from him more than once a year and he said, “I would hope so” which got a genuine laugh out of me. He did say that Flus would be the voice we hear most during the season though and that it should be that way. 

On Flus: Intense, no nonsense guy. I hope he holds his players to the level of accountability to which he speaks. He sounds the part of what you’d expect in a football coach in Chicago. I was surprised he isn’t going to run the defense but liked his explanation for it. Still gonna be his design. Coulda done himself a favor and avoided explaining his acronyms lol. I like that he’s embracing the Team CEO type HC stuff right away. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone else watching the Poles presser at the combine feel like he is a disappointed dad when it comes to what he saw out of this OL last year? 😂...I think we can expect big big changes there...the idea of wanting lighter & quicker Olinemen is interesting considering what he was a big part of drafting last offseason upfront...Will be interesting to see how he rates a guy like Max Mitchell...of course this could all be a smokescreen...

Also think it is clear Robinson is done here in Chicago and Mooney is the only guy he really feels is a playmaker.

23 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Anyone else watching the Poles presser at the combine feel like he is a disappointed dad when it comes to what he saw out of this OL last year? 😂...I think we can expect big big changes there...the idea of wanting lighter & quicker Olinemen is interesting considering what he was a big part of drafting last offseason upfront...Will be interesting to see how he rates a guy like Max Mitchell...of course this could all be a smokescreen...

Also think it is clear Robinson is done here in Chicago and Mooney is the only guy he really feels is a playmaker.

Agree he seems SUPER bullish on Mooney. I wasn’t really sure how to take the ARob stuff - if he’s not planning to at least try to bring him back there would have been no reason not to just say so now. Maybe he’s reached out for a discussion and is waiting to hear back? TBD. Gut says he’s gone.

He comes across as super open and genuine and I loved that it felt like he was giving actual answers to all the questions… except regarding the Cohen injury. Made me think he’s hoping he can flip him for a late round pick or a conditional 2023 pick if he can pass a physical but probably will end up just cutting him.

Him singling out Roquan as a special talent (along with JF1) makes me think an extension there is a priority. Skill position players on offense will be a priority too, even if not headline-grabbing names. I loved his answers about the OL too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agree he seems SUPER bullish on Mooney. I wasn’t really sure how to take the ARob stuff - if he’s not planning to at least try to bring him back there would have been no reason not to just say so now. Maybe he’s reached out for a discussion and is waiting to hear back? TBD. Gut says he’s gone.

He comes across as super open and genuine and I loved that it felt like he was giving actual answers to all the questions… except regarding the Cohen injury. Made me think he’s hoping he can flip him for a late round pick or a conditional 2023 pick if he can pass a physical but probably will end up just cutting him.

Him singling out Roquan as a special talent (along with JF1) makes me think an extension there is a priority. Skill position players on offense will be a priority too, even if not headline-grabbing names. I loved his answers about the OL too. 

What did he say about Mooney where he seems bullish, I haven't watched it and probably won't I'll just wait for all the hot takes.