2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

I don't see how Jimmy G fits BA's mold of a QB.  His system is built on a accurate deep ball with high iq, ala Big Ben, Carson Palmer, Brady.  Winston had a deep ball but not accurate and we know his football IQ on a board was good but on field was questionable.  

I think that we would wager on Trask as he fits that mold but wouldn't be shocked if Bucs kick the tires on Watson, one of the better deep ball throwers but who knows with all the legal stuff.  Also if NYG's are done with Jones who knows maybe they inquire but doubt they move on from him on his first contract. 

Honestly I think Watson makes the most sense if we are just talking talent and fit in the system looking for a new start. 

29 minutes ago, YoungBucs15 said:

I don't see how Jimmy G fits BA's mold of a QB.  His system is built on a accurate deep ball with high iq, ala Big Ben, Carson Palmer, Brady.  Winston had a deep ball but not accurate and we know his football IQ on a board was good but on field was questionable.  

I think that we would wager on Trask as he fits that mold but wouldn't be shocked if Bucs kick the tires on Watson, one of the better deep ball throwers but who knows with all the legal stuff.  Also if NYG's are done with Jones who knows maybe they inquire but doubt they move on from him on his first contract. 

Honestly I think Watson makes the most sense if we are just talking talent and fit in the system looking for a new start. 

this is why i really want him to come to pittsburgh, jimmy g isn't a superstar but he's ten times better than mason rudolph and will fit the system well

• Like 1

Id be all for getting Jimmy G in Pittsburgh as a stop gap....pending the pricetag isnt too high.   Id like to see a conditional 3rd upgradable to a 2nd....but I wouldn't get into a bidding war for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungBucs15 said:

Not gonna happen, but boy would I love to see Carr in Tampa

• Like 1

16 hours ago, adamq said:

Not gonna happen, but boy would I love to see Carr in Tampa

I'm with you bro 

If I could pick any Brady successor for next season , it'd be Carr. Over Russ or Arod (I feel like they'd bring drama)

Carr with Evans and Godwin (should resign) would be awesome

But like you said, it's not likely

If it was just for a 1st I'd do that trade in a heartbeat

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 43M said:

Id be all for getting Jimmy G in Pittsburgh as a stop gap....pending the pricetag isnt too high.   Id like to see a conditional 3rd upgradable to a 2nd....but I wouldn't get into a bidding war for him.

@Forge if we can find a way to get Baker Mayfield, Jimmy G, Ryan Tannehill, and Carson Wentz all in the same division, that would be absolutely must see TV.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 12:50 PM, Forge said:

I would imagine that the 49ers do want to get it finished quickly. Makes sense to really push it before teams can start to make other moves and the 49ers are just left holding the bag with Jimmy 

Well, nothing can officially happen until March 16 when the new League Year starts.  Agreements-in-principle can be made, but nothing really concrete, especially since Jimmy only has 1 year remaining on his deal which would pay him $25.5M with at least $7.5M of it guaranteed, per previous contract benchmarks.  So the likelihood of a team determining that an extension could be done and time to negotiate that would need to be accounted for.  Even if it came down to it, the dead-money cap hit to the Niners is the same if he's traded or cut and it's also negligible.  So they're not really going to be left holding the bag.  And it is in their best interest to be patient and wait for the best deal in terms of compensation.

2 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Well, nothing can officially happen until March 16 when the new League Year starts.  Agreements-in-principle can be made, but nothing really concrete, especially since Jimmy only has 1 year remaining on his deal which would pay him $25.5M with at least $7.5M of it guaranteed, per previous contract benchmarks.  So the likelihood of a team determining that an extension could be done and time to negotiate that would need to be accounted for.  Even if it came down to it, the dead-money cap hit to the Niners is the same if he's traded or cut and it's also negligible.  So they're not really going to be left holding the bag.  And it is in their best interest to be patient and wait for the best deal in terms of compensation.

I've never heard of anyone turning their back on a pre new league year agreed upon trade. That would be wild. I would love it. 

The 7.5 is an injury guarantee from previous incentives. 

On 2/1/2022 at 2:41 PM, YoungBucs15 said:

Looking at BA's past track record, with Brady retiring, the dude is more than likely following suit after this next season anyway.  Though, at the same time, unless Licht sees something he really likes in Jimmy or thinks that Jimmy can do just enough in a largely-in-flux division to still keep the Bucs playoff-competitive and thus keep most of the corps of guys together, then maybe he rolls those dice for a 1-2 year scenario and figures to let whoever he hires to succeed Arians make the penultimate call.

But the real quieston there becomes, does Jimmy really offer you that much more than Kyle Trask?  Probably.  But the allure of unrealized ceiling and "what's behind Door #2?" has gotten the better of a lot of execs in the league before.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I've never heard of anyone turning their back on a pre new league year agreed upon trade. That would be wild. I would love it. 

The 7.5 is an injury guarantee from previous incentives. 

Thing is, the trade deadline exists for a reason - it's semantics but it's also rules and structure.  Once the trade deadline passes, trades can't occur until a new league year (and thus a new trade window) has opened.

8 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Thing is, the trade deadline exists for a reason - it's semantics but it's also rules and structure.  Once the trade deadline passes, trades can't occur until a new league year (and thus a new trade window) has opened.

I wasn't debating that at all. I think it would be hilarious if a team agreed to a trade and backed out of it once the league year started, but I've never seen that happen. 

Ultimately, we will see when it happens, but I personally expect it to be agreed to before the league year opens. Especially since the combine happens prior to the league year. 

There probably aren't enough starters for them to be fully left holding the bag, but if teams bow out of the bidding, the 49ers will lose some degree of leverage as each one falls by the wayside. Especially if the niners are already limiting suitors based on doing a solid for Jimmy (IE, no Texans or other teams of that nature) 

28 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Looking at BA's past track record, with Brady retiring, the dude is more than likely following suit after this next season anyway.  Though, at the same time, unless Licht sees something he really likes in Jimmy or thinks that Jimmy can do just enough in a largely-in-flux division to still keep the Bucs playoff-competitive and thus keep most of the corps of guys together, then maybe he rolls those dice for a 1-2 year scenario and figures to let whoever he hires to succeed Arians make the penultimate call.

But the real quieston there becomes, does Jimmy really offer you that much more than Kyle Trask?  Probably.  But the allure of unrealized ceiling and "what's behind Door #2?" has gotten the better of a lot of execs in the league before.

I do think BA does deserves some credit in evaluating QBs who may be viewed by the league as taken a step back.

-Kelly Holcomb - CLE- well in Kelly's case he was never really viewed as good

-Carson Palmer-OAK- not a lot of the league thinking Carson had much left

-Brady - 42 coming off a pick 6

We'll see if he can add to this list.

Edited by ravishingone