2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

22 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

plz

To everyone who gets frustrated about the fake salary cap shenanigans pushing money forward to future years, you can feel good that the Giants were absolutely hosed by doing this for Bradberry.  He's still a good corner but they weaponized his 2022 cap hit by saving big in years 1 and 2.

I don't think site like Over the Cap can even begin to describe how ugly the Eagles compensation to Fletcher Cox is right now.

He's got bonus and voidable years and maybe dead cap because they cut him to resign him.

I actually don't know how the rules work with this. I think they were able to recycle his dead cap to 2023 when they resigned him or maybe they made him a June 1st cut and then went back in time and resigned him.  Either way, its ugly.

Edited by SkippyX

4 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

To everyone who gets frustrated about the fake salary cap shenanigans pushing money forward to future years, you can feel good that the Giants were absolutely hosed by doing this for Bradberry.  He's still a good corner but they weaponized his 2022 cap hit by saving big in years 1 and 2.

Eh, not really. The Giants could have easily done what the Eagles and Saints do regularly and push money into future years to keep him. Schoen is very much opposed to that though and refuses to do it when possible. That, combined with him not being a great fit for Wink's defense, is why he is getting cut. He's still a great player and would be great in LV, if that is where he ends up.

Just now, minutemancl said:

Eh, not really. The Giants could have easily done what the Eagles and Saints do regularly and push money into future years to keep him. Schoen is very much opposed to that though and refuses to do it when possible. That, combined with him not being a great fit for Wink's defense, is why he is getting cut. He's still a great player and would be great in LV, if that is where he ends up.

Either way, someone else will pay him less than the Giants do this year (in dead cap) but he will actually play for that other team. The whole process is a minefield. How future you or the new you because you got fired handles it can vary.

25 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

He's got bonus and voidable years and maybe dead cap because they cut him to resign him.

I actually don't know how the rules work with this. I think they were able to recycle his dead cap to 2023 when they resigned him or maybe they made him a June 1st cut and then went back in time and resigned him.  Either way, its ugly.

June 1 cut, so $15m dead cap next year + $4m cap hit, he will count $19m next year. Then his contract ends and you will pay him $7.5m in 2024 to not be on your team. 

As far as I can tell, he just counts $4m for 2022.

Edited by Matts4313

23 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

@Forge fair to wildly speculate and/or discredit this?

This doesn't track with reports from Matt Maiocco (long-time team reporter) & Jay Glazer

https://bayareasportshub.com/2022/02/20/report-49ers-feel-emboldened-by-trey-lance-selection-in-nfl-draft/

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/trey-lances-oh-my-goodness-moments-have-49ers-enamored-qb

Well, according to NBC Sports’ Matt Maiocco, the 49ers feel just fine about their No. 3 overall pick from the 2021 NFL Draft. In fact, the franchise is reportedly “emboldened” by their selection of Lance. 

“I’ve heard great stuff about him behind the scenes,” Glazer said. “I heard they love him. They’re enamored with him. He does some things in practice that make you go, ‘Oh, my goodness.’ But he’s young.

However, there were also a couple of reports that the Niners didn't feel Lance is ready. One from Adam Schefter on a radio show, forget who else said it

Edited by 49ersfan

It seems like being a backup for a season does wonders for a QB bust’s reputation. Mitch trubisky Marcus mariota and Jameis winston are examples. We forget about their flaws blame their past teammates coaching staffs and they get starting jobs the next year. 

Maybe baker needs to sit a year as a backup. 

Edited by CP3MVP
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

This doesn't track with reports from Matt Maiocco (long-time team reporter) & Jay Glazer

https://bayareasportshub.com/2022/02/20/report-49ers-feel-emboldened-by-trey-lance-selection-in-nfl-draft/

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/trey-lances-oh-my-goodness-moments-have-49ers-enamored-qb

However, there were also a couple of reports that the Niners didn't feel Lance is ready. One from Adam Schefter on a radio show, forget who else said it

Is Lance going to go bald or what? I need to know.

According to Lombardo, in a follow up, one of the things he's heard they were disappointed in with Lance was his Arm strength...

I don't even know what to do with that

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

According to Lombardo, in a follow up, one of the things he's heard they were disappointed in with Lance was his Arm strength...

I don't even know what to do with that

It means that Lombardo is the reporter that Shanahan and the organization sell their BS to. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was one of the first to unintentionally help sell the Mac narrative with the 3rd overall pick last year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Would it really be a surprise that a guy who only played 1 full year at a d1 college isn’t adjusting well to the nfl?

I know shocker right? 🤷‍♂️

On 5/6/2022 at 1:53 AM, Broncofan said:

Lombardo having no direct 49er inside contact - the connect-the-dots take would be he’s getting that from his ties with Rich Scangarello, who’s no longer with SF but was their QBC in 2021 (and Philly in 2020).   It wouldn’t be surprising if some ex-coaches weren’t as high on Lance as others.   But it’s a stretch on what’s happening now.   

Scange was definitely a Mac guy in that draft process it seems like. 

He was on a podcast recently called tape heads....

"Do you want a guy who throws it hard and 70 yards and runs fast, or do you want a guy that throws with anticipation, on time, allows for YAC, processes, natural leader (???? really?)...those qualities?"