2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I may be in the minority but I think if Baker is healthy he could have a big year in Seattle.

I wouldn't be surprised either...   I mean I don't think Baker is top 5 and never will be but I could see him in the upper fringe top 10 area for a season.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I may be in the minority but I think if Baker is healthy he could have a big year in Seattle.

Meh. The receivers probably the best in the league to accentuate his particular skills,  but I don't expect the line to be good and Baker has always been pretty bad against pressure. He could be okay, top half to top 12 type year, but "big year" would be a stretch for me and be a bit of a surprise for me. 

Seattle is a good multi year choice though

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Meh. The receivers probably the best in the league to accentuate his particular skills,  but I don't expect the line to be good and Baker has always been pretty bad against pressure. He could be okay, top half to top 12 type year, but "big year" would be a stretch for me and be a bit of a surprise for me. 

Seattle is a good multi year choice though

If he's the 12th-13th best QB in the league I'd say that's a pretty big year especially after most teams acted like they didn't value him at all. The OL is definitely still a concern but having Walker/Penny at RB plus Metcalf/Lockett/Fant to throw too is ideal for him.

7 hours ago, sryan66611 said:

I wouldn't be surprised either...   I mean I don't think Baker is top 5 and never will be but I could see him in the upper fringe top 10 area for a season.

Agreed. I think he'll solidify himself as a starting caliber QB.

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If he's the 12th-13th best QB in the league I'd say that's a pretty big year especially after most teams acted like they didn't value him at all. The OL is definitely still a concern but having Walker/Penny at RB plus Metcalf/Lockett/Fant to throw too is ideal for him.

The line between the 12th and 20th best QB is pretty thin.  I don't consider that a huge year. Those guys are all the same. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

The line between the 12th and 20th best QB is pretty thin.  I don't consider that a huge year. Those guys are all the same. 

My main point behind that statement was that if he ends up in Seattle I think he'll solidify himself as a starter in this league going forward. I could see him throwing for like 4,000 yards 26-28 TDs.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

My main point behind that statement was that if he ends up in Seattle I think he'll solidify himself as a starter in this league going forward. I could see him throwing for like 4,000 yards 26-28 TDs.

I mean, I never doubted that he was a starter in the league. That's being way too hard on Baker. My question was always whether or not he could get over that very mediocre tier that he's in of guys you don't really want to pay long term. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, I never doubted that he was a starter in the league. That's being way too hard on Baker. My question was always whether or not he could get over that very mediocre tier that he's in of guys you don't really want to pay long term. 

The fact that he hasn't been traded and teams are reportedly only willing to take him on if the Browns pay a chunk of his salary to me implies that not very many teams view him as a potential long term starter.

Just now, NYRaider said:

The fact that he hasn't been traded and teams are reportedly only willing to take him on if the Browns pay a chunk of his salary to me implies that not very many teams view him as a potential long term starter.

There's a whole lot more that goes into a trade scenario than just a talent evaluation

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I know Jimmy hasn’t stayed healthy either, but I’m not sure if there’s been any questions about his toughness in San Fran.

There were some various whispers during that 2020 season that some people were questioning his toughness, but those were from the darkest corners of the internet type stuff if you know what I mean. Generally he's been applauded for playing through some of the injuries he has. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

There's a whole lot more that goes into a trade scenario than just a talent evaluation

I understand that but we've seen guys like Carson Wentz and Sam Darnold get traded for premium draft capital and then handed starting jobs. Even when teams knew you guys basically had to move Alex Smith you still got a 2nd for him. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I understand that but we've seen guys like Carson Wentz and Sam Darnold get traded for premium draft capital and then handed starting jobs. Even when teams knew you guys basically had to move Alex Smith you still got a 2nd for him. 

Because trades aren't just about a talent evaluation on a player. The browns kind of badly fubar'd this entire process

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Because trades aren't just about a talent evaluation on a player. The browns kind of badly fubar'd this entire process

There are obviously a variety of things that play into it but the fact the Browns traded for Watson and teams are hesitant to take on his contract (which is extremely cheap for a QB) isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for how he's viewed around the league. In any case I think if he goes to Seattle he'll play well enough to earn an extension there and his personality seems like a great match for Pete Carroll. 

With the Seahawks losing Russ I think Pete feels like he has something to prove and the team will follow suit. And obviously Baker is going to have a huge chip on his shoulder next year too.

Edited by NYRaider

46 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I will sincerely never understand how Carson Wentz, Sam Darnold, and other objectively less accomplished QBs get chance after chance, but Mayfield is in limbo. 

He's not a world-beater, but seriously? I'd love to have him as a backup at least. 

I wonder if some of it is the Jeff Garcia effect? We all know Baker's ceiling, and it's not particularly high. But he's too good to bring in and expect him to not push hard and potentially keep a guy with a higher ceiling off the field. Granted, in Seattle's case it's Drew Lock, so....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I will sincerely never understand how Carson Wentz, Sam Darnold, and other objectively less accomplished QBs get chance after chance, but Mayfield is in limbo. 

He's not a world-beater, but seriously? I'd love to have him as a backup at least. 

I wonder if some of it is the Jeff Garcia effect? We all know Baker's ceiling, and it's not particularly high. But he's too good to bring in and expect him to not push hard and potentially keep a guy with a higher ceiling off the field. Granted, in Seattle's case it's Drew Lock, so....

You can make an argument that Wentz is more established than Baker though. Wentz best season (2017) is better than anything Baker has ever done and he really only had one bad year in Philadelphia. In 2019 he threw for 4,000 yards 27 TD/7 TD, was bad in 2020, and then threw for 3,500 yards 27 TD/7 INT last season. I don't think the Wentz deal was terrible Washington even though they took on his full salary. They're only committed to him for this season and can move on with no dead cap or they have the option to keep him for the following 2 seasons with at 26/27M. 

Darnold was a huge beneficiary of Tannehill bouncing back once he got away from Gase. Plus he still had two years left on his contract when they traded him.

I think one of the things that makes it tricky is he only has a year left on his contract so if you trade for him you have to either extend him or tag him if he plays well for you.