Should Allen Robinson return?

Heinz D.

On 2/11/2022 at 1:39 PM, Heinz D. said:

Yeah, I'm with you. I brought it up simply because it's out there. I still think he and Rodgers are staying in Green Bay. 

Maybe Amari Cooper will be a cap casualty. It's a good draft for WRs, too. 

If by "out there" you mean "Erik Lambert claims someone important emailed him and only about this potential match," yeah it's out there. Otherwise it's absolutely not out there

On 2/11/2022 at 3:36 PM, WindyCity said:

No, Nagy wasted him, but this thing is done between Robinson and the Bears.

I’m not sure it’s that clear cut though. Everyone involved with the contentious relationship between he and the Bears last year is gone. If I were to bet on it I agree he’s probably gone, but I think the door will only be closed to a return if Poles and the offensive staff want to go a different direction. I’m guessing Getsy would have very little trouble finding ways to use him effectively. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

If by "out there" you mean "Erik Lambert claims someone important emailed him and only about this potential match," yeah it's out there. Otherwise it's absolutely not out there

The story came up on my feed...but I didn't even bother to read it. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not sure it’s that clear cut though. Everyone involved with the contentious relationship between he and the Bears last year is gone. If I were to bet on it I agree he’s probably gone, but I think the door will only be closed to a return if Poles and the offensive staff want to go a different direction. I’m guessing Getsy would have very little trouble finding ways to use him effectively. 

Disagree to an extent. His teammates were part of that relationship. Many of them are still here. You risk creating a locker room problem if you bring him back.

27 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Disagree to an extent. His teammates were part of that relationship. Many of them are still here. You risk creating a locker room problem if you bring him back.

I dunno? You could well be right about that...but everything I've read seems to indicate his big problems were with Pace and Nagy.

6 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

He has been tweeting back and forth with Mooney and Byrd the past few days. Seems those relationships are probably fine. Tweeted in support of Cohen after he got named the Ed Block winner. Tweeted a few weeks ago about his love for Chicago too. Doesn’t seem to be much love lost for him there, plus they’ll know better than we can if he was minimized in the game plan in 2021 like it seemed too. He’s been a consummate pro and workhorse his whole time here pre-2021 and then with so much at stake for his next deal it doesn’t seem at all to character that he’d just phone it in for 2021. 

IMO though, of the guys back for 2022 the only relationship that really matters is his with Fields. If they jive then he can come back. If not, then he shouldn’t. It’s really that simple for me. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He has been tweeting back and forth with Mooney and Byrd the past few days. Seems those relationships are probably fine. Tweeted in support of Cohen after he got named the Ed Block winner. Tweeted a few weeks ago about his love for Chicago too. Doesn’t seem to be much love lost for him there, plus they’ll know better than we can if he was minimized in the game plan in 2021 like it seemed too. He’s been a consummate pro and workhorse his whole time here pre-2021 and then with so much at stake for his next deal it doesn’t seem at all to character that he’d just phone it in for 2021. 

IMO though, of the guys back for 2022 the only relationship that really matters is his with Fields. If they jive then he can come back. If not, then he shouldn’t. It’s really that simple for me. 

Probably part of that is if he feels Fields is any good or Bears will be any good.

I am sure money will be number one, but I think this guy probably wants to be on a good offense for once if possible.  

20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I am sure money will be number one, but I think this guy probably wants to be on a good offense for once if possible.  

I wonder if he (and Nagy) have damaged what he can expect, as far as offer-size goes? I think we've all been assuming he's gonna get some honkin' big contract tossed his way--that might not be the case. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I wonder if he (and Nagy) have damaged what he can expect, as far as offer-size goes? I think we've all been assuming he's gonna get some honkin' big contract tossed his way--that might not be the case. 

There is no question. 

If he chose GB over Chicago back when he would be a much richer man now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Had much of the top of the FA WR class torn their ACLs in the past 8 weeks I’d be far more skeptical about what he might land, and I don’t think he’s gonna be getting top 5 money, but is he still getting $16-18M per on like a 4 year deal? I have to think so. The advanced metrics (mostly those about types of routes run) support that the way we used him last year was criminal. That, plus injury and COVID. Basically everything went wrong for him last year. Some of that is undoubtedly on him, but amongst the impending UFA WR who aren’t coming off major injury, there’s Adams and then him in terms of talent. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Had much of the top of the FA WR class torn their ACLs in the past 8 weeks I’d be far more skeptical about what he might land, and I don’t think he’s gonna be getting top 5 money, but is he still getting $16-18M per on like a 4 year deal? I have to think so. The advanced metrics (mostly those about types of routes run) support that the way we used him last year was criminal. That, plus injury and COVID. Basically everything went wrong for him last year. Some of that is undoubtedly on him, but amongst the impending UFA WR who aren’t coming off major injury, there’s Adams and then him in terms of talent. 

$16 mil is WAY on the more palatable side of things, for the Bears. That's what I was getting at. Well, sort of, anyway. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Kirk might be a better option. And maybe even a viable one, too.

I think Kirk or Chark or Juju or some combination of those guys are far more likely than Robinson returning. In reality though, so much of how we approach WR will be predicated on what Flus and Getsy and Poles think of Mooney. There’s a lot to like there, but I’m not sure he ever gets to a #1 level. If they think he can be a high end 2 and that they can draft a guy with #1 traits then our WRa in FA might fall more under in the Byron Pringle territory. 

• Like 1