Week 9 GDT

mcmurtry86

8 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Me too. At least here we only have to see him from a distance, rather than up close like in those 'Football Life' episodes, leering at us with that frozen, meaningless smile. The man makes politicians seem genuine.

Alex Smith's helmet looks like it's too big for him.

I haven't figured out Dallas' defense yet. One week they're practically feasting, the next they barely seem to show up.

This seems like the type of defense that plays to its level of competition. An elite offense is tearing that defense up though.

55 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

See that's the thing though so many things go into winning. But at the end of the day talent and execution is the biggest difference.  If you say you have seen motivated and disciplined teams lose because of talent and seen undisciplined win due to talent then doesn't that show you that talent is biggest reason for winning, not these intangibles? 

I'm not sure anyone is arguing player preparation teaches players how to win. Or that player prep is as important as talent. I am making the argument that player prep matters. That it isnt some "excuse because you cant explain something." 

What is a coach's job? Is it strictly x's and o's to you? Or is part of their job to teach players how to play better, motivate them to work hard and improve, critique them and praise them appropriately so they dont get too big a head or too down in the dumps, and have them laser focused on the game plan come sunday morning, ready to drink gasoline and spit fire?

Professional players are still human beings. Theyre still subject to the same psychological shortcomings as everyone else. Including loss of motivation and desire, laziness, lapses in judgement, etc etc. A good coach can go a long way towards keeping those issues to a minimum with the right approach. A bad coach might not.

Player prep is part of what goes into winning. Or losing. It isnt everything. It isnt the only thing. But it matters. 

Archived