Vikings Hire Kevin O’Connell as Head Coach

SemperFeist

O'Connell, 36, has served in his current role for two seasons. He had previously spent three seasons with the Washington Commanders, including the 2019 season in which he served as offensive coordinator. In Kirk Cousins' final season with Washington, O'Connell was his quarterback's coach. His coaching career began in 2015 as a quarterbacks coach with the Cleveland Browns under head coach Mike Pettine. In 2016, he moved on to San Francisco and worked on special projects for the 49ers alongside new Vikings general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah.

The California native will become the 10th head coach in Vikings history. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vikings-land-kevin-oconnell-as-head-coach-minnesota-intends-to-finalize-deal-with-rams-oc-after-super-bowl/

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That could very easily also be a reason why Cousins WILL be shopped and traded by The Vikings, rather than offered an extension.  Just having worked with Kirk shouldn't automatically make the offensive-minded coach believe that keeping him is the best solution for this team over the next 3 years.  Personally, I think, based on what The Wilfs, and most importantly, what Kwesi has stated, Cousins WILL be traded, along with several other higher-priced and older players, along with others with declining production, so The Vikings can get younger, healthier, stronger, and aim for a quick turnaround in 2023, when, with more draft assets, they can grab their new QB in a move up in the draft, and also have enough cap room to grab some quality free agents to fill holes that can't be filled immediately in the next 2 drafts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Tom Pelissero@TomPelissero

The #Vikings met with Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh for 9 hours today, but the team didn’t make an offer, per source.

What the hell did they talk about for 9 hours...?

The Vikings must have asked Harbaugh to explain his side of what happened in his split up from The 49ers, and what he would want to do about Cousin's astronomical cap hit, and if he would be comfortable with not resigning most of the team's older, expensive free agents, and who he would want to bring in as OC, DC, and position coaches, and whether or not he could live with not having full control over the roster, and how many years contract, and how much money he would want in his contract.  Clearly, The Wilfs and, probably Adofo-Mensah, weren't happy that Harbaugh's not wanting to have a significant re-tooling (probably wanting to keep Cousins and several of the other older, expensive veterans) was probably a factor.  Possibly, after Harbaugh's explanation of what happened in his differences with the 49ers upon his leaving that organisation, didn't help make them confident that he wouldn't change his tune about not demanding full control over the roster after a few years, and wouldn't become hard to work with, making new demands.  When weighing that against how much money and guaranteed money he would want, and that the risk that the number of years he would want would over the possible short length of his stay before problems start occurring was not worth the risk.  Given that Adofo-Mensah (and The Wilfs) stated that they wanted to go younger with the roster, and generate more cap space, and move more towards a new emphasis on the current trends in offensive strategies, and to emphasize offence, it makes more sense to hire a young, forward-looking HC, who wants to move towards finding a franchise QB in one of the next few drafts, O'Connell (who is willing to accept a more drastic re-tooling, and not worry about trying to make a deep playoff run next year, and also, if things go well, is likely to be with the team longer than Harbaugh) seems like a better fit.

Edited by Robb_K

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

what the hell did they talk about for 9 hours...?

It was the same process and interview timeline that they went through with Patrick Graham on Tuesday. Apparently it involved a long Q and A between the coach and the Wilfs and search committee that led to the coach detailing their plan for the organization. Then it involved touring every aspect of the facilities, and meeting with the heads of every department. 

I’m guessing that the Vikings have a standard layout for these types of interviews. I noticed that there were reports last weeks and the week before out of Denver, now run by former Viking George Paton, that the Broncos interviewed Dan Quinn, and Nathaniel Hackett for over 8 hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Costello said:

So if the Rams lay an egg on SB sunday, and the offense looks pedestrian. 

Are ppl still going to be as amped for KO? 

I know the second Kellen Moore lost, a lot of fans jumped ship. Just curious as to how ppl would view/react to that scenario. 

One game shouldn’t determine anything as many have stated. One thing I will say about Kellen Moore is that he was already on shaky ground based on the Cowboys offensive performance for the latter half of the year and with all the offensive talent they have. O’Connell generally received praise the entire year, albeit most of the positive focus was on McVay. The Cowboys playoff game was a continuation of a trend which allows you to draw some conclusions, where a poor Rams performance in the Super Bowl would be more of an outlier. 

So my thoughts.....

I think everyone is deflated because of the Harbaugh situation being a done deal the past few days from all the reporting. So hiring O'Connell feels like...a let down?

That said, I'm starting to get excited again. The reason is, I think this makes it even more likely the Vikings MOVE ON from Kirk Cousins. The pressure to really win now has all but evaporated. The consensus building, collaborative effort to re-tool has begun. I also expect some veterans to be gone as well. I think Kwesi is going to try to obtain additional draft picks for this draft; if not this draft then 2023.

Vikings will focus on the QBs hard, but they won't be pressured into taking one. They'll bring in a bridge QB (via trade back or free agency), continue to develop Mond, and either a 2022 rookie or 2023 rookie QB.

Change is coming to Minnesota, everyone should prepare.

• Like 1

The rest of his staff will be interesting. I think whoever the OC will be, will be an extension of O'Connell so he'll have his hands in the scheme, blueprint and game plan going forward so I'm not so worried about that. 

The defense should be interesting. In my ideal world, I've really fallen for Patrick Graham the past few days after reading up on him as much as I can. It would be a DREAM if Vikings could convince him to join up as Asst HC/DC. I know he's under contract with the Giants but typically whenever new regimes takeover, they allow current coaches to be released from contracts. 

That would be my dream. Most likely, it'll be Ed Donatell; which isn't a bad consolation. He's a Fangio disciple so that's always en vogue. 

so... O'C can't be hired before the Suoer Bowl concludes, but his staff could, right?

could he communicate to the Vikings and KAM who he wants and we pursue them? can he communicate with those people to show his intention and support?

otherwise we have a longer wait to get people on board.