Vikings Hire Kevin O’Connell as Head Coach

SemperFeist

8 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

It amazes me anyone has any idea if this is better or worse than harbaugh.....

Congratulations to him and the Vikings. I doubt they are doing this with just Cousins in mind. I'd guess the GM plans to be here much longer than that ...much. 

Sorry for the lack of hawtness

If we are going off of hawtness, O’Connell is objectively better looking. 

our decision making battery is better looking that your decision making battery

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

No way the Wilfs would alienate themselves from the other owners, IMO.

Maybe but if that is the case shame on them, just a little perspective on the issue at hand for all NFL owners.  

Every Black head coach hired in the NFL since 2000, and if there are two dates that means they were hired with two different organizations.  In bold is the one remaining.

2001 / 2006 Herm Edwards
2002 Tony Dungy
2003 Marvin Lewis
2004 / 2014   Lovie Smith
2004 Dennis Green
2005 / 2012   Romeo Crennel
2006 Art Shell
2007 Mike Tomlin
2008 Mike Singletary
2009 / 2014   Jim Caldwell
2009 Raheem Morris
2011 Leslie Frazier
2011 / 2016   Hue Jackson
2015 Todd Bowles
2017 Vance Joseph
2017 Anthony Lynn
2018 Steve Wilks
2019 Brian Flores
2021 David Culley

I do not even want to pretend to make a list of white guys hired in the same time period, it would probably be what a few hundred names?  This is a list of 19 names in 21 years.  

I guess the biggest questions going forward will be what staff O’Connell can bring in and what the game plan will be with Cousins. 

My hope is that he can follow the McVay game plan and bring in a solid DC with experience (Wink, Fangio, Etc) and hopefully someone like Muchack for the O-line. The D and our O-line are the biggest team concerns outside of QB, and I think that will be O’Connell’s main project.

Contrary to assumptions from other’s, I don’t think that O’Connell’s experience with Cousins for one year in DC increases the chances of us retaining him or extending him. I feel like a new GM and new head coach are not going to want to be tied to an old regime’s QB… especially not one that is taking up so much of the cap. I don’t expect a rebuild this year, but a revamp and retool is completely possible. Shipping Cousins off, even for less than a 1st leaves a void at the most important position on the team, but it pulls off the bandaid that could be holding the team back financially. Bring in a stopgap QB for a year or two, have them compete with Mond (who can finally get a fair shake at being coached up), and probably invest in QB through the draft even if this is a weak class. The team is trying a new approach to the future. We can’t just dip our toe into the pool, we need to dive in and take some swings. It won’t always work, but we can’t stick with the status quo of the past decade.

56 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

It amazes me anyone has any idea if this is better or worse than harbaugh.....

Congratulations to him and the Vikings. I doubt they are doing this with just Cousins in mind. I'd guess the GM plans to be here much longer than that ...much. 

Sorry for the lack of hawtness

Indeed. Harbaugh was more of a known, but the unknown might be better. It's like people who immediately label a draft pick a bust because it's not the guy they wanted to draft. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Maybe but if that is the case shame on them, just a little perspective on the issue at hand for all NFL owners.  

Every Black head coach hired in the NFL since 2000, and if there are two dates that means they were hired with two different organizations.  In bold is the one remaining.

2001 / 2006 Herm Edwards
2002 Tony Dungy
2003 Marvin Lewis
2004 / 2014   Lovie Smith
2004 Dennis Green
2005 / 2012   Romeo Crennel
2006 Art Shell
2007 Mike Tomlin
2008 Mike Singletary
2009 / 2014   Jim Caldwell
2009 Raheem Morris
2011 Leslie Frazier
2011 / 2016   Hue Jackson
2015 Todd Bowles
2017 Vance Joseph
2017 Anthony Lynn
2018 Steve Wilks
2019 Brian Flores
2021 David Culley

I do not even want to pretend to make a list of white guys hired in the same time period, it would probably be what a few hundred names?  This is a list of 19 names in 21 years.  

I’m don’t disagree with you, but we can’t go too much farther down that path here.

I was just stating what I think is most likely and realistic.

I did want Harbaugh. I felt like he gave MIN the best chance to win a SB in the next few years. BUT i do believe that Kevin gives the Vikings a better chance at long term success, because i dont think there will be a pressure/expectation to win. As there may have been with JH. I think they can take the long term approach, maintain offensive continuity & hopefully have someone (KO) help develop a young QB. So while im not exactly thrilled with this hire i do think in the bigger picture outlook, it was the right move. Plus i think Harbaugh may have been too similar to Zim in regards to a tough nosed & old school HC, who can wear thin on players. 

Some may disagree, but i think KO coming in as HC makes it MORE likely that the Vikings trade Cousins. Because i think this move means that KAM will be free to do whats best for the future of the team now, rather than be somewhat restricted with a older coach who feels the need to win now. Plus who's to say the KO loved what he saw with Cousins. I would think a young HC would want his own young QB of his selection to groom. Regardless of any previous relationships. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eric dunn said:

I did want Harbaugh. I felt like he gave MIN the best chance to win a SB in the next few years. BUT i do believe that Kevin gives the Vikings a better chance at long term success, because i dont think there will be a pressure/expectation to win. As there may have been with JH. I think they can take the long term approach, maintain offensive continuity & hopefully have someone (KO) help develop a young QB. So while im not exactly thrilled with this hire i do think in the bigger picture outlook, it was the right move. Plus i think Harbaugh may have been too similar to Zim in regards to a tough nosed & old school HC, who can wear thin on players. 

Some may disagree, but i think KO coming in as HC makes it MORE likely that the Vikings trade Cousins. Because i think this move means that KAM will be free to do whats best for the future of the team now, rather than be somewhat restricted with a older coach who feels the need to win now. Plus who's to say the KO loved what he saw with Cousins. I would think a young HC would want his own young QB of his selection to groom. Regardless of any previous relationships. 

The other side of this is if O'Connell flops, it is going to look really, really bad for KAM that he passed on a proven winner like Harbaugh.