Vikings Hire Kevin O’Connell as Head Coach

SemperFeist

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

so... O'C can't be hired before the Suoer Bowl concludes, but his staff could, right?

could he communicate to the Vikings and KAM who he wants and we pursue them? can he communicate with those people to show his intention and support?

otherwise we have a longer wait to get people on board.

I don’t think there is anything stopping them from hiring coaches, as long as they aren’t on the Rams’ or Bengals’. But, it would be a weird look. 

I’m guessing everything will be done quietly, behind the scenes until O’Connell is officially named HC. Then the staff will get filled out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

so... O'C can't be hired before the Suoer Bowl concludes, but his staff could, right?

could he communicate to the Vikings and KAM who he wants and we pursue them? can he communicate with those people to show his intention and support?

otherwise we have a longer wait to get people on board.

Yes, I think they'll work on the staff and have "unofficial" agreements in place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

So my thoughts.....

I think everyone is deflated because of the Harbaugh situation being a done deal the past few days from all the reporting. So hiring O'Connell feels like...a let down?

That said, I'm starting to get excited again. The reason is, I think this makes it even more likely the Vikings MOVE ON from Kirk Cousins. The pressure to really win now has all but evaporated. The consensus building, collaborative effort to re-tool has begun. I also expect some veterans to be gone as well. I think Kwesi is going to try to obtain additional draft picks for this draft; if not this draft then 2023.

Vikings will focus on the QBs hard, but they won't be pressured into taking one. They'll bring in a bridge QB (via trade back or free agency), continue to develop Mond, and either a 2022 rookie or 2023 rookie QB.

Change is coming to Minnesota, everyone should prepare.

whoa...As a Spartan, I was having my soul crushed by looking at having to cheer for Harbaugh...I have never been happier about a coach...

• Like 1

Cousins isn't going anywhere. Other than cap relief, it makes no sense at all.

If you think a guy who worked with Jared Goff last year and then made the Super Bowl with Matthew Stafford this year doesn't understand the importance of not getting rid of a Quarterback unless you can get a better one, I don't know what to tell you. I think O'Connell likely looks at what Cousins did this past season and thinks "If Mike Zimmer got that out of those guys, imagine what I can do!" And he's right to think so. There isn't a QB in this draft that looks like a franchise QB. Cousins already is. 

This doesn't even get to the facts that if Rodgers and Adams leave Green Bay that the Vikings are easily the favorite to win the division.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

hmm... maybe, but i don't know that can be stated by any of us for sure.

of course not, i'm just reading the room. The vikings hire a young, innovative GM, they went with a young, offensive minded HC who was a QB and has a history of working with QBs. It's going to be a build for the future IMO. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If you think a guy who worked with Jared Goff last year and then made the Super Bowl with Matthew Stafford this year doesn't understand the importance of not getting rid of a Quarterback unless you can get a better one, I don't know what to tell you.

everyone is operating under the assumption that 2022 is a "go for it!" year.

Change your assumption and your viewpoint will change. Getting a better QB is exactly my point! You need to set the team up to obtain that QB, whether its through a blockbuster trade or through the draft.

Edited by battle2heaven

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

everyone is operating under the assumption that 2022 is a "go for it!" year.

Change your assumption and your viewpoint will change. Getting a better QB is exactly my point! You need to set the team up to obtain that QB, whether its through a blockbuster trade or through the draft.

No, my viewpoint doesn't change. And neither did the Rams'. They didn't tank to go draft a QB. And theirs was a heck of a lot worse than ours.The fact is this: there are very few elite QBs. Matthew Stafford isn't even one of them. In fact, Stafford is a lot closer to Cousins than he is to Rodgers/Mahomes/Burrow. There is not a better QB available than Kirk Cousins. Not in this draft. Not via realistic trade. The QB class of 2023 isn't looking a ton better at this point. There are plenty of ways to set the team up for a better QB without tanking or making the team unwatchable next year. Trade down and acquire future draft picks and then use them to move up next year. Extend Cousins to a reasonable extension and then trade him after he blows up in KOC's offense. 

I can't believe people want to go back to the T-Jack/Ponder/Teddy purgatory years. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I can't believe people want to go back to the T-Jack/Ponder/Teddy purgatory years.

Except we are in the Cousins Purgatory years. Can people not see that? sure lets keep picking 12-22 every year. The current iteration of the Minnesota Vikings is not working.

Why are people so afraid to blow it up? What do we have to lose?

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

Except we are in the Cousins Purgatory years. Can people not see that? sure lets keep picking 12-22 every year. The current iteration of the Minnesota Vikings is not working.

Oh, I don't know. Ask the Jets/Panthers/Dolphins/Broncos - the pre-Cousins Vikings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

The GM and entire coaching staff got fired.. I'm not sure you can blow up a team much more than that.