Vikings Hire Kevin O’Connell as Head Coach

SemperFeist

22 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

A 33-7 TD:INT ratio seems pretty successful to me.  The problem is Cousins ability it’s his cap hit.  If he is willing to finally take a team friendly extension then you do it otherwise you can let him leave.  An extension now would be wise though because he will likely be even more successful under O’Connell.  More likely than not we aren’t going to be able to find a better QB than Cousins for at least 3 years because of how weak the drafts will be.  I can’t imagine you would prefer to have worse results for the next 4 years while waiting to groom a QB…. Because that’s what you’ll get by trading Cousins.  Every QB in the draft the next 2 years is going to need time to develop before they are good. The only decent veteran stop gap QB options would be guys like Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, or Sam Darnold.  All of those guys would also give worse results than Cousins.

Teddy Bridgewater was already here and had a better winning percentage than Kirk Cousins.  Most importantly though is that some point you just have to try something different. 

Just now, Worm Guts said:

Teddy Bridgewater was already here and had a better winning percentage than Kirk Cousins.  Most importantly though is that some point you just have to try something different. 

Bridgewater was on a rookie contract, but Cousins has put up better stats.  We need to merge those two ideas together and get the better stats that Cousins has and get them on a more team friendly contract extension.  If he won’t help lessen the cap hit then we can start talking trades, but it would still need to be significant value in our favor.

6 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Bridgewater was on a rookie contract, but Cousins has put up better stats.  We need to merge those two ideas together and get the better stats that Cousins has and get them on a more team friendly contract extension.  If he won’t help lessen the cap hit then we can start talking trades, but it would still need to be significant value in our favor.

Or maybe we just move on. I really can't see us continuing with Kirk past this year if we don't show improvement as a team.  The Vikings have a long history of making the playoffs with retreads, so I know it's possible, and it wouldn't have the same Groundhog's day feel as continuing with Cousins.

Edited by Worm Guts

5 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Or maybe we just move on. I really can't see us continuing with Kirk past this year if we don't show improvement as a team.  The Vikings have a long history of making the playoffs with retreads, so I know it's possible, and it wouldn't have the same Groundhog's day feel as continuing with Cousins.

And just to add on, it's one thing to play it by ear, to say that it makes sense to keep Cousins for now, it's another to set the plan to keep Cousins for the next 4 years.  That's crazy to me.

26 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I mean the overwhelming assumption is that the division is already the Vikings to take with Aaron Rodgers leaving.  So it would be a huge disappointment all around if we don’t make the playoffs.

23 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Did I read on Twitter correctly last night that the Rams were one of the top teams that ran out 11 personnel (3WR)?

I’m okay with that. Osborn as the third WR should see more reps than the FB or TE2. Might not bode well for Irv Smith and CJ Ham. Figure we would need more of a traditional in line TE like Conklin perhaps. Maybe Smith will be okay. Hard to say since he hasn’t played a ton as a starter. Do the Rams use TE2 much? 

3 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I mean the overwhelming assumption is that the division is already the Vikings to take with Aaron Rodgers leaving.  So it would be a huge disappointment all around if we don’t make the playoffs.

Which is ironic since we struggles against divisional opponents.

The fact that we need 12 to leave speaks volumes on how much of a dumpster fire this franchise is.

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m okay with that. Osborn as the third WR should see more reps than the FB or TE2. Might not bode well for Irv Smith and CJ Ham. Figure we would need more of a traditional in line TE like Conklin perhaps. Maybe Smith will be okay. Hard to say since he hasn’t played a ton as a starter. Do the Rams use TE2 much? 

Irv Smith can split reps in the slot with KJ Osborne though.  That was the plan for this past year until Smith got hurt.

5 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

Which is ironic since we struggles against divisional opponents.

The fact that we need 12 to leave speaks volumes on how much of a dumpster fire this franchise is.

Every team in every division struggles against their own divisional opponents.  That’s just the nature of knowing those teams so well.  With better coaching we were already favored to win the division whether Rodgers was here or not.

2 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Every team in every division struggles against their own divisional opponents.  That’s just the nature of knowing those teams so well.  With better coaching we were already favored to win the division whether Rodgers was here or not.

I wan 12 back in GB. I want to destroy him