Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Silver&Black88

Amari Cooper expectations

27 posts in this topic

Is this the year Coop takes off?  It seems like Carr looks Crab's way more often.  Not sure if its a trust in a veteran thing or what.  Even when Crabtree's hands forgot how to work, it felt like he got more targets last year.  Coop looks like he's working his tail off this offseason so this could be his year.  Not to mention its the cliché year 3.  He's already a good receiver, but I think we all feel like he's capable of more than he's done so far. 

I'll take a swing at his stats:

97 catches, 1312 yds, 8 TD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I think it has to be. Obv you know better than anyone what a massive cooper homer I am, but i'll take a stab at it.

 

1.His rookie year he was on pace for 1300 yards and 8td's at the halfway pt. Last year it was like 1700 yards and 4 tds at the halfway point.

2.Carr will have Jared Cook so Crabtree won't be the only guy to put attention on. With Cook, teams will have to shift attention to the middle or pay. This will open up a lot of routes for Cooper.

3.Lynch will be a terror on 3rd and short, which opens up huge opportunities for play action bombs. 

4.Cooper has had horrific luck with splash plays being negated: 

1.Trufant long TD because of BS call when he was illegally pushed out of bounds.

2.Almost 70 yard TD against bills negated by the idiotic austin howard (good riddance).

3. 70+ yard TD somehow missed in the Chiefs game, was it the lightpole??

5.He bulked up and I think Downing plans to create more plays to him so Carr won't be forcing rando throws to Crabtree.

 

IMO Crabtree is made way more by Carr than people think. Cooper is easily more talented so when people say that Crabtree "performs" like our best receiver I want to laugh. He would never get so many opportunities if Cooper wasn't occupying so much attention on the other side.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FloydFan    0
12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Honestly I think it has to be. Obv you know better than anyone what a massive cooper homer I am, but i'll take a stab at it.

 

1.His rookie year he was on pace for 1300 yards and 8td's at the halfway pt. Last year it was like 1700 yards and 4 tds at the halfway point.

2.Carr will have Jared Cook so Crabtree won't be the only guy to put attention on. With Cook, teams will have to shift attention to the middle or pay. This will open up a lot of routes for Cooper.

3.Lynch will be a terror on 3rd and short, which opens up huge opportunities for play action bombs. 

4.Cooper has had horrific luck with splash plays being negated: 

1.Trufant long TD because of BS call when he was illegally pushed out of bounds.

2.Almost 70 yard TD against bills negated by the idiotic austin howard (good riddance).

3. 70+ yard TD somehow missed in the Chiefs game, was it the lightpole??

5.He bulked up and I think Downing plans to create more plays to him so Carr won't be forcing rando throws to Crabtree.

 

IMO Crabtree is made way more by Carr than people think. Cooper is easily more talented so when people say that Crabtree "performs" like our best receiver I want to laugh. He would never get so many opportunities if Cooper wasn't occupying so much attention on the other side.

 

 

We are lucky to have them both. Crabs is awesome for a #2 receiver, but yes Cooper definitely makes his life easier. Will be interested to see what kind of year Crabtree has with the upgrades as well.  I think the addition of Patterson will be huge for the offense as well and is one most people are sleeping on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FloydFan said:

We are lucky to have them both. Crabs is awesome for a #2 receiver, but yes Cooper definitely makes his life easier. Will be interested to see what kind of year Crabtree has with the upgrades as well.  I think the addition of Patterson will be huge for the offense as well and is one most people are sleeping on.

No i agree Crabs is awesome. He's great at what he does. But I think there's a clear talent gap between him and Cooper, no doubt about it.

As far as patterson, I hate to keep patting myself on the back (:)), but I've been on a bit of a roll regarding predicting certain players ending up on the Raiders. I called this one back in January.

Patterson has unreal utility in this offense because he's one of the best "space players" in the NFL and if we do a lot of run pass options, which I think we will, we'll be able to get patterson a lot of quick screens, and end arounds, which will be insanely effective. Teams won't be able to key in on it because of Cooper, Crabs, and Cook. At the same time, we can start faking end arounds and speed sweeps and screens knowing that teams will have to bite on it at some point or pay the consequences. And that will open up Cooper, Crabs, and Cook more.

 

I'll be interested to see what Roberts does this year. IMO he has a very high ceiling, but I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled to win the #3 spot because he's soo inconsistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FloydFan    0
2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

No i agree Crabs is awesome. He's great at what he does. But I think there's a clear talent gap between him and Cooper, no doubt about it.

As far as patterson, I hate to keep patting myself on the back (:)), but I've been on a bit of a roll regarding predicting certain players ending up on the Raiders. I called this one back in January.

Patterson has unreal utility in this offense because he's one of the best "space players" in the NFL and if we do a lot of run pass options, which I think we will, we'll be able to get patterson a lot of quick screens, and end arounds, which will be insanely effective. Teams won't be able to key in on it because of Cooper, Crabs, and Cook. At the same time, we can start faking end arounds and speed sweeps and screens knowing that teams will have to bite on it at some point or pay the consequences. And that will open up Cooper, Crabs, and Cook more.

 

I'll be interested to see what Roberts does this year. IMO he has a very high ceiling, but I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled to win the #3 spot because he's soo inconsistent.

I agree 100%. Cooper is obviously in a level of his own. He's amazing. Love seeing someone else be high on what Patterson brings to the team. This could be a very fun season for us. With a QB like Carr he has the ability to be a slot weapon that is very rare in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BayRaider    8

Cooper should break out this year. 1300 yards at least. He's going in the early 2nd Round of Fantasy Drafts for a reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Cooper should break out this year. 1300 yards at least. He's going in the early 2nd Round of Fantasy Drafts for a reason. 

Because people are still putting too much on him. He is great. I own his jersey. He can get better as he and Carr trust each other more. But I don't think he'll ever be a top 5 WR in the league. With his struggles in the redzone I wouldn't be taking him in the second rd. I hope I'm way off but the proof is in the pudding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to PFF Cooper has never scored from inside 15 yards in his career and he didn't score inside 32 yards all of last season.  He also had a measly 13 targets in the red zone last year.  That being said I see Cooper posting 90 catches 1,250 yards and 6 TD's.  Solid season but not elite level...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expecting a pretty big year out of him tbh. Also I think it speaks volumes to the type of player he is when we can all realistically expect more out of him after a season where he was 8th in the NFL in yards in his 2nd year at 22 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2017 at 3:15 PM, NightTrainLane said:

Because people are still putting too much on him. He is great. I own his jersey. He can get better as he and Carr trust each other more. But I don't think he'll ever be a top 5 WR in the league. With his struggles in the redzone I wouldn't be taking him in the second rd. I hope I'm way off but the proof is in the pudding.

It's a little early. I think he'll get there as he gets bigger and more physical. He doesn't need to ever dominate the redzone to be a top 5 receiver and he scored there on 2 pt conversions so clearly he can do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If Cooper doesn't break out this year, (career highs across the board)  I'm blaming Derek Carr.

Edited by SilverNBlackFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2017 at 3:15 PM, NightTrainLane said:

Because people are still putting too much on him. He is great. I own his jersey. He can get better as he and Carr trust each other more. But I don't think he'll ever be a top 5 WR in the league. With his struggles in the redzone I wouldn't be taking him in the second rd. I hope I'm way off but the proof is in the pudding.

Can we even say that he struggles in the Redzone if Carr flat out never gives him an opportunity to make a play or fail? He literally doesn't look the guys way alot of the time. 

It's asinine that Seth Roberts gets way more targets there than our top 5 pick, best offensive player on our team does. If it's a "trust" thing, then I put the onus on Derek Carr, as our franchise QB, to figure out a way to build that chemistry, timing and trust with Coop. Because it's hurting our team not to basically eliminate our best player when it's money time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BackinBlack    0

Crazy to hear hes never scored within the 15 yard line, however, as we all know Carr loves throwing that fade to Crab in the endzone (like 2point NO game)

I think this year we see the transition from Crabtree to Cooper in terms of Carrs go to guy. Cooper struggled with some bad timed drops his first year, and while improved last year it seemed like the few drops he had where on 3rd down. 

He also had a few TDs called back, I remember the first SD game he shouldve had 4 TDs alone. 

Im thinking he'll be around 100+, 1400, 8

(thinking might equal praying)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
drfrey13    1

Amari's year is going to come down to Carr.  Carr needs to feed the ball to Cooper until the D figures out a way to stop him.  When Cooper is going up against a top DB Carr tends to ignore Cooper for long stretches even when he is winning the matchup.  I am hoping that had more to do with the OC then Carr's desicion making ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×