2022 Draft Stuff

animaltested

• 1 month later...

First mock of the year for me:

1.9 TRADE => 1.12 + 3.76

With some talented EDGE still on the board, decided to pick up some more capital in case I needed to trade up. 

1.12 EDGE Jermaine Johnson II: FSU

I'm in line here with Rob Stanton. JJII is what Seattle needs on the edge; bringing some juice from the outside. I think him and Taylor are a good pairing, and can work both sides.

2.41 QB Matt Corral: Miss

I thought I was going to have to move up; but he did slide here. Between Pickett, Howell and Ridder; MC fits Seattle the best. I think IRL; if Seattle like Corral, they will probably need to trade up to 31 or 33 to nab him. Hence; moving down from 9 to pick up a bit of capital to use in case. 

2.42 TRADE => 2.48 + 4.113

Bit more capital to work with

2.48 LB Leo Chenal: Wisc

Highly doubt he lasts here until 48 but there is a lot of talent at LB in the 2nd. He can battle with Barton for the LB2 spot.

3.74 CB Martin Emerson; Miss St

Kinda of a throwback to early Seattle DBs. They seem to favor speed now but still think this would be a good spot to grab a boundary DB to compete with Brown and Jones.

3.76 OT Rasheed Walker; PSU

Has the size and length Seattle covets; and sounds like a bit of a project. Would compete with Forsythe and Curhan at RT or backup LT spot.

4.106 OL Zach Tom; Wake Forest

Drafted with the mind he would move inside. Not sure whats going to happen with Pocic, but at the very least a C project with some versatility to play with

4.113 DB Tariq Casto-Fields: PSU

Ran a 4.3 and seemingly has a speed Seattle is looking for in the secondary. Id imagine he would be slated to compete as a Nickel, with some boundary versatility. 

5.150 DB JT Woods; Baylor

Workout star; tested well, good showing in the Senior Bowl. A guy that probably goes much higher than people expect. Id imagine Ryan Neal is gone, so Woods has a shot to compete for the 3rd safety role, and should 100 contribute on Special Teams

5.151 DL Otito Ogbonnia; UCLA

Really want Seattle to add some youth to the interior. Otito has unteachable length, and could be a solid rotational player along the front.

7. 227 RB Abram Smith; Baylor

Some obvious Chris Carson vibes here. Big contributor on special teams which Seattle seems to covet from backup RB positions. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 12:04 PM, SaveOurSonics said:

This is by far the least studied I've been for a draft over the last 10+ years (kids will do that to you) so I'm really counting on you guys to keep me privy to what's going on. 

If there's any particular prospects I should check out, let me know! 

Probably just names that have been heavily attached to Seattle:

EDGE Jermaine Johnson II FSU

QB Desmond Ridder

DE Logan Hall HOU

EDGE Boye Mafe MINN

IOL Cole Strange Chattanooga

OT Rasheed Walker PSU

RB Dameon Pierce FLO

WR Christian Watson NDSU

S Percy Butler ULA

S JT Woods BAY

DB Cam Britt-Taylor NEB

DB Deontai Williams NEB

LB Cameron Goode CAL

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting around to watching some guys. Quick takes from me. 

• There isn't a QB in this class worthy of a 1st round selection.
  • Willis has massive bust potential with his inability to read the middle of the field. 
  • Pickett is easily the best QB prospect but -- if he hits -- his range of outcomes fall somewhere between Andy Dalton and Kirk Cousins. 
  • Corral reminds me a lot of Mariota coming out. Smaller frame. Quick release. Lethal in the short to intermediate game but his release results in questionable deep accuracy. Great mobility. Very questionable durability at the next level. 
  • Ridder is by far my least favorite of the 4. Really struggled against superior competition (even a program like Indiana). Lacks zip to any area of the field. Very questionable decision making when under duress. Slender frame. 
  • Evan Neal is the #1 prospect in this class? That is a really bad look for the rest of this class. I probably would've had him as my #5 LT in the 2020 class. 

Planning on watching Ekwonu, Cross, Penning, and then moving onto some of the pass rushers next. 

21 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Finally getting around to watching some guys. Quick takes from me. 

• There isn't a QB in this class worthy of a 1st round selection.
  • Willis has massive bust potential with his inability to read the middle of the field. 
  • Pickett is easily the best QB prospect but -- if he hits -- his range of outcomes fall somewhere between Andy Dalton and Kirk Cousins. 
  • Corral reminds me a lot of Mariota coming out. Smaller frame. Quick release. Lethal in the short to intermediate game but his release results in questionable deep accuracy. Great mobility. Very questionable durability at the next level. 
  • Ridder is by far my least favorite of the 4. Really struggled against superior competition (even a program like Indiana). Lacks zip to any area of the field. Very questionable decision making when under duress. Slender frame. 
  • Evan Neal is the #1 prospect in this class? That is a really bad look for the rest of this class. I probably would've had him as my #5 LT in the 2020 class. 

Planning on watching Ekwonu, Cross, Penning, and then moving onto some of the pass rushers next. 

I'm fairly meh on Ekwonu. Doesn't sound like he'll make it too us anyways but I didn't see a player with the type of anchor and functional strength necessary to consistently win at this level. I was honestly surprised by how often he was moved off his mark by stronger rushers. 

Now......Charles Cross. It took me 7 players to find one that I REALLY like, and I REALLY like Charles Cross. Put 5-10 pounds on this kid and he has a Pro Bowl skill set already. Excellent anchor and does a great job utilizing his length to draw first blood against his opposition. He is actually my favorite LT between he, Neal, and Ekwonu. 

Gonna watch Sauce & Stingley next. 

Final Mock before the draft:

1.9. Trade with Minnesota for a 1st and a 3rd

1.12. NT Jordan Davis - There has been some smoke lately about Davis and Seattle. With the shift to a 3-4; getting a high ceiling NT would be a boon. Poona-Woods-Davis could be a very disruptive front on early downs. 

2.40. QB Sam Howell - Im starting to come around on Howell. His game is very similar to Russ's (Big arm, elusive, Hero Ball tendencies, neglects the easy stuff). If you can clean up the mechanics and get him to drop some bugaboos he could be a true gamer at QB.

2.41. Trade will Philly to spread the picks out and pick up some more late round fliers

2.51. EDGE Drake Jackson - Has some great traits; alot of potential. Good place to easy him in with Taylor, Uwe, Robinson. 

3.72 IOL Cam Jurgens - Fits the mold of the Dickerson C. My guess is he goes higher round 2. 

3.77 DB Cam Taylor-Britt - Fits the template of a Pete Ball DB; has solid versatility. 

3.101 OT Rasheed Walker - Prototypical Size and Length; needs alot of work. Very similar to Stone and Curhan. Hopefully Seattle can bring back Duane and let the youngings compete at RT.

4.109 LB Darren Beavers - Solid Inside LB to compete at spot next to Brooks (with Ige and Barton)

5.145 DB JT Woods - Great testing, played well at the senior bowl; could be a ST + player. 

5.153 RB Abram Smith - Another guy I think goes WAY higher. Seems like a Chris Carson type.

5.166 DB Kalon Barnes - Alot of speed at teh CB position which is something Seattle seems to covet now. 

7.225 WR Velus Jones Jr - Fits the profile at WR

8 minutes ago, animaltested said:

1.12. NT Jordan Davis - There has been some smoke lately about Davis and Seattle. With the shift to a 3-4; getting a high ceiling NT would be a boon. Poona-Woods-Davis could be a very disruptive front on early downs.

Mind you I haven't crunched his tape, but wouldn't it be a weird fit to plug a 1-tech NT at 34 DE? That Poona/Woods/Davis trio sounds like 3 NTs. 

54 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Mind you I haven't crunched his tape, but wouldn't it be a weird fit to plug a 1-tech NT at 34 DE? That Poona/Woods/Davis trio sounds like 3 NTs. 

Was thinking more of a rotation of 2 at a time. Much like they did last year. Id Imagine Jefferson/Collier would be the 3rd.

Davis would be lined up over the center I'd imagine.

Edited by animaltested

7 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Now......Charles Cross. It took me 7 players to find one that I REALLY like, and I REALLY like Charles Cross. Put 5-10 pounds on this kid and he has a Pro Bowl skill set already. Excellent anchor and does a great job utilizing his length to draw first blood against his opposition. He is actually my favorite LT between he, Neal, and Ekwonu. 

Obviously I love the pick. 

• Like 1

Boye Mafe looks pretty good. More of a late 2nd / early 3rd round type to me so wouldn't LOVE him with one of these next 2 picks. David Ojabo seems like a pretty major project player with a serious injury so he's probably not in consideration for me. Didn't love the tape even when he was healthy. 

Currently watching Arnold Ebiketie and I'm thinking this is going to be my preferred pick at #40. High motor. Very slippery when he gets an opening. Creative pass rush arsenal. Fluid athlete. Very long build. Highly graded win rate. I'm only 1 game in so these may be overreactions but I'll watch a few more to confirm this assessment. 

Planning on watching Drake Jackson and Nik Bonitto before turning over to CBs. Feel free to let me know if there are any other EDGE players I should be checking out! @animaltested