2018 Browns Mock Offseason to end all mokks blah blah blah

NudeTayne

If it's gotta be Hue or Gordon...  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which side of the fence are you on?

• Josh Gordon (Hornby)
    • Let's bench more quarterbacks.

**Kenny Britt is cut.**

2nd off...YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS for the HOU/IND game today--what a rush.  We need the Colts getting wins as much as we need the Texans losing.

It's about that time--mock season--, folks.  I see the Browns "finishing strong" and locking up the #1 pick.  The Texans only win one more game this year and end up with the fourth pick in the draft: 1. CLE / 2. NYG / 3. SF / 4. CLE f/HOU / 5. AZ / 6. TB / 7. IND / 8. CHI / 9. CIN / 10. BAL / --top ten picks.  Eat your freaking heart out, @Mind Character; this will be...thorough.

**Offseason**

In an unorthodox move, the Browns and Hue Jackson are in mutual agreement that Hue would be best served coaching elsewhere.  He has permission to speak with Cincinnati.  Marvin Lewis retires and the Browns trade Hue to Cincinnati for an exchange of 7th rounders, with Cincinnati picking up the remaining years of Hue's contract.  I do not feel extremely solid in candidates at the moment so am not going to name our next coach.  Whoever he is, though, I see him having an even-keeled, communicator style to work well with all levels of management/ownership/players, someone in the Pete Carroll/Jason Garrett realm.  I'd love Harbaugh, but I don't see it happening.  So yeah, let's say we get Harbaugh (lol).

**Free Agency**

CB Trumaine Johnson

FullSizeRender-109.jpg

We need some handsome men to make us forget about Janeane G. 4yrs/50mil, 28mil guaranteed.  There are several solid 2nd round CBs to learn under Trumaine.  The plan is to grab one in the 2nd or 3rd, depending on how the draft is going. 

73791_h.jpg?itok=ZEGI6HTn

WR Terrelle Pryor 3yrs/21mil, 26 possible with incentives, 10mil guaranteed.  He comes back home with a middling contract, more guaranteed money than others were offering.  The front office is professional and has no hard feelings.  Pryor feels welcome after bolting prematurely. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697597-terrelle-pryor-reportedly-wanted-to-return-to-browns-after-redskins-offer

The Browns go light on free agents, as Sashi & Co. don't want to over pay for players that are looking for money grabs.  Instead, they use an analytics-based approach in going feast/famine every other year to maximize comp picks; 2018 will be a famine year as far as signings.

U6401Qg5_400x400.jpg

Josh-Allen-DL.jpg?w=630&h=420&zc=1&cc=00

1. Josh Allen QB WYOMING.  This will be a bit of a surprise, but I see his stock going up & up & up as more people take notice.  I see Darnold going back to school, and I like Allen better anyway.  He really does remind me of Aaron Rodgers.  #imatfullchubhere  He's also 6'5" / 222 and can do it all.  He's got a clutch gene, is reported to be a leader and is used to inclement weather.  Sign me up.

usa-saquon-barkley-psu.jpg?itok=Hc6eAZqW

2. **Cleveland Browns trade pick #4, #37, 4th Rd. CLE for #2.  Saquon Barkley RB Penn State.  He's gonna be hurdling Steelers for years to come.  I see this trade as being very possible, likely even, in this scenario.  As much as NYG would love to grab Barkley, they may have the worst o-line in the league.  I predict a few tackles going top-15, possibly two going top-10.  It makes sense for NY to move back a few spots to grab someone like McGlinchey.  We'll be riding with Barkley / Johnson / Dayes.  Me likey.

equanimeous-st-brown.jpg

33. Equanimeous St. Brown WR Notre Dame.  I predict Josh Gordon is our guy moving forward.  Suck it, nerds.  Anywho, we're going to need another guy, even with Pryor, whom I could see just playing here for two year.  It'll be great to turn a weakness into a strength.  This is also insurance in case JG has a regression of intelligence.  Oh, and as far as the player, he's 6'4" / 205 & runs a 4'5".  He is also very polished with solid hands.  I see him being available here as there are many 10-50 WRs in this draft & he has been underutilized.

30e1aacd7ebb95a008028adcd205c684_crop_no

60. Iman Marshall CB USC.  I see him being the best of what's left here and gives us another weakness-turned-to-strength.  Still a bit inconsistent but having all the instincts, athleticism, technique and ball skills to make it in the NFL.  I see McCourty spending some time at FS this season with our glut at CB.  This defense should be consistently top-10 sooner rather than later with our shoring up the secondary in one offseason.

65. ***Trade***Pick traded straight up for 2019 2nd & 4th round picks to a middling team we are hoping will tank out a la Houston.  The Browns analytic'ers see that this isn't a very deep draft and choose to replenish their reserves after using a lot of draft capital trading up.  The goal is to be loaded in every draft.  There will be players available in the 4th round that are relatively similar to those available in the third--lots of flawed players with projections.

Isaiah-Wynn.jpg

111. Isaiah Wynn OL GEORGIA.  He is a mean run blocker and would be a great fit at C.  Tretter hasn't done especially well there and may be best used as a swing.  At 6'2" / 300, I see him being available here and being a solid pick for us.  It'd be especially great for him to work out with this being a bonus pick from trading Andy Lee to the Panthers.  A fourth for a punter...

Serious-guy.jpg

CLE 5th RD. Cole Reyes S North Dakota.  A small school guy with a lot of talent, he'll sit for a bit before making multiple Pro Bowls--i.e., the Kai Nacua route.  I don't know about you guys, but I'm loving this draft.

788674.jpg

5th RD Compensatory from KC for Cam Irving LULZ. Chris Worley LB tehOhioState.   He'll be a great rotational player who may develop into a starter.  Projected at the moment in the 4th-6th range, he'd be nice value here.

I'll assume we trade the rest of the picks away.  Done :-D.  Let me know whatcha' think.  Our roster is gonna be stacked.  Go Browns.  Go Colts.  

For every Browns fan looking to go the route of 'build a stacked team with talent everywhere and THEN find your franchise QB'--- I implore you to look at the current Denver Broncos.

Talent everywhere, 6-10 pro bowl level players on that team with a top defense and yet, without a QB, its all for nothing.

I hope that team can serve as a nail in the coffin to anybody wanting to keep developing a QB while spending high draft picks on CBs, DEs and WRs.

Its simple, you either have a franchise QB or you dont. If you dont, it doesnt matter what level of talent you have, you will lose and lose a lot.

Yeah, Josh Allen isn't a legit first round QB option. He could go back for a year and possibly develop and become better, but right now I wouldn't spend a 2nd on him let alone #1 overall. If we are going QB there it should be Rosen, Mayfield, or Jackson. But really, we should just take Barkley #1 and not have to spend capital moving up from #4.

38 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Yeah, Josh Allen isn't a legit first round QB option. He could go back for a year and possibly develop and become better, but right now I wouldn't spend a 2nd on him let alone #1 overall. If we are going QB there it should be Rosen, Mayfield, or Jackson. But really, we should just take Barkley #1 and not have to spend capital moving up from #4.

No. You take a QB #1 overall. Drafting a RB #1 is not only laughable given that you could still get a good RB with the Texans pick (Guice) or in the 2nd (Love).

The Browns need a QB point blank period and need to stop overthinking it. Again, look at the Broncos if you think drafting a bunch of good players with no QB is a legit option.

Give it time, when the offseason comes around and players declare. QBs will get evaluated after the college season, combine, ect and there WILL become 1 or 2 QBs labeled as potential franchise guys. Whether that be Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, Mayfield, ect. One will emerge and the Browns BETTER take that guy with their #1 pick.

6 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

That Cole Reyes kid looks like he is 14. I cannot get on board with picking anyone who looks like he would get trucked in High School Junior Varsity game.

This goes back to my age old draft technique. After the 3rd round---all you do is draft the biggest scarriest guy on the board in every round and pray he works out.

Its foolproof and guaranteed to work more times than not.

57 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

This goes back to my age old draft technique. After the 3rd round---all you do is draft the biggest scarriest guy on the board in every round and pray he works out.

Its foolproof and guaranteed to work more times than not.

Someone was clearly using your draft strategy when the McQuistan brothers were drafted. Your strategy may have also been in use when Kyle Orton's neck beard was drafted.

3 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

It's interesting...everyone has their flaws.  They could all be top-5 dudes or all second rounders.  Lamar Jackson has some serious accuracy issues at times and is very slight.  Rosen has some legit character stuff as well as being very sloppy at times.  I like Rosen a lot as well--just wanted to mix things up a bit as much as anything.  I love me some Mayfield but just not sure about that high.  I just can't possibly see us not drafting a passer next year.  If we don't sign someone like Cousins, seriously, what are we going to do?  It'd be darn near a fan mutiny if we don't get a guy next year with the #1 pick.

15 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

It's interesting...everyone has their flaws.  They could all be top-5 dudes or all second rounders.  Lamar Jackson has some serious accuracy issues at times and is very slight.  Rosen has some legit character stuff as well as being very sloppy at times.  I like Rosen a lot as well--just wanted to mix things up a bit as much as anything.  I love me some Mayfield but just not sure about that high.  I just can't possibly see us not drafting a passer next year.  If we don't sign someone like Cousins, seriously, what are we going to do?  It'd be darn near a fan mutiny if we don't get a guy next year with the #1 pick.

Has a 1st round prospect QB going back to school ever benefited them? I feel like everytime a big name guy returns to school they crumble along with their draft stock. I mostly say this because of every USC QB ever.

At the end of the day you have to do your research and pull the dam trigger on a guy. This team has let so many QBs slip away because they get cold feet and have never actually aggressively pursued a guy they felt strongly about. Do that or literally just take the highest ranked QB every mock draft says is the best. If they are scared on blowing a high pick on a QB, simply take the consensus national pick that everybody feels strongly about.

Forget measurables because they are useless. Thats how you end up with Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch on your team by becoming too facinated with physical traits. Draft the QB that has:

1) Accuracy. You cant teach accuracy. It is THE most important trait in a QB. You have it or you dont. Accuracy does just magically get learned.

2) Mental. You need a QB who can learn a playbook, know the game, read the defense and make good decisions

3) Leadership. Players want a guy they can trust playing with. The youngest team in the NFL needs a strong leader.

You know who that QB is? Either Rosen or Mayfield. 

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Has a 1st round prospect QB going back to school ever benefited them? I feel like everytime a big name guy returns to school they crumble along with their draft stock. I mostly say this because of every USC QB ever.

At the end of the day you have to do your research and pull the dam trigger on a guy. This team has let so many QBs slip away because they get cold feet and have never actually aggressively pursued a guy they felt strongly about. Do that or literally just take the highest ranked QB every mock draft says is the best. If they are scared on blowing a high pick on a QB, simply take the consensus national pick that everybody feels strongly about.

Forget measurables because they are useless. Thats how you end up with Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch on your team by becoming too facinated with physical traits. Draft the QB that has:

1) Accuracy. You cant teach accuracy. It is THE most important trait in a QB. You have it or you dont. Accuracy does just magically get learned.

2) Mental. You need a QB who can learn a playbook, know the game, read the defense and make good decisions

3) Leadership. Players want a guy they can trust playing with. The youngest team in the NFL needs a strong leader.

You know who that QB is? Either Rosen or Mayfield. 

Rosen is the guy I like to watch/want to be a Brown most.  I just don't see the Browns taking a risk on a guy like him so I went Josh Allen.  I see Philip Rivers moxy in Rosen, but others see a donkeyhat.

13 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Rosen is the guy I like to watch/want to be a Brown most.  I just don't see the Browns taking a risk on a guy like him so I went Josh Allen.  I see Philip Rivers moxy in Rosen, but others see a donkeyhat.

I don't get your reasoning though. And I'm okay with doing something different to do something different, really. But if the idea is to avoid risk, isn't the guy who has played like poop this year, in freaking D2, a bigger risk than the guy who's risk factor seems to be "might be an a$%^&le"? Like, I've watched Allen this year, it's not all (or even mostly) bad supporting cast, he has looked AWFUL most of the time. And I don't think his arm is even as strong as it's hyped to be. If we go QB, I think the only three I'm on board with right now are Rosen/Mayfield/Jackson. I think Jackson's "accuracy issues" come from drops way, waaaay more so than Allen's accuracy issues this year do. He's got room to grow, all these guys do, but I think Allen is by far the riskiest.

Archived