Justin Jefferson: Keep getting better in Year 3!

vike daddy

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The All-Pro team comes from 50 media voters selected by the Associated Press. This year, two players appeared on the first-team ballot of every player.

The unanimous first-team All-Pros were Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson and Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce.

Both received 50 first-place votes from the 50 voters.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/13/justin-jefferson-travis-kelce-become-unanimous-ap-all-pros/

PP7 and Darrisaw should have been 2nd team. 

• Like 2

These are the WRs in JJs draft class that will garner big (ish) 2nd contracts

Lamb

Jeudy

Aiyuk

Higgins

Pittman

Gabe Davis

Mooney

You would probably want to get something done before Lamb. But other then that, I don't see anyone else resetting the market. Maybe Higgins, but that will be in free agency, not from the bengals themselves. 

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It'll be interesting to see if the others wait to see where JJ lands on his deal before they get theirs.  Obviously none of them are in his class, so if he sets the top, they could all flow down from there.

I'm thinking that is what will happen. JJ will reset the WR market this offseason for extensions; and the rest will follow his lead.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

we'll see. JJ is better then AJ Brown and whoever else re-setted it. The cap is going to go up a lot in a year; I have a feeling JJ will reset it again.

The top average salary for a WR is Tyreek at $30M (4 yrs, $120M).  I'd have to think JJ will get a little more than that, but probably not enough to reset it, unless they give him something in the neighborhood of 4 yrs, $160M.   It likely will be less than that though (I'd probably say $35M average).  The difference though is that JJ is a lot younger than Tyreek was.   

Edited by swede700

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

we'll see. JJ is better then AJ Brown and whoever else re-setted it. The cap is going to go up a lot in a year; I have a feeling JJ will reset it again.

Just because a player is better doesn’t mean they get paid more, or will reset the market. 

My prediction for Jefferson is the Devante Adams deal, with a little more guaranteed money. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Just because a player is better doesn’t mean they get paid more, or will reset the market. 

My prediction for Jefferson is the Devante Adams deal, with a little more guaranteed money. 

I guess maybe we have definitions of resetting the market. When I say reset the market, I mean, he'll top the current high AAV. 

I feel like he will. If he doesn't, that's a win for the Vikings.

I would be mildly shocked if Jefferson sets the new high for AAV. Honestly, he doesn’t have the leverage for it. The Vikings have always taken care of their players, so I certainly don’t expect them play hard ball. But Jefferson is under team control for 4 more years, and each year is going to be quite a bit under the top AAV. 

A long term contract is in the best interest of both Jefferson and the Vikings. So, a deal will almost assuredly get done. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I would be mildly shocked if Jefferson sets the new high for AAV. Honestly, he doesn’t have the leverage for it. The Vikings have always taken care of their players, so I certainly don’t expect them play hard ball. But Jefferson is under team control for 4 more years, and each year is going to be quite a bit under the top AAV. 

A long term contract is in the best interest of both Jefferson and the Vikings. So, a deal will almost assuredly get done. 

by 4 more years, you mean

2023 - 4th yr

2024 - 5th yr option

2025 - franchise tag #1

2026 - franchise tag #2?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

by 4 more years, you mean

2023 - 4th yr

2024 - 5th yr option

2025 - franchise tag #1

2026 - franchise tag #2?

Yes. And he’d be looking at ~$75M-$80M over those 4 years, all of which would basically be pay for play. 

The Vikings could easily give him that $75M-$80M in guarantees on a long term contract in exchange for a slightly lover AAV deal.