Justin Jefferson: Keep getting better in Year 3!

vike daddy

18 hours ago, swede700 said:

I don't see how that data presented with the claim that AJ Brown is the best receiver in the NFL against press coverage supports the claim. It is intuitive that the more a receiver is targeted the more yards they'll have per route. That data clearly shows that Brown is targeted a bunch in press situations. It looks to me like he is only above the average trend line, which isn't displayed with the data.

Based on the information presented, Tyler Lockett looks to knock out home runs when he is thrown the ball in that situation. Assuming Lockett and DK Metcalf are pressed on the same plays, it looks like Metcalf takes a lot of the targets in those situations.

AJ Brown is a very good receiver, but if that data set is what was used to reach the conclusion that was claimed, I disagree with that jump. AJ Brown is targeted the most when pressed and does a good job. Sure, getting targeted often means beating coverage, but it may also mean that his teammates were not becoming viable targets on those plays. To me, looking at the data Tyler Lockett is the receiver that appears to standout the most from the trend line. Having a teammate that also does well when pressed causes him to share targets more equally, while Brown may have benefitted from being on more of a one-trick pony team and may have further benefitted from pressing DBs being forced to pay attention to the Titan run game and therefore unable to turn and run with the receiver as quickly. 

15 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I don't see how that data presented with the claim that AJ Brown is the best receiver in the NFL against press coverage supports the claim. It is intuitive that the more a receiver is targeted the more yards they'll have per route. That data clearly shows that Brown is targeted a bunch in press situations. It looks to me like he is only above the average trend line, which isn't displayed with the data.

The average trend lines are the red lines.  I'm not sure where you're seeing he's just simply above it. I'm also not sure that it's "intuitive" that the more they are targeted the more yards they'll have per route, because as you can see from the data, Stefon Diggs is targeted in press far above average, but his YPRR is below average.  What I assume from the data (and I'm certainly not an expert) is that YPRR is receiver equivalent to the YPA for a QB...it's not intuitive that that number is going to tell you a whole lot on its own, but when it's compared against others at the same position, that's when you can see what a difference it makes, as the better receivers will separate themselves.

9 hours ago, swede700 said:

The average trend lines are the red lines.  I'm not sure where you're seeing he's just simply above it. I'm also not sure that it's "intuitive" that the more they are targeted the more yards they'll have per route, because as you can see from the data, Stefon Diggs is targeted in press far above average, but his YPRR is below average.  What I assume from the data (and I'm certainly not an expert) is that YPRR is receiver equivalent to the YPA for a QB...it's not intuitive that that number is going to tell you a whole lot on its own, but when it's compared against others at the same position, that's when you can see what a difference it makes, as the better receivers will separate themselves.

Rather than trend line, perhaps you know it as the regression line. The red lines most certainly are not that. If you drew that through the the graph you would see that there are receivers further above the line than Brown, who would be above the line. Being above the line is what I would call above average, which is why looking at that graph I see Brown as being above average.

If it is not intuitive to you that one would get more of a stat as they are given more opportunities to accumulate the stat then what I was saying will not make any sense to you, which is probably why there is a disconnect in how you and I would interpret data. Which method of interpreting data is not always obvious and two people using two different methods can come to vastly different conclusions. Variety is the spice of life. I wouldn't conclude that AJ Brown is the NFLs best receiver in press coverage based on the data that was presented.

When I see that data I only see that Brown is above average in that situation and is used in that situation way more than his peers.

Edited by Cearbhall

• 3 weeks later...

Despite only being two years into his NFL career, Justin Jefferson is already one of the best receivers in the game. But game recognizes game, and the Minnesota Vikings star wideout has faced his fair share of elite opposition at the cornerback position. When appearing on The Ringer NFL Show, he was asked to name the top corners he’s gone head-to-head with as a Viking.

Jefferson: Jalen Ramsey, of course, is a top-tier cornerback, his ability to be long and to be aggressive. That’s definitely one of the three things that is so difficult to get by him. Marshon Lattimore is also a difficult corner to go up against. He’s twitchy, he’s fast and you can’t really beat him off the ball too much. So it’s all technical.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/01/justin-jefferson-names-two-toughest-corners-hes-faced-nfl/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0DB1PYo_IqvEn2ZAW6tZwq6vywxeB3DQ3hLrp23ZEUQySBA_Z0P5A1MCs

• Like 1

Somehow it's amazing that the Vikings have 2 of the top 4 in scrimmage yards in the last 2 years...yet, the team has been so mediocre (it's the defense, obviously...).  It should also be surprising that a WR cracked the top 5...and it's JJ!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Jefferson: “I’ll say after this year I’ll be the best receiver in the NFL. I definitely have to give it to Davante Adams as of now, him being so crazy and dynamic on the field. His route running is crazy, so I definitely have to give it to him right now, but I’m pretty sure after this year, it’s going to be me.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/16/justin-jefferson-predicts-hell-overtake-davante-adams-nfls-best-receiver-2022/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2DUB3f9oFaT0DqRkRz4pZvqwK2FpDKI1_6Tt4jSFd0Pt76PGijV_96NKY

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Justin Jefferson wants to be the first receiver to crack the 2,000-yard barrier.

Jefferson: “I think I can. Hopefully, everything goes right and I can get that 2,000. That’s my goal.”

[O’Connell] can do a lot. He’ll put me in different positions, put me in motion, put me in different spots to get the ball, So we’re excited about this new offense. I feel great about all the different coaches coming into the building. Everybody’s having a great connection with all the players.

“We’re definitely all excited about the new people coming in and what we’re going to bring to the table. I feel like this year, with the new coaches, we’re more laid back, we’re more comfortable with the new coaches. I just feel like with the new style of offense, I think it’s going to be great for us.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/26/justin-jefferson-targets-the-first-ever-2000-yard-receiving-season/

• Like 1

Deebo Samuel, the star wide receiver who has been sitting out training camp practices while negotiating a new contract, has agreed to a three-year extension, according to multiple reports.

It’s reportedly worth $71.55 million, including $58.1 million guaranteed. Although the full structure of the contract is not yet out, the topline numbers are almost identical to the three-year, $72 million contract DK Metcalf just signed with the Seahawks.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/31/49ers-deebo-samuel-agree-to-three-year-contract-extension/

how much will young Justin be making soon...?