Post-Senior Bowl QB Draft Status

Just Want A Title

If I had to take a QB in the first two rounds in this class, it would probably be Sam Howell at the end of the first or early in the second round. Like Goff, Howell relies a lot on his pass blocking. If you can protect him, he can do damage. But frankly, I think I'd spend a Day 3 pick on Jack Coan to get the Lions a solid backup in the short term and wait until next year on anything further at QB. (See if Goff can build on his end of the season run, and hope there are better options next year if he doesn't.)

• Like 1

I can't believe I'm going to say this...but Goff looked good enough the last quarter of the year that I think we legitimately need to give him a chance.(and some weapons)  I don't think any of the QBs in this draft are an upgrade over him.  And let's be honest there's no pressure to take one.  If there was a good one available i'd be all for it but there's not so don't force it.  We have holes at every position that we could really go BPA for real and build a legit team.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I think that’s a great idea.

The ONLY issue that I have with this is that it will create a QB controversy if Goff starts to struggle a little bit. Everyone loves the back up QB.

I like Minshew but he's also not likely the long term answer. So what are you really getting out of the potential controversy?

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

The ONLY issue that I have with this is that it will create a QB controversy if Goff starts to struggle a little bit. Everyone loves the back up QB.

I like Minshew but he's also not likely the long term answer. So what are you really getting out of the potential controversy?

I've always thought that controversy makes the cream rise to the crop. If he can't beat out Minshew, he shouldn't be starting. Also, just because fans' favorite player is the backup qb, doesn't mean the coaching staff feels the same way. The controversy, imo, only occurs if the coaching staff mismanages the situation. Always start with putting talent on your team.

2 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I've always thought that controversy makes the cream rise to the crop. If he can't beat out Minshew, he shouldn't be starting. Also, just because fans' favorite player is the backup qb, doesn't mean the coaching staff feels the same way. The controversy, imo, only occurs if the coaching staff mismanages the situation. Always start with putting talent on your team.

That's kind of my concern (albeit a small one)... mismanaging of it. 

I like Minshew and would love for him to be a Lion but he's a stop gap in the same sense that Goff is. We'd just have a stronger back up position than we've had since Shaun Hill was in town. 

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

We already have a QB controversy. We don't know if Goff is the guy going forward or not. If Goff can't handle the stress of a capable back up I'd say it's a strong indicator he's not the guy going forward. Avoiding bringing in because they might be too much competition seems like the opposite of the culture Campbell is trying to build. 

Edited by Nnivolcm
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

That's kind of my concern (albeit a small one)... mismanaging of it. 

I like Minshew and would love for him to be a Lion but he's a stop gap in the same sense that Goff is. We'd just have a stronger back up position than we've had since Shaun Hill was in town. 

I know you're not that concerned with this as you have stated, but for the sake of argument...If Campbell loses the team by creating a qb controversy with Goff and Minshew then he is not the right guy for the job.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I don’t think it’s a controversy. The Lions need a better back up and I think Minshew offers that. I’m not looking at it as a solution if Goff struggles. I expect Goff would have to work through that. However in case of injury it would be nice to think the Lions had a chance. If, I saw it as causing controversy I would share your concern.

The only people talking up QB of the future is the fans. I see no indication the Lions are looking to replace Goff. Once Campbell straightened out his play calling Goff played really well. Certainly well enough that QB isn’t a pressing issue.

Ive been trying to figure out what an extension for Goff might look like. I don’t believe he’s worth the $$$$ he currently receives so if the Lions brain trust determines he’s their guy how much would it take to sign him?

Edited by diehardlionfan
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I know you're not that concerned with this as you have stated, but for the sake of argument...If Campbell loses the team by creating a qb controversy with Goff and Minshew then he is not the right guy for the job.

The only way he would create a controversy is if Goff struggles.  Its Goff's job right now, if he plays like he did down the stretch then he is fine and doesnt have to worry.  If he plays like he started the season then there would be controversy, and rightly so.  Even then I am not sure it would be controversy as much as he would just lose his job.  Minshew isn't an unknown commodity that people want to see what he has.  If Goff can't hold of Minshew, he really doesnt deserve to run the team anyways.  I think he would be fine and we would have a better backup but at the same time, I would rather have a younger guy with more upside, even though their floor might be lower than Minshews.   

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The only way he would create a controversy is if Goff struggles.  Its Goff's job right now, if he plays like he did down the stretch then he is fine and doesnt have to worry.  If he plays like he started the season then there would be controversy, and rightly so.  Even then I am not sure it would be controversy as much as he would just lose his job.  Minshew isn't an unknown commodity that people want to see what he has.  If Goff can't hold of Minshew, he really doesnt deserve to run the team anyways.  I think he would be fine and we would have a better backup but at the same time, I would rather have a younger guy with more upside, even though their floor might be lower than Minshews.   

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I have no issue though bringing on a Minshew. I'd rather do thatvs selecting an intriguing prospect in the top 3 rounds of this draft.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I have no issue though bringing on a Minshew. I'd rather do thatvs selecting an intriguing prospect in the top 3 rounds of this draft.

Same but I am more top 2 rounds.  If Pickett, Willis, Strong, Zappe or Levis are there in the 3rd or later I am ok taking them.  But i dont want to spend a top 34 pick on any of them. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Same but I am more top 2 rounds.  If Pickett, Willis, Strong, Zappe or Levis are there in the 3rd or later I am ok taking them.  But i dont want to spend a top 34 pick on any of them. 

Will Levis returned to Kentucky. I'm not very high on Bailey Zappe.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Will Levis returned to Kentucky. I'm not very high on Bailey Zappe.

My bad on Levis.  I like Zappe.  I saw him live against MSU this year and he made some NFL throws that game.  I don't think he is a stud and shouldnt be drafted high but I think he will at worst be a solid backup and has the potential and tools to develop in an NFL system.