Is Blake playing his way into an extension?

pwny

10 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Manning is your “all in” option. I’d say the option for sustained success is probably to give Bortles a new contract but without much guaranteed money, draft a guy in the second or third round to groom into a decent backup or possibly replace Bortles if he plays poorly. 

How is Manning our "all in" option?

I would characterize that as a guy like Kirk Cousins. Manning is just a guy that has a long track record, SB experience, etc. I wouldn't say by getting Eli we all the sudden are a sure fire SB contender without a doubt. He's just a veteran that we can lean on and know what we'll get. A rookie can be up and down as I said before and maybe we just don't see it in Blake Bortles.

We've had Bortles for 4 yrs, either he's the guy when this season ends long-term or he isn't. We COULD keep him, but that's likely only if we dislike the draft options, can't sign a guy like Cousins, or if Bortles turns it on and we make a deep playoff run and we believe he could be the guy.

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Do you guys reckon you’ll keep Bortles? I kinda want Eli Manning in Denver, but I’d put us as second favourites given the Tom coughlin link, so obviously if you keep Bortles then that boosts our chances.

Incidentally if Bortles walks, I think he ends up in the desert. Bruce Arians LOVED him at the 2014 draft. 

It's honestly near impossible to accurately handicap the odds of keeping Blake at this point.  What he does down the stretch here, and (hopefully?) into the playoffs is going to be the biggest make/break factor to whether keeping Bortles is even remotely plausible or not.

It's also near impossible to figure whether Eli or the Jaguars front office would even be ultra keen on the marriage.  From Eli's end...it'd be a radically different market to land in, and a very different role he'd be asked to play here.  From the Jags end...it's not entirely clear how much Eli still has left in the tank, and for a team that finally has a real winning culture growing here, bringing in a guy with Eli's resume and the leadership role he just sorta inherently commands, could be a real risk.  You don't just slide a guy like Eli into the lineup and carry on as normal...you bring him in as the starting QB, and he becomes a key leader on your team (for better or worse).  There's a real risk of upsetting the apple cart there...which has to be weighed against what he can offer on the field (compared to other options) and obviously whether or not Eli himself is even interested in the idea.

3 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Manning is your “all in” option. I’d say the option for sustained success is probably to give Bortles a new contract but without much guaranteed money, draft a guy in the second or third round to groom into a decent backup or possibly replace Bortles if he plays poorly. 

I don't like this idea.  If Bortles is back but on a "throwaway" contract, and we're drafting a developmental guy to potentially replace him...it sounds like potentially the worst possible outcome.  Having a Bortles who hasn't shown enough to have any confidence at all in.  But without a firm replacement plan in place...basically planning to lean on a 2nd/3rd round developmental guy if Bortles continues to hold us back?  That sounds like a way to waste another year of this phenomenal defense on something stupid at QB.

Not to mention, Bortles appears to be very much a confidence QB.  Giving him the reins with a vote of non-confidence, complete with the drafting of a project to "push" him...just seems like a good way to stir up a stupid controversy that we absolutely don't need, at the most important position.