Is Blake playing his way into an extension?

pwny

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

giphy.gif

6-5 TD INT is Terrible.  hes also More injury prone. to me mariota might be just as bad as bortles cuz with mariota your gonna need a high end backup QB for When he gets hurt. 

heres a Summarization and Comparison between 2 QBS. 

QB A: 63.2% 7.44 Yards Per attempts 6TDs 5 INTS

QB B: 59.4% 7.08 Yards per attempt 10tds 5ints.   

QB B is considered to be an INT Machine and a crappy QB.  the only stat that has significant advantage for QB A is completion percentage.

se

3 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Bortles has proven exactly what he is these past 3 and a half years: an inconsistent mess.

To be fair, other Quarterbacks have proven this is what they are until a coaching/system/surrounding cast light bulb goes off for them. 

Two games is not, under any measure, enough to justify continuing on with him. My question is more of a question of whether the switch has been flipped on his career and the team has figured out how to make him into the player he was supposed to be. Is this same old Blake having himself some good games, or is this a delineation point in his career that allows him to change the way his career goes?

I don’t necessarily believe that this is the changing point for him. I do hope it is, as he’s one of the easiest humans on a football field to root for. But I think these topics are fun to speculate on, even if the point of speculation is one that’s a bit far fetched. 

If we make the playoffs with Bortles at the helm and continuing to look like he has the last couple games?  Maybe.  If we actually win a playoff game with him?  I'd say it's fairly likely we see him back under center.  Just hard to see them snubbing a playoff serviceable QB if he manages to be that.  Especially considering he's Caldwells QB pick guy.  That has to tip any questionable scales toward "keep him" i think.

But there's still a ton of football to be played.  What happens down the stretch and how long he can keep this up without regressing or actively costing us games, will determine if he's back or we move on.  Until he actually does that...have to lean toward no.  Even if the last couple games have been overall decent enough.

Just now, KhanYouDigIt said:

Blake has technically only thrown 4 INT’s. Two came in one game against the Titans. Ealy picked him off and a tipped ball against the Rams.

the INT by Shazier, he just took it from O’whatever his name when he was laying on a body.

Impressive season so far as far as far as that goes. If he keeps playing like this/we get to the playoffs I'm all about a short term deal if we can get it done. Maybe this staff is just making it "click" for him. He showed a lot of improvement once Olsen was fired last year, and even more the final games under Marrone.

Hasn't always been pretty this year, but he's not hurting us and has had a few games where he's carried us/played very well.

really not a fan of how much the Jags subreddit is sucking off Bortles and talking about the amazing season he's having as if he hasn't looked horrible for half of the year.

I'm as intrigued as anyone to see how he finishes out the year, and am obviously pleased to see him having more good games recently, but it's as thought they've just completely forgotten about the 4 games where he has looked like a high school QB.

5 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

really not a fan of how much the Jags subreddit is sucking off Bortles and talking about the amazing season he's having as if he hasn't looked horrible for half of the year.

I'm as intrigued as anyone to see how he finishes out the year, and am obviously pleased to see him having more good games recently, but it's as thought they've just completely forgotten about the 4 games where he has looked like a high school QB.

Yeah, Blake hasn't been as bad as last year and has done enough to not lose us games, but he hasn't won us any games outside of BAL/CIN, imo. He also played really well against IND a few weeks back.

He did all he needed to do in the other games we won tbh, and if we don't get gashed/Marqise Lee and Benn don't happen against NYJ, we win that game too.

Definitely need more of the last two games to think he's anything more than a guy we replace after this year, but if he plays like he has the past couple games I would say that it'd be interesting to think about trying to keep him around next year if we don't feel great about our chances at Smith (who would take a draft pick or two), Cousins, etc.

Keep him and draft a rookie if we can't get a vet imo. 

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, Blake hasn't been as bad as last year and has done enough to not lose us games, but he hasn't won us any games outside of BAL/CIN, imo. He also played really well against IND a few weeks back.

He did all he needed to do in the other games we won tbh, and if we don't get gashed/Marqise Lee and Benn don't happen against NYJ, we win that game too.

Definitely need more of the last two games to think he's anything more than a guy we replace after this year, but if he plays like he has the past couple games I would say that it'd be interesting to think about trying to keep him around next year if we don't feel great about our chances at Smith (who would take a draft pick or two), Cousins, etc.

Keep him and draft a rookie if we can't get a vet imo. 

What i think we really need to see if Bortles is going to solidify himself as a guy we aren't looking to replace...Is some games where he's asked to bring up back from behind, and actually does something not catastrophic.

He's had games this year where he's done a good job of keeping his foot on the throat once the defense and running game have completely caved an opponent in and broken their spirit.  When we really fall behind though, it's been a mess.  Which isn't going to be good enough for a team trying to go where this team wants to go.

Just now, Tugboat said:

What i think we really need to see if Bortles is going to solidify himself as a guy we aren't looking to replace...Is some games where he's asked to bring up back from behind, and actually does something not catastrophic.

He's had games this year where he's done a good job of keeping his foot on the throat once the defense and running game have completely caved an opponent in and broken their spirit.  When we really fall behind though, it's been a mess.  Which isn't going to be good enough for a team trying to go where this team wants to go.

The thing is though, I'm not sure how often getting way behind is going to happen with how we've built this team. The team is allowing like 14 PPG (11.42 if you take out that TEN game where our defense got gassed and the offense were flagged multiple times for holding on every drive).

I'm not sure Blake will ever be anything more than that game manager/keep teams in the game but the run game/defense runs the show. That's fine though with the setup we have. Obviously you prefer to have a franchise guy, but don't let Blake go and toss a rookie in there without knowing if they can manage the game/not make crucial mistakes that cost us games (which this year, Blake hasn't done).