Giants considering benching Eli Manning

everlong

20 hours ago, MemphisEagles said:

McAdoo and Reese are the two main problems, but that doesn't mean Eli isn't. Eli was only a capable QB with great weapons and defense surrounding him in his prime. He's not near the end of his career. Like if he goes to Jacksonville next year I don't think the Jags will have found a QB that can be good enough for that defense and run game to win a championship.

I agree with the bolded, disagree with the italicized. His 2011 season was fantastic from every way you look at it. We had the 32nd ranked rushing game and the defense relied heavily on JPP having a monster season, doing everything from stopping the run, gettibg sacks, and blocking field goals. That said, Eli is obviously past his prime now and for him to be successful now, he needs help. He isn't getting help from nearly anywhere now - OL isnt great, especially with the injuries, receiving corp has been decimated with injuries, and the offensive scheme is predictable. Eli isn't a Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers or Carson Wentz where he can just make things happen, at least not anymore. 

Eli isn't going anywhere unless he wants to, but if he went to Jacksonville, I think that would make them instantly more formidable. 

Honestly I'd see what the team can do with better coaches and a healthy team. I think you can still win games with Eli just being a game manager. Draft a QB early if you want but I wouldn't take any replacement being better than an over-the-hill Eli for granted. Not in this league.

Archived