Bryant Young voted into Hall of Fame

Forge

Something else in regards to Young. This was written back in December by Clark Judge for Talk of Fame Network. Fascinating short little read. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/bryant-young-49ers-hall-of-fame

Pretty remarkable Kirk Reynolds able to get a group together on Zoom to talk about Bryant's candidacy for enshrinement. BTW, Bryant Young himself had no idea of this having taken place, but was notified later.

You see, this is Young’s 10th year of Hall-of-Fame eligibility, and while he’s a three-time semifinalist he’s been a finalist only once. That was 2020. But then voters forgot about him, with Young the only returning 2020 finalist who didn’t make the cut one year later.

That made no sense to me then, and it makes no sense to some of his opponents now. So six of them – all offensive linemen – volunteered to join a Zoom call with Hall-of-Fame voters Wednesday afternoon to offer insight into Young’s 14-year career and voice support for his Canton candidacy.

The lineup included Kevin Gogan (who played with and against Young), Adam Timmerman, Mark Schlereth, Jerry Fontenot, Robbie Tobeck and Hall-of-Famer Willie Roaf. All were contacted by former 49ers’ public-relations director Kirk Reynolds, and all, according to Reynolds, jumped at the chance to participate.

What made the call extraordinary is that, with the exception of Gogan, these weren’t former teammates. They were opponents. Support for Hall-of-Fame candidates frequently comes from teammates, coaches or GMs via e-mails, but Wednesday’s call marked a departure from conventional procedures. It was the first time opponents assembled for a video to support a Hall-of-Fame candidate some of them barely knew.

In this article I found what Timmerman had to say interesting:

“When people ask me who are the best guys I ever played against,” said Timmerman, “I would say the best defensive players were inside. I go: John Randle, Bryant Young, Warren Sapp; those three, and in that order, too. Bryant was John Randle without all the talking. He did his talking with his pads.”

Both Timmerman and Gogan say in the article that against the run there really wasn't anyone better. Gogan thought he was the best he had ever faced against. All six of these guys interviewed with maybe the except of Schlereth have enough of a sample size of going against not only Bryant Young (mostly on division rival squads), but in addition to going up against the other big DTs at the time in Sapp, Stubblefield, and Randle since they also played in the NFC. Anyways, it's a good short little read, which basically echoes the sentiment sometimes the accolades and awards just don't tell the entire story, which is the best that most fans can do for comparison's sake. 

• Like 1