Farve vs Elway vs Marino

Tightspiral7

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Marino was a turnover machine and largely considered an idiot, even by some of his coaches. Turnovers are part of the game. You can shoot me all the bulk stats you want….

That's simply false. Marino's INT% was below league average for pretty much his entire career. 

Marino scored a 16 on the wonderlic test, mind bogglingly low. Only a handful of successful starting QB’s have scored under 20. Lamar is one that comes to mind. And Jim Kelly. But overall, successful QB’s with a score under 20 is rare. 

I don't see how the wonderlic is relevant. It doesn't really test anything related to playing QB. I agree he probably wasn't that bright. 

Marino sucked at reading disguise defenses. 

OK, funny how he was so successful then. His efficiency numbers are great throughout his career, including as late as 1997. 

Give me Farve. If for nothing else I'm pretty much guaranteed to not see a back up QB start for my team for 17 straight years. I'll Take my chances on a ring or two over Marino because of that. 

John Elway might be the most overrated HOF QB in NFL history. 

Dan Marino in todays ticky tack, can't look at a WR/TE cross eyed NFL without a flag, RB's who catch, would absolutely obliterate passing records. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/13/2022 at 2:08 PM, Tightspiral7 said:

I certainly trust Farve last if the game's on the line.

Elway played in 5 superbowls.  3 TDs, 8 Interceptions, 59.3 rating, 50.0% completion.

Elway beat Favre head to head in the superbowl

Elway: 123 yards, zero touchdowns, one interception and a 51.9 quarterback rating

Favre: 256 yards, three touchdowns, one interception and a 91.0 quarterback rating

...Because he had a Superbowl MVP, 2,000 yard back who scored 3 TDs.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2022 at 2:04 AM, Nabbs4u said:

John Elway might be the most overrated HOF QB in NFL history

That (dis)honor belongs to Joe Montana, who wasn't even as good as the three guys in question in the thread here. 

Elway

Favre

Marino

But, really, they're all three very close in greatness. And each had a trait at which he was better than the other two. It's a tough call. 

On 2/13/2022 at 11:25 PM, BayRaider said:

This isn’t much of a debate, Favre was the better QB of these three. Heck, Steve Young is better than Marino and  Elway. Favre > Young > Elway > Marino. 

I wonder how Marino would have done if he had played under the rules QBs have today...

On 2/14/2022 at 12:00 AM, AngusMcFife said:

I don't see how the wonderlic is relevant. It doesn't really test anything related to playing QB. I agree he probably wasn't that bright. 

Especially when one of the other 2 QBs you're comparing him to is noted thinker Brett Favre.