TE…Jesper Horsted

WR…Marquise Goodwin

WR…Jakeem Grant

DT…Bilal Nichols

ILB…Alec Ogletree

S…Deon Bush

S…DeAndre Houston-Carson

LS…Patrick Scales

Williams offers a solid vet presence in the RB room as a versatile #3…Holtz sticks on the roster as an H-Back but I would like to see him have competition throughout camp and the season for that role…Horsted will stay as a #3 TE and ST player…Goodwin still have the speed to take the top off a defence and under Getsy we will throw the ball deeper so that will be needed…Grant sticks on the roster as a returns and gadget guy…Nichols fits a 4-3 D as an UT far better than he ever did the 3-4…he could really develop in this scheme and shouldn’t break the bank to resign…Ogletree isn’t a perfect fit for this D but should be brought back and allowed to compete given how well he played last year…Bush could be better in this scheme which will give him more simple looks where he can just use his range and hitting ability…DRC played well last season so they continue as the backup safeties…Scales has been rock solid for years so no need to change that.

Release…

WR…Allen Robinson

WR…Damiere Byrd

OT…Jason Peters

OT…Elijah Wilkinson

OT…Lachavious Simmons

OG…James Daniels

OG…Alex Bars

C…Sam Mustipher

DL…Akiem Hicks

ILB…Christian Jones

ILB…Joel Iyiegbuniwe

CB…Artie Burns

CB…Xavier Crawford

CB…Marqui Christian

S…Tashaun Gipson

P…Pat O'Donnell

Robinson could be back in the running to stay under Poles & Flus but I am not sure he won’t want a fresh start…he would also need to reduce how much he is wanting from last offseason significantly so I think he moves on…Byrd doesn’t really fit this new scheme…Peters did great for us last year but time to move on as I highly doubt he is as healthy next year as he was this…Wilkinson isn’t a great fit for this scheme…Daniels is a good fit for the scheme but the amount of money he will command on the open market doesn’t match his level of play over the last 4 years…without being able to cut Whitehair to bring in the money to pay for him we move on…Simmons & Bars are both better in power schemes and replacement level guys at best…the more I go back and watch Mustipher the more I don’t even want to resign him as a backup centre…Hicks is a beast but just can’t stay healthy and again probably wants a fresh start…Jones & Iggy aren’t good enough for what we need at LB under Flus…Burns was okay towards the end of last season but I think we go with the upside of Vildor & Graham and hope all these new DB coaches can improve things…Crawford & Christian shouldn’t have been on the roster this year let alone next…Gipson is solid but I think we need to get more athletic as SS in this scheme…O’Donnell is making too much money at this point for what he offers…give me a UDFA who could do the same for less.

Retired…

TE…Jimmy Graham

Graham is clearly done with football and barely plays a snap for us this yet let along the idea of him playing for another full season…this hits us for $4.66 million against the dead cap.

Cuts…

Post June 1st Cuts…

NT…Eddie Goldman – Saves us $8.86 million with $2.95 million going to dead money.

OG…Danny Trevathan – Saves us $3.28 million with $2.43 million going to dead money.

Goldman’s heart doesn’t seem to be in football anymore and with the scheme we are moving to he is a terrible fit…with the HITS principle here Goldman even at his best wouldn’t be worth the money he is due…Trevathan’s boy has completely broken down at this point and we can’t have him taking up a roster spot…only way to avoid a huge dead cap hit is to cut him with the June 1st cut designation.

Regular Cuts…

QB…Andy Dalton…Saves us nothing with $5 million going to dead money.

RB…Tarik Cohen…Saves us $2.25 million with $3.5 million going to dead money.

OLB…Jeremiah Attaochu…Saves us $1.9 million with $1.2 million going to dead money.

The cuts above are typical for any new GM to have to make in order to try and clear his roster of some of the deadwood and bad contracts given out by the previous guy…this short-term pain would leave us in a far better spot come next offseason but we have to get rid of these 4 guys who offer us nothing at this point…

Total Cap Saving is $16.29 million with $19.74 going to the dead cap.

Edited by Madmike90

Free Agency…

USATSI_15053652.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1WR…Christian Kirk…5-11” 203lbs…Cardinals…

Our WR core is going to need a serious rebuild this upcoming season with only Darnell Mooney remaining as a starting calibre WR on this roster…Goodwin & Grant will be depth but hopefully not see the field too much…Mooney really started to come on last year and will continue to be a factor but we need some players who can replicate some of the things Getsy will implement from GB…Kirk is an explosive WR who can turn a short pass into a big gain in a hurry but not only that he can also be a safety blanket for a young QB playing out of the slot…Kirk can be our version of Randall Cobb which is a key spot in this offence…Kirk may see coming here as a chance to show he can reach his full potential with a QB like Fields given how badly things now seem to being going in AZ with Murray and co.

1174198075.jpegWR…Byron Pringle…6-1” 203lbs…Chiefs…

More WR help for a rebuilding position room…I expect Poles to rely on his knowledge of the Chiefs roster to come away with either Pringle or Demarcus Robinson…here I have gone with Pringle as he would provide a little bit more down field explosiveness which is something we will clearly be looking for in this more vertical based scheme…I suspect Pringle will get a solid pay day but nothing huge as there are plenty of similar receivers who would could target as depth.

johnsonmarcus-runningaway.jpgWR…Marcus Johnson…6-1” 198lbs…Titans…

And yet more WR help…like I said we need to rebuild this room and with limited draft picks it will be important to find trait guys who might be overlooked on their current team but could play a role here…Johnson is an excellent H/W/S guy who could be a backup deep threat behind Mooney…he also offers experience and competition for kick returning duties.

1025351492.jpg.0.jpg

OT…Joseph Notebloom…6-5” 320lbs…Rams…

The WRs above might not be the biggest names but I honestly believe that if we can keep Fields upright we don’t need the biggest name FA receivers…he is that talented…so we have to go out and find a way of making this OL as good as possible…moving Jenkins back to RT is probably the best move for his development…moving Borom inside to RG is also probably the best move for him in this ZBS so now we need a true LT…Notenbloom has plenty of experience within this blocking scheme having spent his entire career with the Rams…his athletic ability would allow us to run a lot of outside zone and give us an upgrade in pass pro on the left side.

maxresdefault.jpg

C…Kyle Fuller…6-5” 308lbs…Seahawks…

After letting Daniels & Mustipher walk we need to add more depth to the OL and against I suspect we will go with bigger more physical linemen…Fuller isn’t a star by any means but he has good experience and would be a true back up at centre who could also play some guard if needed.

15753013_web1_FBN-RAIDERS-OCT25-20-027.j

UT…Quinton Jefferson…6-4” 290lbs…Raiders…

In Flus’ 4-3 scheme the “front 4” is key…especially given the fact that in reality this needs to be at least a “front 7 or 8”…our rotation on the DL should be as high as possible to keep guys fresh and able to rush the passer on every down to allow us to play shell defence behind it…Nichols would be the starter at UT if resigned however Jefferson showed in LV last season that he can get after the QB with 4.5 sacks and 16 QB hits…Travis Smith would hopefully be the in we would need to bring him here on a lower rate contract.

1192999818.jpeg

DE…Al-Quadin Muhammad…6-4” 255lbs…Colts…

As I said before pass rushers are key in this scheme and we have to not only have Quinn & Mack up front but also be able to provide depth behind them…we also need to start looking towards the future and see if we can land on a solid pass rusher for when we can’t afford to have two high paid DEs on the wrong side of 30…Muhammad played really well in Indy last season with 6 sacks & 13 QB hits…both he and Gipson would be key in the rotation.

usatsi_13398223.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

MLB…Anthony Walker Jr…6-0” 238lbs…Browns…

Rebuilding the LB core will be important in this D which relies on speed on the 2nd level of the defence…Roquan will move to the WLB and as good as Ogletree was last season he shouldn’t just be handed the starting spot in this D…Walker Jr went to the Browns last offseason in a relatively cheap deal but considering his history in this scheme we should make a push to bring him in…Walker Jr averaged well over 100 tackles in his 3 starting seasons in Indy so would bring not only production but also an understanding of what Flus and co are looking for.

usatsi_15021863.jpg

OLB…Zaire Franklin…6-0” 235lbs…Colts…

Back to the well again in bringing in Colts players who have the knowledge and skill set to excel in this scheme…Franklin plays SLB and when we need one would do the same here but his main role here would be as a backup incase any of our starting LBs go down…Franklin is very fact and physical on the defensive side of the ball…he is also an excellent special teamer.

ee1b25fc1bc842248804c25681589512.jpg?w=1

NB…D.J Reed…5-9” 188lbs…Seahawks…

Nickleback is one of the 3 spots that really makes this defence go…we have Smith at WILL…this season we go with two rotational UTs and hope the upgrade on outside pass rusher will be enough but we have nothing at all when it comes to NB…we need a quality player at that spot and Reed fits the bills…having played on the outside in Seattle he would come here and use his skill set to play a much better fit of inside at nickleback…Andre Curtis being here could be a big part of brining him in…IMO when it comes to defence he should be our #1 target this offseason.

M_J_Stewart_(50395075213)_(cropped).jpg

S…M.J Stewart…6-0” 205lbs…Browns…

SS is a position that while Flus didn’t say was key alongside UT, WLB & NB has always been a high valued one in this defence because you need more range than average at that spot…Gipson isn’t a great fit at this stage of his career for that role so we look outside for a cheap yet high potential SS…Stewart was a high round pick in Tampa before ending up with the Browns last season…his range and tackling ability make him a quality fit in this scheme…his game against GB this year was excellent.

Edited by Madmike90

Draft…

Ryan Poles has made it pretty clear he wants to create as many draft picks as possible and given where we are picking we are in a prime spot to trade back for teams looking for talent who have fallen out of the 1st round…

Bears Trade pick #39 to Steelers for picks #52 & #84…The Steelers move up to draft one of the falling QBs…

Bears Trade pick #52 to Falcons for picks #58 & #105…The Falcons move up to take an offensive playmaker…maybe a RB who fits Arthur Smith’s scheme…

Pick #58…  

1175343074.0.jpg

OG…Sean Rhyan…6-5” 320lbs…UCLA…

Ryan Poles has been very clear that he will build this offensive line and use it as the foundation of the offence…after brining in Kirk, Pringle & Johnson in free agency and with Mooney having looked better and better as the season went on last year I suspect we take the top linemen on our board to give Fields the time to throw the ball…I think if you look at where Getsy comes from most of their starting OL are around the 6-5” 310lbs mark and they all college OT experience…given that and the massive OL Poles was a huge part of in building in KC you have to suspect we are going to become bigger, more physical and much more athletic up front…Rhyan lines up at LT for UCLA but lacks length to stick on the outside so moves inside to LG where he can use his pass pro skills more effectively…where he really excels though is in the run game where he uses a combination of athleticism, physicality, toughness and aggression to drive people out his gap…he shows the ability to get to the 2nd level which is key in this scheme…with Whitehair moving to centre…Rhyan playing LG and Borom playing RG we now have a significantly bigger and better interior 3 who can give Fields significantly more time to throw the ball and a more athletic interior in this new ZBS when we are running the ball.  

Pick #71…

maxresdefault.jpg

WR…Jalen Tolbert…6-1” 195lbs…South Alabama…

With us being able to add additional draft picks by trading down we can now go after a WR…IMO if we can keep Fields upright he can throw to the likes of Mooney, Kirk, Pringle & Johnson with great success but we know this is an offence driven league and if you can add playmakers then you have to do it…Getsy will be looking for a WR who can develop into a star on the outside…Tolbert has a lot of really good traits to work with such as his ball skills and ability to make spectacular catches look simple…he might only be 195lbs but he is strong and as much as he wasn’t asked to run many routes over the middle of the field at South Alabama I think he could be excellent with slants or in cutting routes in the pro…no doubt in my mind there is a little Stefon Diggs in his game.

Pick #84… 

268817_20191012_FB_MissSt_016.jpg

CB…Alontae Taylor…6-0” 195lbs…Tennessee…

We have added a lot of lower value contracts on the defensive side of the ball but the one position we have not targeted here is outside CB…the reason for this is because good outside CBs in the NFL usually cost a fortune in FA and you can never be sure they are going to be a success in your scheme…Poles has said the draft will always be our first and foremost so I suspect we target a CB in the 3rd round…Taylor is pretty similar in a lot of ways to Jaylon Johnson with prototype size and length to go with good athletic ability…Taylor attacks the ball while tackling and fits the mindset we are looking for at CB…adding him on the other side of Taylor would give us a pair of young CBs who could lock down those positions for years to come.

Pick #104…

bae57d6e-7e91-41c3-82a1-80c81a907fc0-Jon

OT…Braxton Jones…6-5” 305lbs…Southern Utah…

Back to the OL with our pick in the 4th round…the starting OL of Noteboom, Rhyan, Whitehair, Borom & Jenkins might already be set but we massively lack in depth incase of injury and have no real development prospects to avoid having to hit FA every year which again is something Poles has made clear he does not want to do…if your going to draft a OL to develop I am a big believer in picking prototype traits especially if they are coming from smaller schools who maybe can’t offer the best coaching, nutritional or strength programme…Jones is 6-5” 305lbs with 36” arms & 10”+ hands…add that to plus athletic ability and plenty of LT experience and he seems exactly the type of player you want to give to an OL coach in this zone scheme and get him to develop him over the next few season…add in that Noteboom has had some injury concerns in the past and it just makes sense to back up and develop at that key spot.

Pick #146…

10202021_Brendan-Radley-Hiles-AP_174453.

CB…Brendan Radley-Hiles…5-9” 185lbs…Washington…

Flus’ defence needs high production at the UT, WLB and Nickelback position…signing Reed in FA will give us a quality starter but again we need depth at these key positions and no one currently on this roster has the right skill set…Radley-Hiles would come in and replace Duke Shelley as the development NB at that spot with the hope he can step up and start when and if needs…Bookie as he is known brings classic NB traits with quick feet, ability and ball skills but he also brings a real toughness and hitting ability to the position that isn’t often seen.

Pick #148…

EFqa3ZRXkAAxsWq?format=jpg&name=large

OG…Marquis Hayes…6-5” 318lbs…Oklahoma…

Surprise surprise more OL depth and development upside…after drafting Jones as a potential starter down the line at LT we come back to find a development guard who if Rhyan or Borom turn out to be better at OT can then play on the inside…much like Jones, Hayes is a traits guy with prototype size and excellent length with 35 ½” arms…he has been a starter for Oklahoma at LG and showed he can block on the move being asked to pull a lot…that athletic upside makes him a nice fit in this scheme and gives us depth at the position.

Pick #185… 

HoustonWS.png

OLB…James Houston…6-0” 225lbs…Jackson State…

LBs in this scheme need to be able to run and hit and that is exactly what Houston offers…he played LB early in his career at Florida but when he moved to Jackson State they put him on the line as a rusher and he exploded with 70 tackles including 24.5 TFL and 16.5 Sacks as well as 7 FFs…Poles spoke about wanting fast and violent dudes…that’s exactly what he is…he could develop into a starting SLB or depth WILL with time.

UDFA

6185dba4f228c.image.jpg?crop=1428,1428,1

P…Ryan Wright…6-3” 245lbs…Tulane…

O’Donnell is costing more and more and finding a rookie P would save a bit of money…I also think Wright could be a really good punter for a long time based off his stats…c’mon who is watching punters? hahaha.

Edited by Madmike90

Depth Chart…

QB…Justin Fields…Nick Foles

RB…David Montgomery…Khalil Herbert…Damien Williams…J.P Holtz

WR…Jalen Tolbert…Byron Pringle

WR…Darnell Mooney…Marcus Johnson

WR…Christian Kirk…Marquise Goodwin…Jakeem Grant

TE…Cole Kmet…Jesse James…Jasper Horsted

LT…Joe Noteboom…Braxton Jones

LG…Sean Rhyan

C…Cody Whitehair…Kyle Fuller

RG…Larry Borom…Marquis Hayes

RT…Teven Jenkins…Germain Ifedi

LE…Khalil Mack…Trevis Gipson

UT…Bilal Nichols…Quinton Jefferson…Mario Edwards  

NT…Angelo Blackson…Khyiris Tonga                   

RE…Robert Quinn…Al-Quadin Muhammad

WLB…Roquan Smith…Zaire Franklin…James Houston

MLB…Anthony Walker Jr…Alec Ogletree…Caleb Johnson

NB…D.J Reed…Brendan Radley-Hiles

CB…Alontea Taylor…Kindle Vildor

CB…Jaylon Jackson…Thomas Graham Jr

SS…M.J Stewart…Deon Bush                    

FS…Eddie Jackson…Deandre Houston-Carson                   

P…Ryan Wright

K…Cario Santos

LS…Patrick Scales

Edited by Madmike90

Muhammad makes so much sense. Decent pass rusher and still young

I think the draft and FA might be too much OL and WR. I know those are premier positions but it just seems to be a lot. However I do like Tolbert, B. Jones and Hayes a ton (btw Hayes isn't getting past round 3 imo).

Thanks for putting in the work on these!

PS: who else forgets Attaouchu was on the Bears in 2021?

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

You don’t have to cut Dalton, his contract expired.

As for the OL - I don’t view Borom as a G. He didn’t play with much physicality last season and wasn’t great as a run blocker. I think you’d be better off moving Jenkins to G and keeping Borom outside where his pass pro is an asset.

I feel Borom can play either spot...I never had any issue with his physicality last season and if there was one then that is negated playing in this scheme.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Muhammad makes so much sense. Decent pass rusher and still young

I think the draft and FA might be too much OL and WR. I know those are premier positions but it just seems to be a lot. However I do like Tolbert, B. Jones and Hayes a ton (btw Hayes isn't getting past round 3 imo).

Thanks for putting in the work on these!

PS: who else forgets Attaouchu was on the Bears in 2021?

I'm not sure we can go too heavy on either this offseason...the OL needs a real talent upgrade...at WR the cupboard is bare...

And yeah I am not sure I remember Attaouchu making a single impact play haha.

Nice work, Madmike! 🙂

My two cents;

I'd rather get more guards, instead of moving any of the tackles over. I'd prioritize center in FA, or the draft (rather than moving Whitehair)--although that's a close call as Whitehair did fine at center before. Foles should go, bring back Dalton, do whatever, but Foles should go. And if you cut Tashaun Gipson, there isn't a starting caliber safety on the roster, and that makes me nervous...

10 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Nice work, Madmike! 🙂

My two cents;

I'd rather get more guards, instead of moving any of the tackles over. I'd prioritize center in FA, or the draft (rather than moving Whitehair)--although that's a close call as Whitehair did fine at center before. Foles should go, bring back Dalton, do whatever, but Foles should go. And if you cut Tashaun Gipson, there isn't a starting caliber safety on the roster, and that makes me nervous...

I just don't think if you look at the teams who are successfully running ZBS in the NFL right now you can have two true guards...just not enough athletes out there...I think GB are even more of a team who have always converted college OTs to OGs and I expect Getsy to want to do the same as he knows it gives you better pass pro skills...cutting Foles hammers the dead money when it comes to the cap which is the only reason he stays until that contract is up...Gipson isn't a natural fit in this scheme...getting a more athletic guy like Stewart works next to Jackson who will actually be allowed to do what he does best in this scheme.

I like this a lot.

OTs converting to OG is a major plus IMO. You can see how LAR was able to use movement last night and the IOL couldn't get to stunts in large part due to a lack of athleticism. When you are going against elite 3Ts the last thing you want are guys who are heavy footed and who aren't athletic enough to get a good punch and anchor or slide. Defenses are using stunts now more than ever to get the OT wide and then attacking the C gap, so you need an OG with plus movement ability. They don't need to be quite as athletic as an OT but need to still be able to slide well and play in space.

The TE group does little to impress but there are only so many resources available and several things that take priority in the scheme adjustments and with there being a lot of 11 personnel being played we need to really focus there.

I think Tonga would be the better starter and Blackson would sub in for him.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I like this a lot.

OTs converting to OG is a major plus IMO. You can see how LAR was able to use movement last night and the IOL couldn't get to stunts in large part due to a lack of athleticism. When you are going against elite 3Ts the last thing you want are guys who are heavy footed and who aren't athletic enough to get a good punch and anchor or slide. Defenses are using stunts now more than ever to get the OT wide and then attacking the C gap, so you need an OG with plus movement ability. They don't need to be quite as athletic as an OT but need to still be able to slide well and play in space.

The TE group does little to impress but there are only so many resources available and several things that take priority in the scheme adjustments and with there being a lot of 11 personnel being played we need to really focus there.

I think Tonga would be the better starter and Blackson would sub in for him.

Yeah TE depth is without doubt an area I cut corners on this mock because as you said there are a lack of resources and I expect to see way more 11 personnel than anything else in Getsy's scheme...

I don't think Tonga is a starter in this scheme because he just isn't a great pass rusher...in this scheme he would play on early downs against run heavy teams but Blackson offers more pass rush and that is key in this system. 

• Like 1