Superbowl Mock 22

Madmike90

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah TE depth is without doubt an area I cut corners on this mock because as you said there are a lack of resources and I expect to see way more 11 personnel than anything else in Getsy's scheme...

I don't think Tonga is a starter in this scheme because he just isn't a great pass rusher...in this scheme he would play on early downs against run heavy teams but Blackson offers more pass rush and that is key in this system. 

I can see that logic for sure. I am just using Tonga like Anthony Adams was here. He was a nonfactor as a passrusher but Rod and Lovie used his as the base starter and then plugged in their NASCAR group when in 3rd and long. Tonga helps stop the run in 1st and maybe 2nd down, then hopefully we are in 3rd and 5+ rather than 3rd and 3. Idk if Eberflus does that or just wants speed and effort. 

Maybe Blackson is better against the run than I give him credit for though. I haven't looked at his numbers or anything. 

It is interesting if you consider the perspective of Eberflus and Poles on the team.

They didn't follow practices and training camp and last 3 years of same for these guys.  How they see the team is different than how we see it because we have history here.

They have access to that stuff, but not the time to watch it all.   They still have to scout college and NFL players to bring in as well.   That and so many more things to do.   

Your main stuff for them as a player to evaluate you is what you put on tape last year and pre-season.

Who knows if they will even watch 100% of all of that.  There is just so much to do.  

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I can see that logic for sure. I am just using Tonga like Anthony Adams was here. He was a nonfactor as a passrusher but Rod and Lovie used his as the base starter and then plugged in their NASCAR group when in 3rd and long. Tonga helps stop the run in 1st and maybe 2nd down, then hopefully we are in 3rd and 5+ rather than 3rd and 3. Idk if Eberflus does that or just wants speed and effort. 

Maybe Blackson is better against the run than I give him credit for though. I haven't looked at his numbers or anything. 

I was thinking more Tank Johnson inside than Anthony Adams...for me that is when this D was at it's best...I feel every DT on this roster will need to have the old Indy mindset that their line had when they had McFarlane, Brock, Freeney & Mathis upfront..."play the run on the way to the QB"

• Like 2

I havent done enough Draft prep yet, so not much to say on the individual prospects, but I like the plan youve put in place there. Attacking good talent, that also aligns with some needs. I would say, with it being year one of a new GM, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take some chances on talent, even at positions that seem like we have guys there already. Were not in a position to be massively reaching for a need over talent with this roster

As for the the earlier roster construction, I think you may be alittle heavy on the WR spot. If youre keeping Goodwin and Grant, thats already the back end of your room. And it seems like overkill to be pulling in 3 Free Agents as well. Especially assuming we draft atleast one, and will probably bring in a bunch of UFDAs

Youre definitely overselling Noteboom here, to say he was disappointing for the Rams is being kind. Theres a reason their LT is retiring, they are cash/pick strapped, and will likely be looking elsewhere for a LT replacement. Not that he wont be a target, but hes likely a career swing tackle

The Lineman and LBs from the Raiders and Colts make sense, I just ont know if we will end up with all of them. A few of those guys might actually have a chance to cash in a bit, and the Colts might want to keep some of their guys too. 

I agree that a Stud Nickle would ease the pressure of the rest of the D. I hope its still a place of value in free agency, but Mike Hilton may have popped that bubble last year. But we do need  to get someone there, but wouldnt be shocked if that comes from value we find in the draft.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I was thinking more Tank Johnson inside than Anthony Adams...for me that is when this D was at it's best...I feel every DT on this roster will need to have the old Indy mindset that their line had when they had McFarlane, Brock, Freeney & Mathis upfront..."play the run on the way to the QB"

That was a Tampa 2 defense though, right? Do Eberflus run that sort of system? I honestly don't know. 

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

That was a Tampa 2 defense though, right? Do Eberflus run that sort of system? I honestly don't know. 

His base will be the Cover 2 but he is more versatile than Lovie's D was...you will see some Cover 3 & Quarters in there too...the Colts also played more man coverage than in the past 3 seasons under Flus last year than they had before but the principle of this D doesn't really change...rush 4 drop 7 as much as possible.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I havent done enough Draft prep yet, so not much to say on the individual prospects, but I like the plan youve put in place there. Attacking good talent, that also aligns with some needs. I would say, with it being year one of a new GM, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take some chances on talent, even at positions that seem like we have guys there already. Were not in a position to be massively reaching for a need over talent with this roster

As for the the earlier roster construction, I think you may be alittle heavy on the WR spot. If youre keeping Goodwin and Grant, thats already the back end of your room. And it seems like overkill to be pulling in 3 Free Agents as well. Especially assuming we draft atleast one, and will probably bring in a bunch of UFDAs

Youre definitely overselling Noteboom here, to say he was disappointing for the Rams is being kind. Theres a reason their LT is retiring, they are cash/pick strapped, and will likely be looking elsewhere for a LT replacement. Not that he wont be a target, but hes likely a career swing tackle

The Lineman and LBs from the Raiders and Colts make sense, I just ont know if we will end up with all of them. A few of those guys might actually have a chance to cash in a bit, and the Colts might want to keep some of their guys too. 

I agree that a Stud Nickle would ease the pressure of the rest of the D. I hope its still a place of value in free agency, but Mike Hilton may have popped that bubble last year. But we do need  to get someone there, but wouldnt be shocked if that comes from value we find in the draft.

I kept seven receivers over a 4th TE for a couple of reasons...1. In a pinch Holtz can be a 4th TE...2. We are going to see a ton of 11 personnel so we will have at least 5 in that rotation as standard and Grant in a proper skill is still more of a returner than anything else...

I can only go off what I have seen of Noteboom...when he came in against Seattle he was solid...when he played Tampa on the playoffs he was excellent...I would take the risk on the upside as much as the sample size is small...if he can't start then Jenkins continues at LT with Borom at RT and one of the depth interior guys like Hayes stepping up...

I think the Colts might want some guys back but when you consider their entire defensive coaching staff is now here and even the DL coach we didn't bring over is gone I expect these guys to want to come here...

For Flus regardless of what the rest of the NFL think of the nickle spot will still be key...I hope with Curtis here we can get Reed because I really think he would be perfect for this scheme.

34 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I kept seven receivers over a 4th TE for a couple of reasons...1. In a pinch Holtz can be a 4th TE...2. We are going to see a ton of 11 personnel so we will have at least 5 in that rotation as standard and Grant in a proper skill is still more of a returner than anything else...

I can only go off what I have seen of Noteboom...when he came in against Seattle he was solid...when he played Tampa on the playoffs he was excellent...I would take the risk on the upside as much as the sample size is small...if he can't start then Jenkins continues at LT with Borom at RT and one of the depth interior guys like Hayes stepping up...

I think the Colts might want some guys back but when you consider their entire defensive coaching staff is now here and even the DL coach we didn't bring over is gone I expect these guys to want to come here...

For Flus regardless of what the rest of the NFL think of the nickle spot will still be key...I hope with Curtis here we can get Reed because I really think he would be perfect for this scheme.

Here's the thing.  Holtz sucks.

He won't be back.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think Holtz is any better or any worse than most 53rd man on an NFL roster...most importantly he is versatile and plays on teams.

He is just a guy on specials.   They will replace him.

It's almost worse for you to stick if you play more because than people know what they have in you.   They are always hoping the guys lower on roster can be players given opportunity.

He has had opportunity and hasn't made plays.   

Horstead still has that mystery about him.  He has made plays with his limited opportunities.   He will likely stick, unless he has a crappy camp.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

He is just a guy on specials.   They will replace him.

It's almost worse for you to stick if you play more because than people know what they have in you.   They are always hoping the guys lower on roster can be players given opportunity.

He has had opportunity and hasn't made plays.   

Horstead still has that mystery about him.  He has made plays with his limited opportunities.   He will likely stick, unless he has a crappy camp.

I would say Holtz has had less opportunity than Horsted has...again this is a bottom 5 player on the roster...as I said I would like to see competition brought in for his spot but if he makes the roster I don't see it as a make or break move.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would say Holtz has had less opportunity than Horsted has...again this is a bottom 5 player on the roster...as I said I would like to see competition brought in for his spot but if he makes the roster I don't see it as a make or break move.

Except he has gotten 5x the snap count on offense compared to Horsted, so he has had a lot more chances to show something.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

His base will be the Cover 2 but he is more versatile than Lovie's D was...you will see some Cover 3 & Quarters in there too...the Colts also played more man coverage than in the past 3 seasons under Flus last year than they had before but the principle of this D doesn't really change...rush 4 drop 7 as much as possible.

They'd better hope they get a lead early in games like the old Indy teams did... Mack and Quinn pinning their ears back? 🤤🤤🤤

6 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Except he has gotten 5x the snap count on offense compared to Horsted, so he has had a lot more chances to show something.

Just because you are on the field does not mean you have been given a chance...the percentage of targets to snaps is way higher for Horsted than Holtz.

• Like 1