Amazon’s LOTR Rings of Power

Xenos

Visually, it looks good.

And, well....thats about it.

Watching this, it distinctly reminds me of how Disney has handled Star Wars.   If you enjoy that, I imagine this is your cup of tea as well.   If you think Disney has taken a hot steaming dump all over Star Wars...probably getting some familiar vibes right about now.

7 hours ago, 43M said:

Visually, it looks good.

Watching this, it distinctly reminds me of how Disney has handled Star Wars.   If you enjoy that, I imagine this is your cup of tea as well.   If you think Disney has taken a hot steaming dump all over Star Wars...probably getting some familiar vibes right about now.

Unlike Disney and Star Wars, they actually have all 5 seasons planned out. So that’s a plus at least. The teaser did it’s job of teasing the overall story in that way I guess.

Edited by Xenos

9 hours ago, 43M said:

Visually, it looks good.

What are you basing this on? 

Also, Star Wars is relevant once again. Some hits, some missed but relevant once again.

6 hours ago, Xenos said:

Unlike Disney and Star Wars, they actually have all 5 seasons planned out. So that’s a plus at least. The teaser did it’s job of teasing the overall story in that way I guess.

I guess thats something, but a bad plan isnt much better than no plan.   No matter how much planning you do, if you have an unstable foundation, it wont hold up well.    They apparently had a Battlefield Earth and Waterworld trilogy planned out years ago, too.   ;)

Again, Im sure many people will enjoy it for what it is....but to me, it just looks like another hugely popular franchise being hijacked by people who dont know, care and/or understand the source material, and merely using its name to as a vehicle to get more attention than it would otherwise get, as opposed to making something original.

Look at the new Resident Evil show on Netflix.   Now, this doesnt look QUITE as bad as that does, but its the same mindset in regards to hijacking the name and franchise as a wholel to push something that doesn't come close to what Resident Evil actually is.

26 minutes ago, 43M said:

I guess thats something, but a bad plan isnt much better than no plan.   No matter how much planning you do, if you have an unstable foundation, it wont hold up well.    They apparently had a Battlefield Earth and Waterworld trilogy planned out years ago, too.   ;)

Again, Im sure many people will enjoy it for what it is....but to me, it just looks like another hugely popular franchise being hijacked by people who dont know, care and/or understand the source material, and merely using its name to as a vehicle to get more attention than it would otherwise get, as opposed to making something original.

Look at the new Resident Evil show on Netflix.   Now, this doesnt look QUITE as bad as that does, but its the same mindset in regards to hijacking the name and franchise as a wholel to push something that doesn't come close to what Resident Evil actually is.

Everything I’ve read suggests the showrunners know, care, and understand the source material quite well. The caveat as always, of course, is execution. For example, can they successfully show 2nd Age things like the rise and fall of Numeanor but in a way that’s organic and allow us to care about what happens? Will we care about characters like Elrond and Galadriel now that they’re center stage versus supporting characters in PJ’s movies with minimal screen time?

All this Star Wars talk has made me think. I guess the hope is that the LOTR series is closer to The Mandalorian and Clone Wars/Rebels versus the other stuff out there. I’ll also take Revenge of the Sith quality.

https://ew.com/tv/lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-production-design/

For Rings of Power production designer Ramsey Avery (known for his work on films like 10 Cloverfield Lane and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2), the toughest task was crafting a Middle-earth that felt both familiar and fresh. "It's all about how this world is vibrant and rich and golden," he tells EW, "as opposed to what we see in the movies, which is the Third Age, when everything is on its decline, and it's fading."

Because The Rings of Power follows dozens of characters across countless locations, Avery and his fellow department heads had to establish a unique visual style for each. The elves, for example, have a lifelong love of nature, so the architecture of Lindon is almost Gothic in style, filled with tall, tree-like columns and arboreal details. For Khazad-dûm, Avery wanted to depict the legendary mine as it was before the dwarves "got greedy" and the Balrog moved in. So, instead of using harsh lines and gargantuan statues, this early version is far less severe (but no less grand). "We thought, 'Well, let's go back to the true nature of the dwarves and how they are of stone and of flame,' " Avery says. "Their architecture, and even their clothing, is much more sensible. There's a sensitivity toward the stone, rather than forcing their will on the stone."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, August4th said:

amazing to see how far TV has gone in the past 10 yrs. shows are looking better than major films these days

Yeah, certain shows have done a good job of making their medium more cinematic. Outside of HBO, I also thought Severance on Apple TV+ also did a great job. I’m hoping the same for Rings as well.