Amazon’s LOTR Rings of Power

Xenos

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

Trailer made me so nervous. Please be good. The orcs looked like makeup and not CGI which would be an excellent step. 

Probably because they are real? Lol

Edited by Xenos

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Man, how much time does this series cover? It somehow seems to be set in like the second age, but it’s all over the place there.

They have already said they are squishing the timeline significantly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Man, how much time does this series cover? It somehow seems to be set in like the second age, but it’s all over the place there.

It’s the entire 2nd Age w/ 1st Age flashbacks. But yeah, the showrunners biggest change is compressing the timeline from thousands of years to maybe hundreds instead. I’m guessing on the hundred part but they want their non Elven characters to be alive for the duration of the show.

Edited by Xenos

59 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I hope the compression of the timeline doesnt take too much away from the show

It’s my biggest worry because it’s the most problematic. If they can pull it off for somehow, the show has potential to be great.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

I guess that to actually make a tv show with the limited information in The Silmarillian, you either have to condense the timeline, or create a lot of new material to beef it up.  Seems hard to imagine a version that didn't have one.

On 7/25/2022 at 6:20 PM, Daniel said:

I guess that to actually make a tv show with the limited information in The Silmarillian, you either have to condense the timeline, or create a lot of new material to beef it up.  Seems hard to imagine a version that didn't have one.

There’s a lot of key events in the 2nd Age that unfortunately are spread out by thousands of years. I think the showrunners thought about doing things in nonlinear order so as to preserve the original timeline length but I think they said it made it even more confusing.

On 7/30/2022 at 11:56 AM, Xenos said:

There’s a lot of key events in the 2nd Age that unfortunately are spread out by thousands of years. I think the showrunners thought about doing things in nonlinear order so as to preserve the original timeline length but I think they said it made it even more confusing.

Yup. The second age is effectively a history where we know a bunch of major bullet points of hugely consequential events that are seperated by 100's to 1000's of years. Largely because the main antaognist of the age is Sauron who is alive and scheming through most of it.

Sauron basically starts making moves in 500SA, set up show in Mordor around 1000SA, became Annatar to screw with Numenoreans in 1200SA, created the rings of power like 390 years later and then ten years later in 1600SA he created the One Ring in secret, beat the Elves in a big war 90 years later that gave him a lot of control over Middle Earth before being pushed back, by 2251 he had finally tranformed many of the King's of Men into the Nazgul, basically corrupted the last Numenorean King 1000 years later which caused the gods to drown Numenor and significantly weaken Sauron, then he returned 60 years later and went full tilt in attempting to a successor to Morgoth and was pretty clearly a tyrant, then about 100 years later he attacked Gondor which ultimately finally led to the last alliance and his ultimate defeat that made him dormant for most of the Third Age. 

So there's a key throughline of that era of a central conflict with Sauron but it takes place over such a long time. I kinda feel like for story purposes it has to be compressed because you are dealing with immortals where the world changes drastically and their plans are far too slow working that a lot of the world simply changes from one step to the next. 

You can pretty much break LOTR down by

First Age: Creation and the conflict with Morgoth

Second Age: Sauron's rise and attempts to take over Middle Earth up to when he is defeated in what most people know as the prologue to the trilogy. Also all the peak civillizations like men, Numenoreans, Dwarves are all thriving in this era. 

Third Age: a declining world where magic is leaving and men are about to becoming the dominant power while Sauron makes one last bid at a comeback while Middle Earth is in a vulnerable state.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

Yup. The second age is effectively a history where we know a bunch of major bullet points of hugely consequential events that are seperated by 100's to 1000's of years. Largely because the main antaognist of the age is Sauron who is alive and scheming through most of it.

Sauron basically starts making moves in 500SA, set up show in Mordor around 1000SA, became Annatar to screw with Numenoreans in 1200SA, created the rings of power like 390 years later and then ten years later in 1600SA he created the One Ring in secret, beat the Elves in a big war 90 years later that gave him a lot of control over Middle Earth before being pushed back, by 2251 he had finally tranformed many of the King's of Men into the Nazgul, basically corrupted the last Numenorean King 1000 years later which caused the gods to drown Numenor and significantly weaken Sauron, then he returned 60 years later and went full tilt in attempting to a successor to Morgoth and was pretty clearly a tyrant, then about 100 years later he attacked Gondor which ultimately finally led to the last alliance and his ultimate defeat that made him dormant for most of the Third Age. 

So there's a key throughline of that era of a central conflict with Sauron but it takes place over such a long time. I kinda feel like for story purposes it has to be compressed because you are dealing with immortals where the world changes drastically and their plans are far too slow working that a lot of the world simply changes from one step to the next. 

You can pretty much break LOTR down by

First Age: Creation and the conflict with Morgoth

Second Age: Sauron's rise and attempts to take over Middle Earth up to when he is defeated in what most people know as the prologue to the trilogy. Also all the peak civillizations like men, Numenoreans, Dwarves are all thriving in this era. 

Third Age: a declining world where magic is leaving and men are about to becoming the dominant power while Sauron makes one last bid at a comeback while Middle Earth is in a vulnerable state.

Wait I thought he became Annatar to screw with the Elves? But yeah other than that, thanks for breakdown. The show can get away with a time skip after the War of Wrath via prologue like in the movie. Maybe skip to at least a thousand years of peace later before the story begins. I’m more forgiving if things are at least cohesive and executed well.

Edited by Xenos

5 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Wait I thought he became Annatar to screw with the Elves? But yeah other than that, thanks for breakdown. The show can get away with a time skip after the War of Wrath via prologue like in the movie. Maybe skip to at least a thousand years of peace later before the story begins. I’m more forgiving if things are at least cohesive and executed well.

Yeah you are right. Annatar was the Elves it was just close to the same time frame he was worried about Numenor and trying tomess with them. 

I think the big points where the show can do time skips are probably after the fall of Numenor because Sauron takes a major hit there and you can skip to him rebuilding and some new Numenor led civillization in middle Earth. also yes the War of Wrath is a good point. 

• Like 2