Amazon’s LOTR Rings of Power

Xenos

21 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Maybe it’s a Tolkien thing. But I think you have to take things in context. The sergeant type at the beginning has been hunting for centuries with Galadriel. At a certain point as he watches his comrades die in this failed quest, he’s not going to want to continue. It was a reasonable decision to mutiny. I think the point was to show that Galadriel was wrong in her singular focus on revenge. And that the sergeant type was right.

Gil-galad also only really sent off Galadriel as a political and strategic move since he felt she was making things worse as well. His line to Elrond at the end was more about preparing for any potential evil rather than searching it out and make things worse. Especially during a time where there’s supposedly peace.

And I guess I don’t understand the criticism of how Durin felt. I think it was one of the best scenes showing the challenges of friendship between an immortal being and someone who was not. 

Rewatch the very first episode of GOT. It’s a flipping A+ in characterization and how to start a conflict into a story’s setup. Talk about a price to pay for abandoning one’s post/desertion let alone mutiny. And that guy was right to abandon the wall in the hopes of warning people. There’s an entire scene on punishing this…well bastard kid assigned to scout out north of the wall that sees a damn white walker slaughter wildings and his nights watch buddies. 

With this ROP guy, how do we know he was right to whine? It almost never is for a sergeant type, especially in the open. GOT showed you, but in this, we don’t know what to believe or whose side we should take. We just saw a damn magical elf scale a frozen Mount Everest. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

15 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Rewatch the very first episode of GOT. It’s a flipping A+ in characterization and how to start a conflict into a story’s setup. Talk about a price to pay for abandoning one’s post/desertion let alone mutiny. And that guy was right to abandon the wall in the hopes of warning people. There’s an entire scene on punishing this…well bastard kid assigned to scout out north of the wall that sees a damn white walker slaughter wildings and his nights watch buddies. 

With this ROP guy, how do we know he was right to whine? It almost never is for a sergeant type, especially in the open. GOT showed you, but in this, we don’t know what to believe or whose side we should take. We just saw a damn magical elf scale a frozen Mount Everest. 

I guess given all the things that happened in the opening, it felt pretty obvious to me that he was reasonable in stopping the quest. She may be right about evil hiding but how she was going on about it was wrong. And given the amount of exposition the pilot had already, I’m glad that they didn’t try to explain that even more.

On 9/11/2022 at 8:22 PM, Xenos said:

I guess given all the things that happened in the opening, it felt pretty obvious to me that he was reasonable in stopping the quest. She may be right about evil hiding but how she was going on about it was wrong. And given the amount of exposition the pilot had already, I’m glad that they didn’t try to explain that even more.

I’m still not certain he was reasonable. I think Galadriel was right, at least trying find it and measure it. No one else seemed to even want to do that for gods sakes. 

That’s part of the problem that Amazon is going to have to overcome. GOT didn’t explain much. Didn’t have to. The characters SHOWED what the viewers needed to know. Granted, high fantasy is different and the source material isn’t fleshed out in this, but GOT very 1st episode is damn near perfect. And they did it with kid actors. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

14 hours ago, SMashMouthMike said:

I’m still not certain he was reasonable. I think Galadriel was right, at least trying find it and measure it. No one else seemed to even want to do that for gods sakes. 

That’s part of the problem that Amazon is going to have to overcome. GOT didn’t explain much. Didn’t have to. The characters showed what the viewers needed to know. Granted, high fantasy is different and the source material isn’t fleshed out in this, but GOT very 1st episode is damn near perfect. And they did it with kid actors. 

No one wants to do anything about it because it’s heavily implied that nothing has happened for centuries. It feels like she’s just looking for something that’s not there.

Early GOT was pretty amazing by any standards. Not a lot of shows are going to hit that right away. But I’m hopeful because they do have some of the writers from GOT for this show as well. Pacing and dialogue definitely needs much more refinement.

But I do want to emphasize again the difference between Tolkien and Martin’s world. Kindness and trying to be good is a strength for the men in the former’s world, while those same qualities will get you killed in Martin’s.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I can’t remember the others outside of this current episode. Maybe because it wasn’t as noticeable as this weirdly shot one.

That scene was so effing awkward to watch, even moreso than watching an uncle and niece just about get it on in "House of the Dragon".

23 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

That scene was so effing awkward to watch, even moreso than watching an uncle and niece just about get it on in "House of the Dragon".

If they hadn’t zoomed directly into her face in that scene, I wouldn’t have cared as much. But yeah, that was awkward.

Haven’t seen the latest HOTD episode yet. But I was spoiled about it happening beforehand from book readers. So I guess I’m as prepared as I can be for that happening. Or as much as I can be for weird incestual relationships 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Xenos

9 hours ago, adamq said:

LMAO! That thing looks diseased. Does that have black teeth? That shouldn’t have made into the show. Good grief. Peter Jackson’s weren’t great either but this thing looks like a vice is squeezing its innards so much that its eyeballs are popping out. Roadkill. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

9 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

LMAO! That thing looks diseased. Does that have black teeth? That shouldn’t have made into the show. Good grief. Peter Jackson’s weren’t great either but this thing looks like a vice is squeezing its innards so much that its eyeballs are popping out. Roadkill. 

As the tweet says, thats how they are supposed to look. They are evil creatures, and all evil in LOTR is hideous 

Edited by adamq

7 hours ago, adamq said:
7 hours ago, adamq said:

As the tweet says, thats how they are supposed to look. They are evil creatures, and all evil in LOTR is hideous 

Are we looking at the same beast? Hideous yes. Evil though? Now if it ate a harfoot, maybe I’d agree. Thing just looks sickly to me, bug-eyed with rotten teeth. Not as scary as it is confusing. They didn’t even SHOW it doing anything but NOT being able to sniff out and eat any harfoots. Didn’t even chase them. Lol. Unnatural or birth defected would be better but the harfoots don’t examine it really. So what does the audience think? We’re obviously torn between horribly bad cgi, and/or horribly explained beasts by the characters. 

Jesus. And Again. The very first episode of GOT introduced the direwolves so much better. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike