Amazon’s LOTR Rings of Power

Xenos

11 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I’m watching episode 3 now and I still can’t get over the hobbits. I just hate the design choices and characters. 

Just FYI, they aren't hobbits, really. They are an ancestral species to hobbits that are sometimes called a race of hobbits but crossbred with another race that ultimately became the hobbits we know from LOTR. They are supposed to look different.

Obviously you still might not like the design, but if the objection is based on comparison to the hobbits we know, then that is both intentional and necessary.

2 hours ago, mse326 said:

Just FYI, they aren't hobbits, really. They are an ancestral species to hobbits that are sometimes called a race of hobbits but crossbred with another race that ultimately became the hobbits we know from LOTR. They are supposed to look different.

Obviously you still might not like the design, but if the objection is based on comparison to the hobbits we know, then that is both intentional and necessary.

Knowing that does help. Still don’t like the characters though. 

Harfoots storyline, boring
Galadriel storyline, picking up with the introduction of Elendil, but Galadriel is still annoying as hell, and Isildur seems stupid
Southlands/Arondir storyline, picking up, the moron son and sword hilt thing is kind of dumb
Elrond/Durin storyline, probably the best thing going on the show right now, for me at least

I liked that episode, but damn… the dialog seems so hurried at times that I have to turn the subtitles on AND still rewatch parts.( Maybe it’s me, since I do the same thing for GOTs and most movies these days. Accents and background sounds and I’m done.)But..at least the bad guys are showing up and starting to do bad guy stuff. 

Spoiler

I was nodding off during gilgalad’s point to Elrond a bit. Rewatched it. I don’t understand it. If mithril’s that important, why weren’t THEY digging for it? I thought it was just some great metal for armoring up soldiers. Now, not having it makes them mortal? What? Huh? Lucky the orcs and trolls and balrogs didn’t get it then huh, u lazy elves?

Harfoot bit was better,  wargs/wolves looked better, looked like boars though. Seemed brief, but still don’t have any idea of where they’re traveling, nor why. Aimless fools.

The knife bit is stupid, I agree. We’ll see if it goes anywhere. The Key reveal covered by ivy was lol lame. 

Numenorean armor looks a little too…eh too cute I guess. Dudes do not look very fierce dressed up like swans. 

Some good bits in there. Finally getting some conflicts started. I pray.

Edited by SMashMouthMike

I'm a pretty big LOTR fan, but they need to start closing some loops in some capacity and revealing a bit more. I get the character building (and appreciate it) and dialogue, but we need to see this "go" somewhere and soon. A lot going on and not much happening IMO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

This show is very underwhelming overall.

Can anyone explain why Theo decided not to tell anyone about the weapon missing? Or why NO ONE verified if that was the weapon inside the cloth?

I got the impression that there wasn’t enough time for Theo to tell anyone. But, the kid is a dummy. So I really don’t know why, nor care why he does or doesn’t do things. 

But idk why no one else verified the sword. Good-guy hubris I guess, all focused on Adar. But you’re right, you’d think Galadriel of all people would be slightly interested in this thing and at least inspect it before giving it off to another.

Pretty shoddy. Makes the good guys look dumb. Maybe I missed something with her rubbing Adar’s blood on the cloth, but I don’t think so. It’s like they verified the good guys’ stupidity…and intended it that way?

Edited by SMashMouthMike

On 9/30/2022 at 10:13 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I really want to enjoy this show, but it just doesn’t keep my attention. I found myself on my phone watching a baby porcupine eating corn at one point. 

An Amazon analyst said the same thing.

"If we work off of Amazon's reported figures of 25 million viewers for the launch and an audience of 200 million Prime members who engage with Prime Video, we come up with the following: 12.5% penetration (or 87.5% lack of interest)," Forte wrote.

"If we marry the audience score, then we get the following: 9.5 million viewers liked it (38% of 25 million) suggesting 4.75% penetration (95.25% did not like it and or are not interested in it)," he added in the research note. "So as much as 95.25% of Prime members may not be happy about paying $20 more per year for Prime because of Amazon's content spending, including LOTR."