Offseason News

THE DUKE

10 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

That's pretty high. Bates is good but not worth 16 mil+. They ought to just tag him rather than pay that much.

That's the way the cap is heading though over the next few years.  Used to be top guys were $10+ million, now the top guys will be $20+ million

1 hour ago, Johnny Nix said:

Good way to piss off the locker room 

Yeah, but it also might set unrealistic expectations elsewhere.  Pay Bates, but go cheap on Uzomah or Hill? Become Eli Apple's latest hated cit by low balling him? It's always a balance.  We should be good if we're in the ballpark of 15.

1 hour ago, Johnny Nix said:

Good way to piss off the locker room 

Yeah, but it also might set unrealistic expectations elsewhere.  Pay Bates, but go cheap on Uzomah or Hill? Become Eli Apple's latest hated cit by low balling him? It's always a balance.  We should be good if we're in the ballpark of 15.

3 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

his long term price tag isn't going down likely. So are you letting him walk after that 1 season? 

yes, unless his price comes down. You can get JC Jackson for that amount and a top CB has more impact than a good FS. 

If the Bengals pay Jesse the 18 mil or so some are projecting, that means other players will have to go. 

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

yes, unless his price comes down. You can get JC Jackson for that amount and a top CB has more impact than a good FS. 

If the Bengals pay Jesse the 18 mil or so some are projecting, that means other players will have to go. 

That's fair. I personally disagree. I think Bates is super important both on and off the field. Home grown player, 24 years old, and showed what he could do in the playoffs. Even with a corner like Apple, our defense was darn good. I would rather pay Bates and find a CB2 to pair with Chido. Well worth the money to me. 

15 hours ago, sparky151 said:

vs. the tag?  Not really.  It means one mid line player (3-4 mill) leaves and replaced by a draft pick.  Remember when people were saying Apple deserved CB2 money?  He doesn't.  he ends up in the 3-4 mill per year group.  If he thinks he can get more, let him hit the market.  Personally I want them to grab Donte Jackson in a move similar to grabbing Awuzie last year (good zone player coming off an injury, dropping his price some) and still slide in Apple and Flowers.  CB set.  Keep Bates.  

Sign Hill, Uzomah and Spain.  Extend Jonah now, but the new contract money kicks in next year.  Grab two OL, see if you still have money for Ogunjobi or a similar type 3t.  Maybe kick the tires on another TE (Njoku/OJ HOward) for a one year prove it deal around $5 mill (with Joe feeding them the ball).  Head to the draft with most holes filled and grab BPA with an eye on long term linemen.  If Zion Johnson or Kenyon Greene slide to 31, grab them as plug and play.  Hope Kinnard lasts to the next round.