Offseason News

THE DUKE

14 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

I think ultimately they will franchise Bates and reach a long term deal after. If he’s scared of getting hurt maybe he takes a little bit less for long term security. 

Agreed. Bates isn't going anywhere for 2022. With Allen retiring, the team will draft a safety at some point. 

5 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

vs. the tag?  Not really.  It means one mid line player (3-4 mill) leaves and replaced by a draft pick.  Remember when people were saying Apple deserved CB2 money?  He doesn't.  he ends up in the 3-4 mill per year group.  If he thinks he can get more, let him hit the market.  Personally I want them to grab Donte Jackson in a move similar to grabbing Awuzie last year (good zone player coming off an injury, dropping his price some) and still slide in Apple and Flowers.  CB set.  Keep Bates.  

Sign Hill, Uzomah and Spain.  Extend Jonah now, but the new contract money kicks in next year.  Grab two OL, see if you still have money for Ogunjobi or a similar type 3t.  Maybe kick the tires on another TE (Njoku/OJ HOward) for a one year prove it deal around $5 mill (with Joe feeding them the ball).  Head to the draft with most holes filled and grab BPA with an eye on long term linemen.  If Zion Johnson or Kenyon Greene slide to 31, grab them as plug and play.  Hope Kinnard lasts to the next round.

Fix the O-line first. I wouldn't re-sign Spain or Uzomah ahead of free agency. Maybe Hill if he's not demanding a lot but interior pass rushers get paid.

We're thin at CB with only Awuzie and Hilton under contract at the moment (assuming Waynes is released). We're thin at a few positions like CB and WR but can add depth in the draft. This is a good draft for TEs but let's see if Gronk is serious about wanting to play with Burrow. 

Gronk has taken way below market value money the last several years. He played for 8 mil while we paid Uzomah 6 but is much better. He could easily get Hunter Henry 12 mil per year but he isn't about the money. 

Gronk would be a great addition at a very reasonable price. 

20 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm curious if we get Hill back a little cheaper than we think, there are a LOT of DT's in FA this year that are intriguing.  Same with Ogunjobi really, especially coming off an injury.

2022 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

Hoping to resign one at least. Also not opposed to looking at an upgrade there, but more likely to get an early draft guy. I still think of Atkins as a maybe if his health is right. It's unlikely, I am aware, but young healthy Geno was the template for the type of person and player we've tried to have here.

The return of Burrow and Chase to Louisiana should be in primetime. I want people across the US to see signs welcoming these players back to the state where they led LSU to a national title in 2019.

If this game is on NBC, I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints use this opportunity to retire Drew Brees' #9 at halftime, since it is very likely he will be SNF's color commentator in 2022.

Edited by pf9

10 hours ago, pf9 said:

The return of Burrow and Chase to Louisiana should be in primetime. I want people across the US to see signs welcoming these players back to the state where they led LSU to a national title in 2019.

If this game is on NBC, I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints use this opportunity to retire Drew Brees' #9 at halftime, since it is very likely he will be SNF's color commentator in 2022.

All that sounds pretty cool. I was thinking about making that trip for the game.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The league seems to feel it's not a story of national interest but merely local interest in New Orleans and Cincinnati. I think NO will clearly be at least second in their division this year but most handicappers don't expect much from Jameis Winston. 

Bates has said he won't sign the franchise tender and won't play this year without a long term deal. I doubt he would sit out the year and it doesn't look like the team will give him a deal he wants since they used the first round pick on his replacement.