Offseason News

THE DUKE

4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I think the Bengals either:

a) Call his bluff and Jessie reports when he starts getting fined
b) Trade him for nothing less than a first round pick
c) Let him sit

Bates can't be fined for skipping the offseason or training camp because he's not under contract unless he signs his franchise tender. I don't think he'll skip the season because his 12.9 mil tender is more than he's earned so far in his career and his market value won't be higher next offseason if he skips a year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ochocinco4pres said:

This was the clear next step by Bates. I don't blame him. Get your money. I hope they get a deal done though. 

I think his departure was assured when they used the first round pick on a free safety. My guess is Bates signs his tender right before the season starts. He'll likely not be in football shape so Hill will probably get more snaps than Bates the first couple of games. If Hill plays well, then Bates may become a backup. 

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I think his departure was assured when they used the first round pick on a free safety. My guess is Bates signs his tender right before the season starts. He'll likely not be in football shape so Hill will probably get more snaps than Bates the first couple of games. If Hill plays well, then Bates may become a backup. 

Tis the season for your hot takes.  Why is everything so extreme with you lately?   Bates will sign the tender in camp if they haven't worked out a deal yet.  He absolutely isn't going to back up anyone.

19 hours ago, sparky151 said:

While I agree the Hill pick was a sign to Bates, I truly do think they could play side by side in the secondary. I think you are completely wrong about the last statement. Bates is one of the top safeties in the game. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Tis the season for your hot takes.  Why is everything so extreme with you lately?   Bates will sign the tender in camp if they haven't worked out a deal yet.  He absolutely isn't going to back up anyone.

What's extreme about seeing Hill as Bates' replacement? Bates says he wants a long term deal which the team is even less likely to give him now that they have Hill. Bates says he won't play on the tender. IMO, he'll exercise his right to wait until before week 1 to sign it. If he does that and Hill has had a training camp and pre-season, he'd probably start ahead of Bates, assuming Hill plays well. 

1 hour ago, ochocinco4pres said:

While I agree the Hill pick was a sign to Bates, I truly do think they could play side by side in the secondary. I think you are completely wrong about the last statement. Bates is one of the top safeties in the game. 

Eh, Bell had a better season than Bates last year. Bates had a very good season in 2020. But he's also never been picked for a pro-bowl. I think it's clear the Bengals aren't going to sign Bates to a long term deal. 

12 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Eh, Bell had a better season than Bates last year. Bates had a very good season in 2020. But he's also never been picked for a pro-bowl. I think it's clear the Bengals aren't going to sign Bates to a long term deal. 

Pro bowl is as irrelevant as ever IMO. Bell is solid. But Bates is a game changed and showed that in the playoffs. He admitted his 2021 was a weird year because he was worried about his contract throughout. I do agree I do not see a deal getting done, but I think that is a shame.

Bates is everything a team like the Bengals preaches. 2nd round draft pick. Started since he was a rookie. Has become one of the best at his position and is only 25. Yet they let him walk...Kevin Zeitler stuff all over 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

What's extreme about seeing Hill as Bates' replacement? Bates says he wants a long term deal which the team is even less likely to give him now that they have Hill. Bates says he won't play on the tender. IMO, he'll exercise his right to wait until before week 1 to sign it. If he does that and Hill has had a training camp and pre-season, he'd probably start ahead of Bates, assuming Hill plays well. 

Long term replacement?  Yes.  Starter over hjm all season?  No

Healthier, Leaner Jackson Carman Preparing for Cincinnati Bengals' Left Guard Competition - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

Well, at least Carman didn't come into this camp like he did the last camp (unprepared and over weight).  Hopefully he's maturing some.  He seems to be getting the first shot at the LG job working with the 1's, but Volson, Smith, and Adeniji are all getting reps at LG.

9 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Healthier, Leaner Jackson Carman Preparing for Cincinnati Bengals' Left Guard Competition - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

Well, at least Carman didn't come into this camp like he did the last camp (unprepared and over weight).  Hopefully he's maturing some.  He seems to be getting the first shot at the LG job working with the 1's, but Volson, Smith, and Adeniji are all getting reps at LG.

Agreed. If he didn't he likely would have a very short NFL career especially with the off field question from his past. 

On 5/27/2022 at 12:04 PM, Beck Bristow said:

I like what we saw out of Smith, but I'm pretty worried if we have Volson or Adeneji starting this year. 

I would think they'd bring back Spain before letting either of those start over the presumed top two in Carman/Smith.  If Adeniji starts, it's more about what the others can't do than how much he improved.