Offseason News

THE DUKE

On 5/29/2022 at 7:53 PM, INbengalfan said:

I would think they'd bring back Spain before letting either of those start over the presumed top two in Carman/Smith.  If Adeniji starts, it's more about what the others can't do than how much he improved.

If Adeniji starts again, it is a complete miss by this team. Go sign a guy like Tretter and move Karras to G before you allow Adeniji start for this team 

Not a bad take. If Bates doesn't show up until week 1 of the regular season, then Hill will get lots of snaps in practice and preseason. If he plays well from the jump, he can keep the job. He was a much better prospect than Bates entering the league. Bates is a good player but let's not act like he's an all-pro or something. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Not a bad take. If Bates doesn't show up until week 1 of the regular season, then Hill will get lots of snaps in practice and preseason. If he plays well from the jump, he can keep the job. He was a much better prospect than Bates entering the league. Bates is a good player but let's not act like he's an all-pro or something. 

Go explain that to a locker room full of veterans.  With a straight face.

Bates is the one who needs to explain why he isn't there. It's a custom for players not to comment on a teammates business. So we won't hear anything before July 15. But since it's obvious the team isn't going to give Bates an extension, if he exercises his right to skip training camp and shows up just before the first game, the vets will understand why Hill is starting ahead of Bates. That's assuming Hill plays well in camp and preseason. If Hill struggles, then it's a different conversation. 

On 5/29/2022 at 7:53 PM, INbengalfan said:

I would think they'd bring back Spain before letting either of those start over the presumed top two in Carman/Smith.  If Adeniji starts, it's more about what the others can't do than how much he improved.

Adeneji seemed better at tackle.  Wish we had grabbed another guard rather than going with him as the backup plan. I am glad that Spain and Hopkins are unsigned if it comes to it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 9:42 AM, SmittyBacall said:

What a god awful take. 😂 

reading through some of these late since the site has been dead for a while.

I didn't go back to it, but that comment about Bates being a backup was a joke right? 

Edited by fluhartz

19 hours ago, fluhartz said:

reading through some of these late since the site has been dead for a while.

I didn't go back to it, but that comment about Bates being a backup was a joke right? 

No. Bates has said he won't play on the tag. I don't believe that he'll skip the season but he can wait until week 1 of the regular season to sign and get the whole amount. If he does that and Hill plays well in preseason, then Hill will likely keep the starting job in 2022. He'll be the starter in 2023 anyway and as long as he plays well he'll keep the job. If he struggles, then Bates will be back in the lineup. Bates is a good player but Hill is a better prospect entering the league than Bates was and the team expects he'll at least be a good replacement and hopes he'll be an upgrade. Those are high expectations but if Hill has a good camp and preseason, the team won't look back. 

22 hours ago, sparky151 said:

No. Bates has said he won't play on the tag. I don't believe that he'll skip the season but he can wait until week 1 of the regular season to sign and get the whole amount. If he does that and Hill plays well in preseason, then Hill will likely keep the starting job in 2022. He'll be the starter in 2023 anyway and as long as he plays well he'll keep the job. If he struggles, then Bates will be back in the lineup. Bates is a good player but Hill is a better prospect entering the league than Bates was and the team expects he'll at least be a good replacement and hopes he'll be an upgrade. Those are high expectations but if Hill has a good camp and preseason, the team won't look back. 

😂

11 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Really? You don't think the team made the decision to replace Bates when they used their first round pick on the position? You think they'll sign Bates to a multi-year extension?

For the right price, yes. But Bates will either start, get traded or sit out the season.

I think there is close to a 0% chance the team signs Bates to a long term deal by July 15. I think there is close to a 0% chance Bates sits out the whole year. And the chances of a trade aren't very good either as his new team couldn't sign him to a long term deal unless the trade is done by July 15. The Bengals are prepared to move ahead without Bates. If he sits out, they have Hill. If he reports for camp, they have Hill. If Hill struggles, then having Bates back would be great. If Hill doesn't struggle, then having Bates back will just be insurance. The job is Hill's to lose. 

Maybe Bates swallows his pride, signs the tender, and reports for the first day of camp. That would be good for the team. But he doesn't gain anything from it. He doesn't lose any money unless he holds out into the season. If Hill struggles, maybe the team offers more than the tag amount. Or maybe they move on in 2022.