2022 Pro Days

JetsandI

5 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

I agree about Jeremy Ruckert. He reminds me of a Jace Amaro type of stiff. And his production @ Ohio State just wasn't there only 26 catches for only 309 receiving yards and 3 TDs as Senior this past season? No thanks. 

Jalen Wydermyer: 6'5/255 lbs. 

3 years. 

34 games. 

118 receptions. 

1,468 receiving yards. 

(12.4 yards per catch). 

16 TD Receptions. 

Vs. 

Trey McBride: 6'4/260 lbs. 

4 years. 

40 games. 

164 receptions. 

2,100 receiving yards. 

(12.8 yards per catch). 

10 TDs. 

Remember our (QB) conversation last night?

So the question now becomes...

A.) Are you going with Trey McBride who received the John Mackey Award for best TE in the Country and all because he had better stats than Jalen Wydermyer (while playing @ Colorado State) within an absolute crap MWC conference and got to play against crap teams such as UNLV, San Jose State, Hawaii, Nevada, Fresno State, San Diego State, New Mexico, Wyoming, Boise State, Air Force and Utah State. When's the last time any of these schools that he competed against ever won a National Championship? Sounds like he saw a zero (0) level of competition. 

vs. 

B.) Are you going with Jalen Wydermyer who didn't put up empty stats (as did Trey McBride) and actually played against elite SEC D's such as Georgia, Florida, LSU and Alabama etc and against just those 4 SEC schools alone he combined for 34 receptions and 3 TDs (8 games) while also becoming an All-SEC (3×) Second Team TE (2019–2021) and only finished behind Brock Bowers and Kyle Pitts (x2). 

Who you going with? 

I’d gladly welcome either. That being said since we coached McBride… I think we have eyes set out for him. I’ve said for a couple weeks now that if I had to bet 1 player we draft this year right now (pre FA) he’d be it. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d gladly welcome either. That being said since we coached McBride… I think we have eyes set out for him. I’ve said for a couple weeks now that if I had to bet 1 player we draft this year right now (pre FA) he’d be it. 

I was just trying to play SEC vs. small school devils advocate etc.

But I love Trey McBride and would take him over Jalen Wydermyer (who I also love). 

I just hope they both fall into the 2nd round.

About 1/2 the players invited to the combine are threatening to skip it bc of the protocols. Apparently the NFL wants “bubble” type environment there and each prospect can only bring 1 “support” person with them. In regular years a player can bring whoever they wanted such as coaches they’ve worked with and such to help them. Also I’m not sure what the ability for teams to speak with prospects and even each other are. So combine is still kind of in a holding pattern right now bc of this.

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

About 1/2 the players invited to the combine are threatening to skip it bc of the protocols. Apparently the NFL wants “bubble” type environment there and each prospect can only bring 1 “support” person with them. In regular years a player can bring whoever they wanted such as coaches they’ve worked with and such to help them. Also I’m not sure what the ability for teams to speak with prospects and even each other are. So combine is still kind of in a holding pattern right now bc of this.

I don't blame these kids one bit.

If I were an NFL draft prospect myself; I wouldn't want to show up and train/test without my people alongside of me (either).

The NFL is on some type of hypocritical horse crap. You 100% (completely) remove the Covid Protocol Restrictions for both the playoffs and Super Bowl (with no regard for player safety/sickness) but then you become extremely strict again for the combine?

The NFL should be ashamed of themselves.

Let me guess.

The NFL Postseason + Super Bowl creates more $$$$ and more revenue for the NFL than the Combine does?

#MoneyIsTheRootOfAllEvil.

16 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

I don't blame these kids one bit.

If I were an NFL draft prospect myself; I wouldn't want to show up and train/test without my people alongside of me (either).

The NFL is on some type of hypocritical horse crap. You 100% (completely) remove the Covid Protocol Restrictions for both the playoffs and Super Bowl (with no regard for player safety/sickness) but then you become extremely strict again for the combine?

The NFL should be ashamed of themselves.

Let me guess.

The NFL Postseason + Super Bowl creates more $$$$ and more revenue for the NFL than the Combine does?

#MoneyIsTheRootOfAllEvil.

NFL people have been together,GoT, for a whole season so there was no reason to have COVID restriction.    Draft prospects come from many different states with many different people they work with.  

7 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Combine now is back to normal.

Working for the US GOV this was such a move that we get all the time at my job. GOV tries changing big things pulling one over on the workers, all to just waste time and money with the unions immediately filing on it and it just going back to the way it was.

So many snakes out there in the world. 

On 2/18/2022 at 12:21 PM, Bobby816 said:

I'm not a combine guy, so I wont be too active in this thread. I do like that it gives smaller school guys an avenue to show teams they're legit. But pretty much what top guys do at the combine, doesn't alter my opinion on them much. 

You have a strong point, i feel the same way, I am not going to change my opinion on a player because he can do 40 pull up or lift 300# twenty five times. Its all about how they do on the field.

VERN GHOLSTON HAD FANTASTIC COMBINE NUMBERS, broad  jump 10.5 feet, ran a 4.6 forty, and pressed 225# thirty seven times, his vertical jump was 35.5".  And became one of our worst high first round picks in our history.

Edited by doumeyer

For me the combine is like an all star game or skills competition. Fun to watch but my opinions don’t change much on things.

For example….. if Evan Neal has shorter arms than we think and doesn’t bench press well, I don’t care. I’ve watched him and like his play regardless. Treylon Burks let’s say runs a 4.6 40. I don’t care. He gets separation against SEC DBs and wins in multiple ways. He’s still my favorite WR regardless of that 40. Stingley goes out and runs a 4.3, I don’t care. I still don’t want a CB high period. Never mind a guy that hasn’t played much in 2 years and has been significantly worse than he was as a freshman. Sauce Gardner runs a 4.5, I still have him ranked as my #1 CB. Nakobe Dean runs great. I still think bc of his size he’s not the best LB fit for us.

You get the point.

My opinions on the top guys won’t change over the combine. Film doesn’t lie over the course of 1-4 years. 1-2 days of workouts I won’t let alter my thoughts. 

19 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

As a scout or coach I'd be more interested in the interviews and hearing these kids speak.

Yes and that’s something JD values. If you look at his draft history with us… he drafts a lot of guys who were captains or leaders on their teams.

Smart GM's only care about the interview portion of the combine.  Foolish GM's let the drills dictate positional value.  The combine has become nothing more than income for the NFL.  Most teams would probably just rather have an interview week and go to pro days for some final details.