Will the KO Offense be a Knock Out?

vike daddy

• 2 weeks later...

Either KOC isn't a good playcaller/play designer or Kirk is missing lot of plays out there on the field. There is just no reason for this offense to be so inconsistent and below par despite having better personnel and slightly better pass blocking than last few seasons. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SotanKing said:

Either KOC isn't a good playcaller/play designer or Kirk is missing lot of plays out there on the field. There is just no reason for this offense to be so inconsistent and below par despite having better personnel and slightly better pass blocking than last few seasons. 

Isn’t Kirk having a really bad year from an analytics standpoint. Maybe he’s part of the problem for most of the game. 

1 minute ago, SotanKing said:

Did you see how many dropped passes there were in the first half? No momentum and having your hand forced down 14 isn’t something that I’d put on O’Connell.

he does have some head scratching tendencies though - like shot plays on third/fourth and short. Or the insistence on toss plays.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Isn’t Kirk having a really bad year from an analytics standpoint. Maybe he’s part of the problem for most of the game. 

Have you watched most of the games? Cousins and Jefferson have been great most of the time. Kirk has bee. One of the best in the league in the back 1/3 of the season (aside from today).

the offensive struggles seem very much tied to injuries on the OL, and to being in deep holes often.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 2

Just now, JDBrocks said:

Have you watched most of the games? Cousins and Jefferson have been great most of the time. Kirk has bee. One of the best in the league in the back 1/3 of the season (aside from today).

the offensive struggles seem very much tied to injuries on the OL, and to being in deep holes often.

We do so little in quarters 1-3 and that’s been a regular trend. That is what I mean, we show up in the 4th quarter. 

15 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

yeah..this is his worst year in a while based on most of the advanced stats data..he usually used to rank in 5-15 range in EPA/Play for most of his career but this season he is ranked around 20th. This also has been worst season accuracy wise based on CPOE %(used to measure accuracy)..he usually used to be near top3 or top5 in this stat. Even his PFF grade has gone down this year when compared to last 3 seasons

Edited by SotanKing

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Did you see how many dropped passes there were in the first half? No momentum and having your hand forced down 14 isn’t something that I’d put on O’Connell.

he does have some head scratching tendencies though - like shot plays on third/fourth and short. Or the insistence on toss plays.

it's not just based on this game though...through out the whole season, offense has been super inconsistent. After the disaster vs Cowboys, I was hoping KOC would adapt a bit and work on quick passing game when the OLine is struggling...but you get a feeling that this offense still relies lot on slow developing plays. The screen game is still mostly a mess. 

Just now, JDBrocks said:

It’s not a Cousins problem, that’s what I mean.

I get the OL issues, but he’s always dealt with that here. Why are the results so different up until the 4th quarter. Kirk just looks off this year throwing. Not calling for his head but we can’t continue getting outplayed through three quarters. This isn’t a winning strategy come January. 

1 minute ago, SotanKing said:

it's not just based on this game though...through out the whole season, offense has been super inconsistent. After the disaster vs Cowboys, I was hoping KOC would adapt a bit and work on quick passing game when the OLine is struggling...but you get a feeling that this offense still relies lot on slow developing plays. The screen game is still mostly a mess. 

Vikings have actually cleaned up the screen game and are statistically in the top 1/3 of the league on screen efficiency now. 

whole heartedly agree on improving/using the short passing game. Hopefully that’s installed next year. I don’t think you see much of it in the McVay style offenses, though.

He’s not perfect, but I think he’s done enough really creative things like 1st drive scripts and low Redzone offense that I’m in on him improving after a first season as a HC and playcaller.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I get the OL issues, but he’s always dealt with that here. Why are the results so different up until the 4th quarter. Kirk just looks off this year throwing. Not calling for his head but we can’t continue getting outplayed through three quarters. This isn’t a winning strategy come January. 

His accuracy had been worse early on as he was adapting to the new offense, but has been better of late before today. I think this season has been so wildly unpredictable that it’s hard to point to any one thing that can be fixed. Definitely not a Cousins issue. He’s the guy for next season, and probably one more with an extension.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

His accuracy had been worse early on as he was adapting to the new offense, but has been better of late before today. I think this season has been so wildly unpredictable that it’s hard to point to any one thing that can be fixed. Definitely not a Cousins issue. He’s the guy for next season, and probably one more with an extension.

Don’t disagree with him being the guy for the immediate term. Unfortunately we don’t have the ammo to draft his replacement in 2023 and frankly this team would be terrible for a young QB since we aren’t competitive for much of the game.  They need to figure this out, and I think they’ve run out of time this year.

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Don’t disagree with him being the guy for the immediate term. Unfortunately we don’t have the ammo to draft his replacement in 2023 and frankly this team would be terrible for a young QB since we aren’t competitive for much of the game.  They need to figure this out, and I think they’ve run out of time this year.

A young QB would be great to develop behind a young and extremely promising OL, with the best WR in the game, and a top 10 security blanket TE.

we’ll see. Let’s hope we rest up next week and start game-planning for the Giants.

• Like 1