Will the KO Offense be a Knock Out?

vike daddy

On 5/28/2022 at 9:35 PM, vikingsrule said:

I miss the Childress days. 

Wasn't Mike Tice considered an offensive mind?

It doesn't always work out, although Tice's teams always seemed to play above their talent level (or they were just very lucky in the regular season).

37 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

It doesn't always work out, although Tice's teams always seemed to play above their talent level (or they were just very lucky in the regular season).

Thinking Moss basically carried those Tice teams. Defense wasn’t ever very good, Culpepper was never consistent. They did have some decent OLs though if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

No, he was considered a OL guru and a players coach at that time

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 8:15 AM, mattyice0401 said:

Its so nice having an offensive minded HC

I can't say it's nice until I actually see them play.  We've had offensive-minded coaches in the past and they were nothing to be so fond of.  

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I can't say it's nice until I actually see them play.  We've had offensive-minded coaches in the past and they were nothing to be so fond of.  

I was ready for change for a couple years so Im looking forward to it

5 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I was ready for change for a couple years so Im looking forward to it

I was only ready this past year, but I didn't care whether it was for an offensive-minded or defensive-minded coach...it just needed to be different.  I've always preferred defensive-minded coaches, but it's been much harder for them to be successful with the rules these days.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I was only ready this past year, but I didn't care whether it was for an offensive-minded or defensive-minded coach...it just needed to be different.  I've always preferred defensive-minded coaches, but it's been much harder for them to be successful with the rules these days.  

I dont think ive ever really cared either if its a offensive or defensive minded HC but this time around I wanted a offensive minded because of the way the games going and the way the rules are set up (like you said) and not wanting to see our offensive coordinator get poached every other year like they did

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

I dont think ive ever really cared either if its a offensive or defensive minded HC but this time around I wanted a offensive minded because of the way the games going and the way the rules are set up (like you said) and not wanting to see our offensive coordinator get poached every other year like they did

Agreed. Offensive continuity is far too important in today’s NFL. I wouldn’t rule out a defensive minded head coach as long as they can establish an offensive identity and really own it. Seems Zimmer knew what he wanted his offense to look like but failed to really spend any time actually managing it. I know that sounds like he’s not a micromanager and that’s usually a good thing, I don’t think it is in this case. Zimmer should have been more involved in film study with Cousins and overall molding the offense year to year. Instead, seems like he just took a backseat to the OC.

Edited by vikingsrule

The Minnesota Vikings' new coaching staff encountered a problem early in its tenure. While building his offensive scheme, coach Kevin O'Connell wanted to incorporate a menu of plays he used in his previous role as the Los Angeles Rams' offensive coordinator. Unfortunately, those plays were grouped in what the Rams called their "Rampage" menu, named after the team's mascot.

"Viktor," the Vikings' mascot, didn't sound right. Neither did "Ragnar," a nickname for an earlier mascot. Eventually, they settled on "Rage," a word that occasionally pops up around Viking and Norse mythology.

https://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/31851/inside-the-vikings-scheme-transition-why-kirk-cousins-is-using-flash-cards-and-adam-thielen-is-swimming