Will the KO Offense be a Knock Out?

vike daddy

• 3 weeks later...

There has been frequent mention of modernizing an offense that had grown stale in recent seasons and wide receiver Justin Jefferson has been enthusiastic about the direction that he sees the team moving in this year. That continued to be the case in a recent appearance on NFL Network.

Jefferson: “Our offensive style, it’s not a run-first offense anymore. Just us being able to put different people in different positions and distribute the ball, really. I’m so excited in this offense. Us just being in OTAs, learning the plays, going through it with our defense, and stuff.”

“We’re all excited. We’re all happy to have (Kevin O’Connell). It’s definitely a different vibe, a different connection in the building with him there. We’re just excited to start it up, really. We want to see how this season is going to turn out for us.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/24/justin-jefferson-were-not-a-run-first-offense-anymore/

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

One change that could be in the works is where Dalvin Cook will line up on offense. Dispatches from Vikings OTAs shared that Cook was lining up as a wide receiver at times in practice and that would represent a new look for the team this season.  Cook said that he views himself as a “bell-cow” back who can carry the ball 30 times a week but added that he sees himself “rising to the occasion” in any role that the Vikings want him to play.

Cook: “Wherever they want me to fit in.  We got to run the football. That’s a must. So, we’ve got to do a good job at that. However many touches I get, I’m going to take advantage of it. I’m just ready to win games. Wherever I fit in at, if it’s an opportunity to help us win a game, ‘Put me in there, coach.’ That’s my mindset. Whatever it is, just throw me out there and I’m ready to make a play.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/22/dalvin-cook-wherever-vikings-want-me-to-fit-in-offense-is-good-for-me/

Before Matthew Stafford trekked to Hollywood, he was a career “loser” held back by an underperforming Detroit Lions franchise. He just needed a change of scenery to flourish — was the working theory by the Rams during the Stafford trade. McVay, O’Connell, and most importantly, Stafford were vindicated within one year. The Rams outlasted the Cincinnati Bengals in the Super Bowl, and now Stafford’s legacy is immortalized.

Kirk Cousins isn’t even a “loser” like Stafford was at this time last year. The Lions were 74-90-1 (.451) with Stafford at the helm, whereas the Washington Commanders and Vikings are 59-59-2 (.500) with Cousins as QB1.

To date, Cousins has started 120 games. Here’s the statistical comparison of his first 120 starts to Stafford’s first 120:

Stafford, in First 120 Starts:
33,313 Passing Yards
61.6% Completion Pct
208 Passing TDs
114 INTs
87.7 Passer Rating

Cousins, in First 120 Starts:
32,099 Passing Yards
67.0% Completion Pct
219 Passing TDs
87 INTs
99.0 Passer Rating

Therefore, the gap isn’t vast — and even favors Cousins by the numbers. And that’s probably why some folks have no problem envisioning a Stafford-esque ascension from Cousins with a new, tailor-made offense.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/general-news/possible-potency-of-kirk-cousins-in-a-kevin-oconnell-offense-picks-up-steam?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 2

While I'd like to see it, I won't believe it until I see it in action.  Unlike Stafford, Cousins is often risk-averse and that generally bites him in the backside because he's not willing to take many of the risks necessary to win at a high level.  He'll do it on occasion (he did do it several times last year), but he hasn't been consistent in it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

While I'd like to see it, I won't believe it until I see it in action.  Unlike Stafford, Cousins is often risk-averse and that generally bites him in the backside because he's not willing to take many of the risks necessary to win at a high level.  He'll do it on occasion (he did do it several times last year), but he hasn't been consistent in it.

And I’m very curious to see if having a coach with a more aggressive approach won’t help Cousins be more consistent doing it. 

There’s no denying that Zimmer preached avoiding turnovers at all costs. Every QB under Zimmer was super careful and conservative when it came to turnover worthy plays. And when someone wasn’t, like Keenum, Zimmer had no trouble airing his criticism. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Matthew Stafford: “At this point in the year last season, I think to myself what I knew about this team and this offense, and it’s just so small in comparison to what I know and understand now. So that gives me great comfort in the fact that we can go above and beyond what we did last year.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/08/matthew-stafford-what-i-knew-about-this-offense-last-year-was-so-small-compared-to-now/

so, is the KO Offense a tough one to learn...?

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Matthew Stafford: “At this point in the year last season, I think to myself what I knew about this team and this offense, and it’s just so small in comparison to what I know and understand now. So that gives me great comfort in the fact that we can go above and beyond what we did last year.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/08/matthew-stafford-what-i-knew-about-this-offense-last-year-was-so-small-compared-to-now/

so, is the KO Offense a tough one to learn...?

I don't know, but at least Kirk probably has a step up on where Stafford was considering he worked with KO in the past.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not worried about Cousins learning a new offense. He’s done it every year. 

Yup. And Kirk is a very, very intelligent guy. This isn’t Brett Favre asking Matt Flynn what a Nickel Defense is. 

On 6/29/2022 at 9:19 AM, vike daddy said:

Before Matthew Stafford trekked to Hollywood, he was a career “loser” held back by an underperforming Detroit Lions franchise. He just needed a change of scenery to flourish — was the working theory by the Rams during the Stafford trade. McVay, O’Connell, and most importantly, Stafford were vindicated within one year. The Rams outlasted the Cincinnati Bengals in the Super Bowl, and now Stafford’s legacy is immortalized.

Kirk Cousins isn’t even a “loser” like Stafford was at this time last year. The Lions were 74-90-1 (.451) with Stafford at the helm, whereas the Washington Commanders and Vikings are 59-59-2 (.500) with Cousins as QB1.

To date, Cousins has started 120 games. Here’s the statistical comparison of his first 120 starts to Stafford’s first 120:

Stafford, in First 120 Starts:
33,313 Passing Yards
61.6% Completion Pct
208 Passing TDs
114 INTs
87.7 Passer Rating

Cousins, in First 120 Starts:
32,099 Passing Yards
67.0% Completion Pct
219 Passing TDs
87 INTs
99.0 Passer Rating

Therefore, the gap isn’t vast — and even favors Cousins by the numbers. And that’s probably why some folks have no problem envisioning a Stafford-esque ascension from Cousins with a new, tailor-made offense.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/general-news/possible-potency-of-kirk-cousins-in-a-kevin-oconnell-offense-picks-up-steam?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

There is this reality, Matthew Stafford coming out of college in terms of pure arm talent is like a 10 and still has that arm talent if not more so now.

Kirk Cousins coming out of college was like a 6 or 7 arm talent and more the game manager type.  Granted he has greatly improved as a pro and totally maximized his potential and has done great professionally, but even at his best he is a 7 or an 8 in terms of arm talent.

So there is that reality, Stafford was the #1 pick overall for a reason, Kirk was the 104th pick in the draft for a reason.  Sure Kirk has done amazing considering where he came from but there is a massive arm talent difference between the two.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

There is this reality, Matthew Stafford coming out of college in terms of pure arm talent is like a 10 and still has that arm talent if not more so now.

Kirk Cousins coming out of college was like a 6 or 7 arm talent and more the game manager type.  Granted he has greatly improved as a pro and totally maximized his potential and has done great professionally, but even at his best he is a 7 or an 8 in terms of arm talent.

So there is that reality, Stafford was the #1 pick overall for a reason, Kirk was the 104th pick in the draft for a reason.  Sure Kirk has done amazing considering where he came from but there is a massive arm talent difference between the two.  

Do you think Cousins would've been drafted higher if he had better arm talent?

• 3 weeks later...

Running back Dalvin Cook is entering his sixth pro season and his first under a head coach not named Mike Zimmer. With Kevin O’Connell now at the helm, Cook said over the weekend that he’s looking forward to seeing what the team can do together.

Cook: “I’m very fired up. There’s a new energy in the building. We’re just ready to show everybody what we’re putting in, and go out and compete. … I’m just loving what’s going on in the building, loving our team chemistry, and I feel like we’ve got something special going on. Whenever my number is called, I’m going to make the best of my opportunity. Whatever it is, I just want to win at this point.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/25/dalvin-cook-i-feel-like-weve-got-something-special-going-on/

• Like 1