Will the KO Offense be a Knock Out?

vike daddy

Conor Orr, Sports Illustrated: "The Vikings have the third-best play success rate in the NFL behind the Bills and the Chiefs. Is that good? We should stop making fun of every team who hires Sean McVay's friends. It seems to be working."

https://www.vikings.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-mixed-opinions-win-over-bears?fbclid=IwAR2D-LVtFZ4g0_DI1JIv-_rqhhNlaPPOa4VNLGf10vQWPyNqojx9jUk-qzc

Edited by vike daddy

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Conor Orr, Sports Illustrated: "The Vikings have the third-best play success rate in the NFL behind the Bills and the Chiefs. Is that good? We should stop making fun of every team who hires Sean McVay's friends. It seems to be working."

https://www.vikings.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-mixed-opinions-win-over-bears?fbclid=IwAR2D-LVtFZ4g0_DI1JIv-_rqhhNlaPPOa4VNLGf10vQWPyNqojx9jUk-qzc

So then I'd ask Conor...why did you drop them 2 spots in your power poll if you're so impressed with him?  And your entire poll is invalidated when you put the Packers at #4, who have barely looked like they should be #14 thus far.  

• Like 3

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/11/vikings-kevin-oconnell-baldys-breakdowns/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2W6aQRooLs1gW62Ii65BwTOI1WKxn-DrW_vj2ToMTed9OFWetPIMQEpf4

scroll down to the Twitter video for Baldinger's analysis of OC's offensive planning and execution:

"The level of execution is almost unparalleled."

• Like 1

Barring significant injury, I think the offense will only get better as the season continues.  We are still only 5 games into the starters playing in the O'Connell scheme (as most didn't play in the preseason.)  I think it will be a significant sign when Cousins is able to spread the ball around, including more passes for RB's and TE's.  I like the concept of using the passing game to open up the run.  This offense isn't quite there, but they are close.

• Like 2

O'Connell:  "It's just a matter of consistency. Guys doing their job, Kirk running the show and making sure we put a lot on his plate. He's done a really good job of handling all that, but at the same time, we want to get that comfort where — as he said to me — there's no thinking anymore and he's just playing. We're getting close. How we put together plans helps us do that and I have a ton of confidence that we'll find that rhythm and consistency. And when we do, the results will speak for themselves."

https://www.vikings.com/news/nfl-com-spotlights-vikings-desire-to-keep-improving?fbclid=IwAR1tJji-Qc63gq1xoSLSWo5QfiVmzgILWqZBx_yvNiWXenhiqDUZ3fm7glY

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 11:29 AM, Captain Relax said:

Barring significant injury, I think the offense will only get better as the season continues.  We are still only 5 games into the starters playing in the O'Connell scheme (as most didn't play in the preseason.)  I think it will be a significant sign when Cousins is able to spread the ball around, including more passes for RB's and TE's.  I like the concept of using the passing game to open up the run.  This offense isn't quite there, but they are close.

The second half offense hasn't been as good as the first half offense.

Any reason you guys think that is?

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

The second half offense hasn't been as good as the first half offense.

Any reason you guys think that is?

The simplest reason is the Vikings hold the ball for less time in the 2nd half (46%, which is 25th in the NFL) as compared to the 1st half (53%, which is 5th in the NFL).

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, swede700 said:

The simplest reason is the Vikings hold the ball for less time in the 2nd half (46%, which is 25th in the NFL) as compared to the 1st half (53%, which is 5th in the NFL).

Hasn’t there been more three and outs in the second half? How does that stop? 

As the Broncos have struggled to a 2-3 start under first-year coach Nathaniel Hackett and the Vikings have rocketed to a 4-1 start under first-year head coach Kevin O’Connell, former Broncos G.M. John Elway had made some interesting remarks to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press regarding O’Connell’s candidacy for the Denver head-coaching job.

Elway:  “We interviewed him last year, and we were really, really impressed with his interview, so it does not surprise me that he’s having good success up there. He was very, very impressive in the interview process, and it was nip and tuck which way we wanted to go. So I was glad to see that he got an opportunity, and I’m glad to see he’s having the success he’s having because he gave a great interview with us. I think the system coming out from in L.A., being with the Rams, and what he learned out there, obviously he’s taken that, and I’m sure he’s putting in his own wrinkles to it. But I think he’s grown up under a great base of coaching, especially offensive-minded coaches, to where he’s now taken it up there, and obviously it’s working for Kirk. That’s the key thing.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/13/john-elway-it-was-nip-and-tuck-between-kevin-oconnell-and-nathaniel-hackett-for-broncos-coach/

who got hired first, OC or Hackett? as in, did the Broncos hire Hackett only after they lost the chance to hire OC, or was it a case of drafting Ryan Leaf before Peyton Manning?

Edited by vike daddy