Jeff Okudah Update

Just Want A Title

5 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Quite likely. Interesting the Lions had a number of people at KT’s pro day.

I think it's telling that he's in consideration. That pro day either made or break whether KT will be a future Lion IMO. Getting that many eyes on his workouts but also (and more importantly) his personal interactions and body language is super important. With all the questions about him despite the obvious talent, you need to know if you're going to take or bypass the next Myles Garrett or Jadaveon Clowney. If you skip over him and he hits, we've got Aaron Donald 2.0. If we take him and he busts, it's going to be another SOL. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

I think it's telling that he's in consideration. That pro day either made or break whether KT will be a future Lion IMO. Getting that many eyes on his workouts but also (and more importantly) his personal interactions and body language is super important. With all the questions about him despite the obvious talent, you need to know if you're going to take or bypass the next Myles Garrett or Jadaveon Clowney. If you skip over him and he hits, we've got Aaron Donald 2.0. If we take him and he busts, it's going to be another SOL. 

This year is a crap shoot it would seem. I keep hoping the Saints acquired higher picks to trade with the Lions. It won’t help but I need HOPE! 😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

This year is a crap shoot it would seem. I keep hoping the Saints acquired higher picks to trade with the Lions. It won’t help but I need HOPE! 😎

I personally think the Saints are gearing up to trade up for a QB. 

1) Jags - I don't think they have the draft capital to come up to #1

2) Lions - Could be a trade partner and could also be a viable candidate to take QB1 (Probably Willis)

3) Texans - Need a ton of help but already have two picks in the top 15. They need good players at all positions. Could trade down here but I don't think they'd go too far. Not likely taking a QB (although they could)

4) Jets - Definitely could be a trade candidate but also need to surround Zach Wilson with good players. Also have pick #10. Not taking a QB.

5) Giants - Most likely not going to be taking a QB. Definitely could be a trade down target for a team wanting to move ahead of Carolina

6) Panthers - Absolutely in the mix for QB (possibly taking QB1). A lot of smoke around Kenny Pickett. If you want Willis, 

7) Giants - Most likely not going to be taking a QB. Definitely could be a trade down target for a team wanting to move ahead of Atlanta

8 ) Falcons - Could very easily take a QB but also a prime target to take a QBOTF to sit behind Mariota. 

If the Lions are cool trading down to 16 and 19, the Saints could make that trade before draft day knowing the Panthers don't have the ammo to trade up to #1 without severely hurting their future (likely would have to trade #6 + 2023 and 2024 1sts and a future 3rd). There's a lot of smoke around Pickett to the Panthers with the Rhule/Tepper is a Pitt alum. They probably sit and wait for KP to fall to them or take an OT.

If you can't guarantee that Houston won't take Willis to sit and develop at #3, then maybe a team considers moving up to #2 to secure their guy. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I personally think the Saints are gearing up to trade up for a QB. 

1) Jags - I don't think they have the draft capital to come up to #1

2) Lions - Could be a trade partner and could also be a viable candidate to take QB1 (Probably Willis)

3) Texans - Need a ton of help but already have two picks in the top 15. They need good players at all positions. Could trade down here but I don't think they'd go too far. Not likely taking a QB (although they could)

4) Jets - Definitely could be a trade candidate but also need to surround Zach Wilson with good players. Also have pick #10. Not taking a QB.

5) Giants - Most likely not going to be taking a QB. Definitely could be a trade down target for a team wanting to move ahead of Carolina

6) Panthers - Absolutely in the mix for QB (possibly taking QB1). A lot of smoke around Kenny Pickett. If you want Willis, 

7) Giants - Most likely not going to be taking a QB. Definitely could be a trade down target for a team wanting to move ahead of Atlanta

8 ) Falcons - Could very easily take a QB but also a prime target to take a QBOTF to sit behind Mariota. 

If the Lions are cool trading down to 16 and 19, the Saints could make that trade before draft day knowing the Panthers don't have the ammo to trade up to #1 without severely hurting their future (likely would have to trade #6 + 2023 and 2024 1sts and a future 3rd). There's a lot of smoke around Pickett to the Panthers with the Rhule/Tepper is a Pitt alum. They probably sit and wait for KP to fall to them or take an OT.

If you can't guarantee that Houston won't take Willis to sit and develop at #3, then maybe a team considers moving up to #2 to secure their guy. 

Dropping from the #2 pick to get picks 16 and 19 is a pretty steep drop in any year.  The Saints need a QB but they aren't a QB away from being a Super Bowl contender.  If they take a QB I think it is likely to be Kenny Pickett, Desmond Ridder or Sam Howell.

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

Dropping from the #2 pick to get picks 16 and 19 is a pretty steep drop in any year.  The Saints need a QB but they aren't a QB away from being a Super Bowl contender.  If they take a QB I think it is likely to be Kenny Pickett, Desmond Ridder or Sam Howell.

They do have Winston already on the roster so they aren't forced to start someone they draft. Willis is 22 while Pickett is 24. So they can draft Malik, sit him for a year and he'll still be 1 year younger than Pickett is now by the time he should be ready to compete for the starting job. If he has special qualities (at least from their evaluation) then he could solidify that position for them for quite some time. Trading up to #2 pretty much guarantees that you're going to get your guy if you want a QB. 

20 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The Vikings thought they were getting their guy with Christian Ponder.  If they are trading that far up for a QB, it would be a massive risk.  

The 49ers did it last year for Lance, the #3 QB in the draft.  3 first round picks plus to move up for him so its not as uncommon as people think.  Its always a risk but not having a QB on your team that you trust is as big of a risk or bigger. 

The Vikings didn't trade up for Ponder btw. 

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/story/_/id/31173355/all-29-s-nfl-teams-traded-draft-quarterback

9. Rams trade six picks to net Jared Goff (2016)
The trade: The Rams send their first-round pick (No. 15 overall), two second-round picks, a third-round pick, a first-round pick in 2017 and a third-round pick in 2017 to Tennessee for the Titans' first-round pick (No. 1 overall), a fourth-round pick and a sixth-round pick.

The skinny: The relationship between Goff and coach Sean McVay deteriorated during the 2020 season and after to the point he was shipped to Detroit in return for Matthew Stafford . Goff started all 69 games in which he played in Los Angeles and posted a 42-27 record. The Rams made the playoffs in three of Goff's five seasons, and he passed for 107 TDs with 55 interceptions.

• Like 1

Jared Goff is the real wild-card for the Lions.  If Jared Goff manages play at or near the level that he showed at the end of last year, the Lions don't need to consider taking a QB this year at all.  That said, I am still hoping they take Desmond Ridder if he is there at 34.  I suspect that the Lions believe Jared Goff will sustain a high level of play with Dan Campbell and Ben Johnson running the offense.

Edited by Just Want A Title
Forgot something

22 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Jared Goff is the real wild-card for the Lions.  If Jared Goff manages play at or near the level that he showed at the end of last year, the Lions don't need to consider taking a QB this year at all.  That said, I am still hoping they take Desmond Ridder if he is there at 34.  I suspect that the Lions believe Jared Goff will sustain a high level of play with Dan Campbell and Ben Johnson running the offense.

If you plan to take him at 34, you have to take him at 32 to get the extra "cheaper" year.  But also I do not think that I like him enough to spend that high of a pick.  If he is there at the end of the third, I would consider it as a backup with potential.  But these QBs feel like the Ponder/Locker/Gabbert or Manuel/Geno Smith draft more than the Watson/Mahomes draft.  

• Like 2

I would go BPA no matter what...even if that is taking someone like Muma, Chenal, Hall at 34 over any of the QBs...I think I would. Unless Willis was to drop to 34 then you have to think about it. But I still like the idea of building the team around the QB first and we have to keep Goff anyway. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NFL_Fan said:

I would go BPA no matter what...even if that is taking someone like Muma, Chenal, Hall at 34 over any of the QBs...I think I would. Unless Willis was to drop to 34 then you have to think about it. But I still like the idea of building the team around the QB first and we have to keep Goff anyway. 

I agree. They have enough draft capital to chase a QB next year if they want. They have so many needs they need to find quality players that can make an impact.