Dirk Koetter sticking around for 2018, Mike Smith and all assistant coaches too

bucsfan333

Not sure who I would like as the head coach or o coordinator, but the next head coach should bring in Former Bucs first rounder Trent Dilfer as a QB coach.... Trent has known Jameis since he was 16, and like Jameis  early in his career had the mental accumen for football Monday to Saturday, but it would fall completely by the wayside come Sunday. I think that him knowing Jameis and having a personal interest in him prior to his employment could be valued added

3 minutes ago, SappDaddyDance said:

Not sure who I would like as the head coach or o coordinator, but the next head coach should bring in Former Bucs first rounder Trent Dilfer as a QB coach.... Trent has known Jameis since he was 16, and like Jameis  early in his career had the mental accumen for football Monday to Saturday, but it would fall completely by the wayside come Sunday. I think that him knowing Jameis and having a personal interest in him prior to his employment could be valued added

I wouldn't be opposed to it as he does the coach the younger QB's up in the Elite 8.   But I think he has a good gig at ESPN and not sure he would leave that for a coaching job.

26 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

Awesome I am glad the Bucs know how to evaluate players I don't think anyone on the team has had 2 qb hits in a game except for McCoy.   

I was watching the whole game and didn't even notice he was playing lol..

They waited on Doug because nobody could move the ball while he was suspended. Why didn't we wait on Jacky? Nobody was doing jack squat there either.

I don't get it.

38 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

They waited on Doug because nobody could move the ball while he was suspended. Why didn't we wait on Jacky? Nobody was doing jack squat there either.

I don't get it.

No idea but these questionable decisions are what happens with bad FO's...   Kinda like getting rid of Bennett in FA although that was worse and it still bothers me lol

Its just adding to the pile of **** that was already created for The Bucs HC and GM.  I was questionable about Licht leaving but this seems to push over the top IMO.  Its not even a huge deal and Jak may not be good but we LITERALLY had no one else so it makes zero sense to let him go.  Has Daryll Tapp even played in any games yet?

40 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I don't get it.

I think Smith played like 3 snaps against the Giants and was cut.  I thought it was a very curious move at the time.  First, not to put him on PUP to start the season, he makes the initial 53 man roster which I'm pretty sure guarantees his salary for the year, then cut him.  After they cut Smith, they bring in Houston who they choose not to sign now is playing for the Texans and has a sack in 3 games.  Is this strictly a Licht call on the roster?  Is Smith and his staff making the calls on who they feel should be on the roster?  Considering Smith is apparently paid like a second head coach, I would assume his opinion carries a lot of weight.

As far as the running game, it actually wasn't too bad when Doug was out.  They ran for over 100 yards against the Bears.  Ironically, the last time Barber was actually playing.  Minny had nothing.  I think Rodgers ran for close to 80 yards against the Giants.  For whatever reason, Koetter has this strong allegiance to having Doug and Sims as his top 2 RB.  Just the overall personnel decisions on both sides of the ball is very perplexing. 

46 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

For whatever reason, Koetter has this strong allegiance to having Doug and Sims as his top 2 RB.  Just the overall personnel decisions on both sides of the ball is very perplexing. 

He remembers what they did like 74 years ago and refuses to believe that it won't happen again.

The more I think about this, the more I think it’s down to bad leadership amongst our players and to a bad culture within our organisation.

The latter is the fault of the HC and GM and they both need to take responsibility for that. It pains me to say it because I like Koetter, but he doesn’t seem able to effectively establish the correct culture in a locker room. I thought he had it the second half of last season, but this season proves he didn’t.

I think Koetter and Smith are good coaches, but are suffering from players who either haven’t bought in or who aren’t good enough. That’s only part of it though - the coaching staff needs to help set the tone in the organisation. That just hasn’t happened.

For example, I think Evans should have been pulled from that game after his conduct on Sunday.

You look at Jacksonville deactivating Fournette this past week for missing a team photo and it appears that they have a culture of accountability in the organisation. On the other hand, we held out to welcome back Doug Martin, despite his suspension and evident plack of commitment. To add insult to that, we bench Rodgers and now barely use him, despite him doing a solid job in Martin’s absence. What kind of message does that send to other guys on the roster? 

The players in leadership positions on this team don’t act like leaders. The coaching staff seems unwilling to hold everyone on the roster accountable to the same level. The GM, through his personnel decisions, appears to support this.

I don’t know how we go about a culture change without getting rid of a lot of the “big names” on the roster. It might just take that level if shake up to end the dysfunction.

1 hour ago, Buc Ball said:

The more I think about this, the more I think it’s down to bad leadership amongst our players and to a bad culture within our organisation.

The latter is the fault of the HC and GM and they both need to take responsibility for that. It pains me to say it because I like Koetter, but he doesn’t seem able to effectively establish the correct culture in a locker room. I thought he had it the second half of last season, but this season proves he didn’t.

I think Koetter and Smith are good coaches, but are suffering from players who either haven’t bought in or who aren’t good enough. That’s only part of it though - the coaching staff needs to help set the tone in the organisation. That just hasn’t happened.

For example, I think Evans should have been pulled from that game after his conduct on Sunday.

You look at Jacksonville deactivating Fournette this past week for missing a team photo and it appears that they have a culture of accountability in the organisation. On the other hand, we held out to welcome back Doug Martin, despite his suspension and evident plack of commitment. To add insult to that, we bench Rodgers and now barely use him, despite him doing a solid job in Martin’s absence. What kind of message does that send to other guys on the roster? 

The players in leadership positions on this team don’t act like leaders. The coaching staff seems unwilling to hold everyone on the roster accountable to the same level. The GM, through his personnel decisions, appears to support this.

I don’t know how we go about a culture change without getting rid of a lot of the “big names” on the roster. It might just take that level if shake up to end the dysfunction.

Very well written and Koetter wasn't the disciplinarian at HC that was needed.   Let's face it, there just isn't that Sapp type voice in the locker room, it has to come from the coaching staff.  How the heck is there co starters at LG, when quite frankly the line hasn't been great.  The blinding loyalty for the LT, who didn't need to compete for his job since the day he was drafted.   The safety rotation is laughable.   And nothing adds humor to any conversation more then Bucs FG kickers.

The Glazers need to evaluate how they run thir organization.   Since Malcolm s health failed, pretty much it has been one awful decision after another.  IMO, they need to hire a President with a track record of proven success.  The next hot GM candidate they have now failed at the last 2 times.

7 hours ago, indifference said:

Bad coaching. Mike Smith is gone because he does make questionable personnel decisions. That and the fact that we stunt way too often and they never work. Granted we have a personnel issue but the defense just makes way too many mistakes for my taste. We were the #1 rated third down defense last year but now were last. Nothing has changed except the schedule and a couple of players on the back end. Either way, unless a dominant 8 week stretch is in the cards he is as good as gone.

DK has that 9-7 to fall back on. Him losing control of the team probably has something to do with his buddy buddy persona with the players. I think it all boils down to the new GM.

Ahhh, you don't know buddy-buddy until you've tried this defensive master-mind, and shameless promoter of all his players! 

You get a year or two of early success, while he whoops and howls about how awesome his players are; then a complete implosion.

BUT! If you act now, we'll throw in his twin brother, a second defensive genius, FREE! That's two great coaches for the price of one!

Image result for Rex Ryan

7 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Very well written and Koetter wasn't the disciplinarian at HC that was needed.   Let's face it, there just isn't that Sapp type voice in the locker room, it has to come from the coaching staff.  How the heck is there co starters at LG, when quite frankly the line hasn't been great.  The blinding loyalty for the LT, who didn't need to compete for his job since the day he was drafted.   The safety rotation is laughable.   And nothing adds humor to any conversation more then Bucs FG kickers.

The Glazers need to evaluate how they run thir organization.   Since Malcolm s health failed, pretty much it has been one awful decision after another.  IMO, they need to hire a President with a track record of proven success.  The next hot GM candidate they have now failed at the last 2 times.

I don’t even think Koetter needs to be a disciplinarian, he just needs to establish a culture of accountability. That’s why I respect Schiano. He had that as a fundamental principle and, whilst going to far in some ways, stuck to it.

Licht’s judgement hasn’t been good when it comes to players. I’ve mentioned Martin, but we’ve also got the kicker battle this offseason. After Aguayo went 3/7 and Folk 4/7, Licht said he’d trust Folk in a game, despite being awful in practice. We all know how that turned out. An isolated incident perhaps, but it could be indicative of generally poor judgement.

I agree that we need someone between the Glazers and the GM. The Glazers running things now, for all their good intentions and investment in the team, don’t have a track record of making good decisions HC/GM decisions. 

Who that might be is anyone’s guess. You think Parcells has had enough of the Browns yet?

I liked Schiano. I loved his no nonsense approach. And he demanded accountability. But, like you said, he took it a little too far.

It also didn't help that we had a weak QB and piss poor secondary. Because if we were winning, nobody would have really cared that Schiano was a bit of a Richard.

18 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I liked Schiano. I loved his no nonsense approach. And he demanded accountability. But, like you said, he took it a little too far.

It also didn't help that we had a weak QB and piss poor secondary. Because if we were winning, nobody would have really cared that Schiano was a bit of a Richard.

Absolutely. Schiano went too far with a few things and took it to extremes. I respect the underlying principles of his approach and the fact he stuck to them, but it just wasn’t suited to a professional team. 

That was about it. We all remember forcing ourselves to watch Schiano ball.

26 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Absolutely. Schiano went too far with a few things and took it to extremes. I respect the underlying principles of his approach and the fact he stuck to them, but it just wasn’t suited to a professional team. 

That was about it. We all remember forcing ourselves to watch Schiano ball.

I remember diving at the Giants when they were kneeling and pissing off Coughlin. That's probably what I remember most. That, and Biggers "jamming" Julio and letting him run (untouched) in a straight line for an 80 yard TD.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

Yeah I did like schiano but at the same time, like every other staff, didn't do a good job evaluating qbs. Mike glennon would be our franchise if he stuck around. Then again the next year we went with mccown. 

We definitely need someone in between the glazers and the front office to oversee the hiring process. Licht is as good as gone. 

And I agree. Koetter screwed the pooch there. He should have sent both Jameis and Evans to the lockeroom after that incident Sunday and suspended them both next week before the NFL did anything to mike Evans. That's not holding your players accountable. 

And mike smith: agree. Hargreaves had been playing better. Why demote him? Ryan smith was playing better. Why bring mcclain in? Maybe the staff and GM knows the jig is up and don't care? I'm not sure but this is sad  and disgusting to watch grown millionaires just collect a check and quit. 

I have been biased about having an offensive minded coach to lead the next regime.  @bucsfan333 and @indifference have brought up defensive candidates.  I was curious to see how bad the defense has been since Monte left.  The best scoring defense since then was Rah s 2nd year when they finished 8th.  Mike Smith s defense last season 14th.    This season well 25th.

Certainly an argument can be made if a team isn't in the top half in scoring defense, the ability to win consistently will be difficult.  So I have to bring up Matt Patricia as a viable candidate.   Certainly, the hoodie assistants outside of OBrien haven't had great success.  The Pats haven't been as good on defense this season, but are still 16tn right now.  I would not be surprised to see them top 10 by the end of the year.   Of course,  over that time frame I reviewed the Pats were constantly top 10 in scoring defense.

We all have written how the team can  get rid of this stench of losing from the team.   Patricia certainly has the pedigree and track record to get the attention of the players I would hope.  It certainly looks like Patricia has head coaching aspirations because he interviewed for the Rams and Chargers last season apparently.   Just food for thought.  

Archived