Dirk Koetter sticking around for 2018, Mike Smith and all assistant coaches too

bucsfan333

12 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I liked it at the time. The dichotomy of Koetter and Smitty seemed like one that would work. They knew each other well AND each guy showed success on their sides of the ball. Giving Smitty total control of the defense cut Koetter's responsibilities in half, allowing him to focus on the offense. A lot. And it made him calling plays not seem like it would be too much.

It all made sense to me. It just didn't work.

The problem for Koetter is when the team got to the point of it not working, Koetter did not adjust.  I think he would have a better chance to save his job if he gave up play calling to dedicate more time to all 3 phases of the team.  Let s face it, special teams outside the punter and kicker have been brutal.  All those penalties and 2 blocked punts.

He just seemed comfortable being the head coach of the offense which I feel will be the ultimate reason he gets fired.

A lot of us now seem to want a guy that specializes on one side of the ball. I'm all for finding an offensive or defensive guy if he can bring someone in to take over the other side.

But I agree, Koetter's lack of (or refusal to?) adjusting is what (should) cost him his job. You can't look at a four win team and continue to say that you trust the process. Explosives can't be the main focus of our offense every week when our offense struggles to score more than 24 points consistently. Turnovers can't continue to be the focus of our defense when we're giving up 30 points per game. Things should have changed; probably during the offseason. But here we are, locked into a top 10 pick.

10 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

A lot of us now seem to want a guy that specializes on one side of the ball. I'm all for finding an offensive or defensive guy if he can bring someone in to take over the other side.

But I agree, Koetter's lack of (or refusal to?) adjusting is what (should) cost him his job. You can't look at a four win team and continue to say that you trust the process. Explosives can't be the main focus of our offense every week when our offense struggles to score more than 24 points consistently. Turnovers can't continue to be the focus of our defense when we're giving up 30 points per game. Things should have changed; probably during the offseason. But here we are, locked into a top 10 pick.

This refusal to change is,the hallmark of his entire staff.  The Mike Smith defense known as one of the easiest because players are always,in the same position.  The RB situation.  LG platoon.  Lack of Godwin reps so Humphreys and Martino can get reps.

Koetter really has gone down the same path as Lovie, but on the offensive side of the ball.  Only this time, there is no reason to salvage the other side of the ball the head coach is not over seeing directly.

Saw that earlier. Didn't know we had Licht for one more year. Gotta assume he sticks around.

And, yeah. If he's involved with the coaching search (which he would be if we keep him around) the Pats' coordinators have to be near the top of the list.

17 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I had no idea there was a Koetter-Lewis connection.

Unless Marvin wants to be DC, which I highly doubt, I see no role in Tampa.  If Koetter survives, I would guess at least 4 assistants let go.  Of course, if that much of the staff has to be replaced after 2 years because of no promotions to the staff, how much confidence in Koetter to choose more wisely?

23 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Unless Marvin wants to be DC, which I highly doubt, I see no role in Tampa.  If Koetter survives, I would guess at least 4 assistants let go.  Of course, if that much of the staff has to be replaced after 2 years because of no promotions to the staff, how much confidence in Koetter to choose more wisely?

I think a front office role would be the hope.

26 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

He also wanted Lovie to stick around, so...

Yeah I mean if koetter can adjust and make some moves on the staff, I'm ok with him returning. I think Jason licht did a poor job addressing the pass rush. This might be the worst DLINE I've ever seen since I started watching football. 

34 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

He also wanted Lovie to stick around, so...

Yeah, this will be a Glazer decision, and yes right or wrong  I think they are pursuing Gruden.  I believe they will be tempted by the success of his coaching tree is having right now.  He has shown how to put together a staff.  It s there call, my opinion doesnt matter.  I just want to see meaningful Bucs games in December again.

I know people in the media are stating Jason licht led the search that ultimately hired Dirk Koetter. That to me is just bogus. The glazers had a hand and more than likely said "interview other candidates you may have, but Koetter is the man for the job Bc of Jameis". The glazers wanted to keep koetter Bc teams were after him. Licht never picked koetter. 

As long as the Glazers are making the calls, I don't trust they will ever pick the right coach. 

I think they need to give that responsibility to someone like Jason Licht or a new football ops guy or GM. 

Agreed. The Glazers have the most influence with the head coaching decision. Its never been up to the GM and we definitely need somebody with a football mind inside OBP to make thse type of decisions. DK isn't a horrible head coach but if he wants to keep his job he will have to make decisions. Fire his good friend Mike Smith and bring in a whole different defensive staff. The Bucs didn't quit on DK which is a sign that team believes in him. I'm OK with keeping him for a year. Licht has to be gone though.

Archived