Devils 2022 MLB Draft Thread/College Baseball Thread(Mock Draft 3/Draft Sunday MLB Network 7e)

devils1854

5 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Definitely the biggest snub I see.  I guess they HAD to find room for Ole Miss to be the 9th SEC team, despite them being 14-16 in conference play.  Or they HAD to get juggernaut Grand Canyon in there to be the 2nd team from the prestigous WAC.  The cold weather Big 10 isn't filled with baseball powerhouses, but they certainly could reward those schools a bit more.

Yeah, I don't get it. I know that New Mexico State stole a bid but Ole Miss doesn't belong this year IMO. If you were going to leave Rutgers out, it should've been for NC State. 

And, yeah, Grand Canyon getting an at-large bid over Rutgers is hilarious.

Edited by beekay414

BK's NCAA Regionals/Super Regionals Predictions

Regionals
Knoxville - Tennessee
Statesboro - Notre Dame
Greenville - Virginia
Austin - Texas
College Station - Texas A&M
Louisville - Louisville
Blacksburg - Wright State (lol kidding, it'll be Va Tech)
Gainesville - Florida
Stanford - Stanford
College Park - Maryland
Stillwater - Arkansas
Chapel Hill - North Carolina
Coral Gables - Arizona
Hattiesburg - LSU
Corvallis - Oregon State
Auburn - Auburn

Super Regionals
Tennessee over Notre Dame, 2-0
Texas over Virginia, 2-1
Louisville over Texas A&M, 2-1
Virginia Tech over Florida, 2-0
Maryland over Stanford, 2-1
North Carolina over Arkansas, 2-0
LSU over Arizona, 2-1
Oregon State over Auburn, 2-1

On 5/16/2022 at 4:50 PM, hrubes20 said:

Their recent history is only college pitchers and high school hitters in the 1st.  I'm gonna go with Carson Whisenhunt, unless the Delvin Perez experience has soured them on guys that tested for a banned substance.

I think Delvin Perez was a situation where they couldn't pass on a guy that was viewed as a consensus top 10 prospect prior to testing positive for banned substances.  I don't fault them for making that gamble even if it didn't work out for the Cardinals.  The Cardinals have preferred their prospects on the younger side of the spectrum I believe.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:58 PM, CWood21 said:

I think Delvin Perez was a situation where they couldn't pass on a guy that was viewed as a consensus top 10 prospect prior to testing positive for banned substances.  I don't fault them for making that gamble even if it didn't work out for the Cardinals.  The Cardinals have preferred their prospects on the younger side of the spectrum I believe.

That could be true if they go the prep route.  It's literally 50/50 collegiate pitcher or prep hitter for them in the past 5-6 years.  It's a really good year for prep bats and a horrific year for collegiate pitching.  Probably makes more sense to project them going the prep route.

On 6/9/2022 at 11:34 AM, hrubes20 said:

That could be true if they go the prep route.  It's literally 50/50 collegiate pitcher or prep hitter for them in the past 5-6 years.  It's a really good year for prep bats and a horrific year for collegiate pitching.  Probably makes more sense to project them going the prep route.

I believe it applies to their college pitchers too.  Michael McGreevy turned 21 years old a few days before the draft.  Jordan Walker turned 18 years old a few weeks before the draft.  Zack Thompson turned 22 about four months after the draft.  Nolan Gorman turned 18 years old a month before the draft.  Griffin Roberts turned 22 years old a week after the draft.  Delvin Perez turned 18 about 6 months after the draft.  Dylan Carlson turned 18 years old about four months after the draft.  Not sure how that compares to the classes as a whole.  Just looking at MLB.com's list, Cam Collier would fit the bill.

On 6/11/2022 at 5:28 PM, CWood21 said:

I believe it applies to their college pitchers too.  Michael McGreevy turned 21 years old a few days before the draft.  Jordan Walker turned 18 years old a few weeks before the draft.  Zack Thompson turned 22 about four months after the draft.  Nolan Gorman turned 18 years old a month before the draft.  Griffin Roberts turned 22 years old a week after the draft.  Delvin Perez turned 18 about 6 months after the draft.  Dylan Carlson turned 18 years old about four months after the draft.  Not sure how that compares to the classes as a whole.  Just looking at MLB.com's list, Cam Collier would fit the bill.

Absent several underslot shenanigans, Collier isn't making it out of the top 10.  Maybe even the top 5.  He hit extremely well as a 17 year old in JuCo ball and has decided to play in the Cape Cod League this summer before the draft.  I don't remember a 17 year old ever playing there before.  I'm a huge fan of his, but I don't even think the Cubs will have a chance at him at 7.  

Right now, my top 10 would be:

1.  Druw Jones

2.  Brooks Lee

3.  Termarr Johnson

4.  Cam Collier

5.  Jackson Holliday

6.  Kevin Parada

7.  Elijah Green (A guy I really trust has said he's seen him 3 times and the swing and miss potential is huge, but so is the rest of the package)

8.  Jace Jung

9.  Justin Crawford

10.  Zach Neto

Jacob Berry is down on my list due to not hitting at a high level in conference play and having little to no defensive value.  I would have had Dylan Lesko in the 4-5 range if he would have stayed healthy.  

4 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Absent several underslot shenanigans, Collier isn't making it out of the top 10.  Maybe even the top 5.  He hit extremely well as a 17 year old in JuCo ball and has decided to play in the Cape Cod League this summer before the draft.  I don't remember a 17 year old ever playing there before.  I'm a huge fan of his, but I don't even think the Cubs will have a chance at him at 7.  

LIS, I just was going off MLB.com's list.  Have not followed the draft in the slightest, and probably won't.  Will be relying on you guys.

1. Baltimore - Jackson Holliday | SS | Stillwater (OK)
2. Arizona - Druw Jones | OF | Wesleyan (GA)
3. Texas - Kevin Parada | C | Georgia Tech
4. Pittsburgh - Brooks Lee | SS | Cal Poly
5. Washingon - Termarr Johnson | 2B | Mays (GA)
6. Miami - Cam Collier | 3B | Chipola JC
7. Chicago Cubs - Jace Jung | 2B | Texas Tech
8. Minnesota - Gavin Cross | OF | Virginia Tech
9. Kansas City - Elijah Green | OF | IMG Academy (FL)
10. Colorado - Jacob Berry | 1B/OF | LSU
11. NY Mets - Justin Crawford | OF | Bishop Gorman (NV)
12. Detroit - Daniel Susac | C | Arizona
13. LA Angels - Brock Porter | RHP | Orchard Lake St. Mary's (MI)
14. NY Mets - Dylan Lesko | RHP | Buford (GA)
15. San Diego - Brandon Barriera | LHP | American Heritage (FL)
16. Cleveland - Zach Neto | SS | Campbell
17. Philadelphia - Robby Snelling | LHP | McQueen (NV)
18. Cincinnati - Chase DeLauter | OF | James Madison
19. Oakland - Brock Jones | OF | Stanford
20. Atlanta - Connor Prielipp | LHP | Alabama
21. Seattle - Blade Tidwell | RHP | Tennessee
22. St. Louis - Cole Young | SS | North Allegheny (PA)
23. Toronto - Kumar Rocker | RHP | Tri-City ValleyCats (IND)
24. Boston - Dylan Beavers | OF | California
25. NY Yankees - Jett Williams | SS | Rockwall-Heath (TX) 
26. Chicago White Sox - Jackson Ferris | LHP | IMG Academy (FL)
27. Milwaukee - Gabriel Hughes | RHP | Gonzaga
28. Houston - Justin Campbell | RHP | Oklahoma State
29. Tampa Bay - Jordan Beck | OF | Tennessee
30. San Francisco - Cooper Hjerpe | LHP | Oregon State

That wasn't easy to do lol. Wasn't sure what to do with Elijah Green. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

22. St. Louis - Cole Young | SS | North Allegheny (PA)

Feel like this would be kinda against the Cardinals' history here.  They've preferred their HS prospects on the younger side, and he'll be 19 shortly after the draft.  And I know you don't draft for positions, but the Cardinals have Masyn Winn as their SS of the future and he's holding his own in AA.  The lack of tools makes this an underwhelming pick.

Nice Mock @beekay414

Not really a fan of Cole Young with the Cardinals pick. Just seems like a guy that doesn’t really have a high ceiling. I’ve heard the comparison to Adam Frazier and that just doesn’t excite me. Been kind of on the Tucker Toman bandwagon for a bit now. Seems to fit Flores’ strategy a bit more. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 12:38 PM, beekay414 said:

That wasn't easy to do lol. Wasn't sure what to do with Elijah Green. 

Easy.  Just give him to Chicago at 7 in this scenario.  Even with the questions about the swing and miss, that ceiling is "best player in baseball".  Floor is "never make it out of AA", but that's a good gamble to take for a fairly deep Chicago system.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Nice Mock @beekay414

Not really a fan of Cole Young with the Cardinals pick. Just seems like a guy that doesn’t really have a high ceiling. I’ve heard the comparison to Adam Frazier and that just doesn’t excite me. Been kind of on the Tucker Toman bandwagon for a bit now. Seems to fit Flores’ strategy a bit more. 

I originally posted it and had Landon Sims in that spot but forgot he had TJS so I did a quick edit and just bumped Young up from the Yankees pick. I think the other guy I considered was the LHP from East Carolina who's name I'm blanking on.