Devils 2022 MLB Draft Thread/College Baseball Thread(Mock Draft 3/Draft Sunday MLB Network 7e)

devils1854

Coming Soon

TOP 5 BY POSITION

C
Kevin Parada||C||Georgia Tech
Daniel Susac||C||Arizona
Hayden Dunhurst||C||Ole Miss
Ross Highfill||C||Madison Central, MS
Logan Tanner||C||Mississippi State

This seems to be a great year to grab a catcher in the draft. Both Parada and Susac are potential top 10 guys, although both have questions about sticking behind the dish. Dunhurst of Ole Miss might be the best defensive catcher to come out in a couple years. His hitting needs to continue to improve. Im not sure if he will have any functional power in the majors. Logan Tanner needs to swing and miss less, and Im not sold on him hitting for any average at the next level. There is a number of high school catchers that we could see go from around 30-100. We might see one break out from the pack this spring, but the pecking order will definitely come down to team preference.

1B
Jacob Berry||1B||LSU
Tyler Locklear||1B||VCU
Spencer Jones||1B||Vanderbilt
Ethan Long||1B||Arizona State
Nolan Schubart||1B||Orchard Lake St Marys, MI

Offense is the calling card for this years crop of first basemen. You wont see "great defender" next to these guys names. Berry and Locklear stand out from the group not only for potential plus plus power but both could possibly have hit tools that could see them as starting first basemen in the majors. Spencer Jones was once talked about in the first 10 picks in the 2019 draft. An agreement was not made with a team, and it saw Spencer head to Vanderbilt. So far, his college career has been unimpressive. It looks as if he has given up pitching because of arm issues, and at 6'7 and limited athleticism, he looks to be stuck at first, but if he continues his early season success, he could be one that rises up draft boards.

2B
Termarr Johnson||2B||Mays, GA
Jace Jung||2B||Texas Tech
Robert Moore||2B||Arkansas
Gavin Kilen||2B||Milton, WI
Josh Kasevich||2B||Oregon

This second base crop is one of the more solid ones in recent drafts with as many as four possible players with first round grades right now. At the top, you have Termarr Johnson, possibly the #1 overall pick with his potential plus hit and plus power. I have Jung at second but it is very possible that a team will try him at third. His offense profiles but he will need a lot of work defensively if he wants more than a short look at the corner. The only high school kid I have in the rankings is Gavin Kilen of Wisconsin. He doesnt turn 18 for another month. Right now he is strictly a contact hitter, and it looks like it could be a plus tool. He is small, so power is pretty limited right now.

3B
Cam Collier||3B||Chipola JC
Cade Doughty||3B||LSU
Jayson Jones||3B||Braswell, GA
Peyton Graham||3B||Oklahoma
Tucker Toman||3B||Hammond, SC

Cam Collier was one of the top 2023 high school prospects just a few months ago. Since then, he graduated high school early, enrolled at Chipola Junior College, and is getting ready for the 2022 draft. At 17 years old, he is OPSing 1.109 in 22 games so far this season. He should be shooting up draft boards with his physicality and power. Cade Doughty might be the best player in the country that no one talks about because of his teammates at LSU. Doughty isnt flashy with huge tools. He's grown into some power, but it might be average or above average.

SS
Brooks Lee||SS||Cal Poly
Zach Neto||SS||Campbell
Cole Young||SS||North Allegheny, PA
Carter Young||SS||Vanderbilt
Jackson Holliday||SS||Stillwater, OK

So far in 2022, Brooks Lee has come to the plate 38 times. He has walked 12 times and is yet to strike out. Lee knows the strike zone and has elite bat to ball skills. He hasnt hit for a lot of power yet, but he is a big, strong kid, so many think more power will come. Zach Neto's leg kick is a thing of beauty. It will definitely remind fans of sluggers of the past, but Neto gets away with it because of his quick hands and bat speed. He covers the plate well, and it helps to get him a little extra power. He has hit in season. He has hit in the Cape. I think its a 60 hit tool on a guy that is going to stick at short because of his arm and previously mentioned quick hands. 

CF
Elijah Green||CF||IMG Academy, FL
Druw Jones||CF||Weslyan, GA
Gavin Turley||CF||Hamilton, AZ
Justin Crawford||CF||Bishop Gorman, NV
Jud Fabian||CF||Florida

This high school crop of center fielders excites me. It goes deeper than just the four guys listed here, but this isnt the place for the other guys. Elijah Green is the best high school hitting prospect since Bryce Harper dominated JUCO ball at 17 back in 2010. I could see 70-power, 70-arm, 65-glove, 65-speed, 60-hit in his body. Druw Jones has seen his stock sky rocket the past few months because he is starting to fill out his 6'3 frame a little and that has caused his exit velos go up and the power to flash plus and maybe show glimpses of more. Druw is going to stick in center, and like his father, he could be the best in the game at the position one day. Im just not quite as high on his bat as others at this moment. Gavin Turley has the tools of a top five selection. Im comfortable putting plus on every single tool of his but his bat. There is enough concern in the hit tool that it could cause him to go much lower than his other tools suggest, and we could see him at Oregon State for three years. Justin Crawford is another guy with a famous dad(Carl Crawford), and much like his father, speed is a huge asset for him. Its comfortably plus plus and it helps give him a huge advantage in center, where he plays plus defense. The power is just not there yet, but Justin has a huge 6'3 frame and average power might not be out of the question.

COF
Brock Jones||COF||Stanford
Gavin Cross||COF||Virginia Tech
Chase DeLauter||COF||James Madison
Cayden Wallace||COF||Arkansas
Dylan Beavers||COF||California

There is a chance that both Brock Jones and Chase DeLauter play centerfield. I think its more likely Jones makes it in center. He's faster and more athletic. Jones also has a mediocre arm, so right field is out. DeLauter is just a big dude playing center in a small conference. He has the look of a right fielder. Cayden Wallace is also playing third at the moment for Arkansas, but its not going well defensively so far this year so its looking like right field will be his home. 

RHP
Dylan Lesko||RHP||Buford, GA
Brock Porter||RHP||Orchard Lakes St Marys, MI
Landon Sims||RHP||Mississippi State
Kumar Rocker||RHP||N/A
Ian Ritchie||RHP||Bainbridge, WA

There are some big question marks in the right handed pitching prospect pool. Both Peyton Pallette and Blade Tidwell were in my top five coming into the year, but Pallette is out with Tommy John and there is not current time table for Tidwell's return to Tennessee, so I have dropped both down. Also, we have the return of Kumar Rocker, and its all question marks about his health since he looks like a perennial all star when healthy but for most of 2021, he looked hittable, and if there are still question marks about his health entering the 2022 draft, then there is no guessing where he will be drafted. High schoolers are at my top two spots, and I could see both drafted very early. Lesko is the best looking right handed prep in the past few years. He has been up to 99 with an easy, effortless delivery that is easily repeatable. Throw in three offspeed pitches that all at least flash plus, and its hard to see him falling far in the draft, even with the stigma that right handed pitchers dont go early. Brock Porter is a cold weather arm from Michigan that has also hit 99 on radar guns. He also has an elite spin change up that is already plus, and can even be better. The breaking ball is where there is separation between the high schoolers. Porter doesnt quite have polish on his slider or curve, but the shape is good, so a third major league pitch looks like its in the arsenal. 

LHP
Brandon Barriera||LHP||American Heritage, FL
Jackson Ferris||LHP||IMG Academy, FL
Connor Prielipp||LHP||Alabama(INJ)
Tristan Smith||LHP||Boiling Springs, SC
Noah Schultz||LHP||Oswego East, IL

Much like right handed pitchers, I will start the left handed with the college injuries. Connor Prielipp is the major name here. Once thought the lefty could be in talk for #1 overall, but he was shut down after just one start in 2021, and lost the rest of the season and probably all of 2022, when he did not get surgery until last May. 35 superb college innings is all we have from him. Reggie Crawford of UCONN is the other major left handed injury. A true two way player for UCONN. He is also considered a 1B/DH prospect. He only pitched 7 relief innings for UCONN before showing up in the Cape throwing 100 last year. He continued to wow scouts for team USA, but he also went down with Tommy John in the fall, so there is even less known about Crawford. The left handed high school crop looks really strong with four guys in the top five and another couple that could sneak into the first round with great springs. 

Edited by devils1854
  • Like 1

TOP 75 PROSPECTS

1.Elijah Green||CF||IMG Academy, FL
2.Brooks Lee||SS||Cal Poly
3.Termarr Johnson||2B||Mays, GA
4.Dylan Lesko||RHP||Buford, GA
5.Cam Collier||3B||Chipola JC
6.Kevin Parada||C||Georgia Tech
7.Druw Jones||CF||Weslyan, GA
8.Brock Porter||RHP||Orchard Lakes St Marys, MI
9.Jace Jung||2B||Texas Tech
10.Landon Sims||RHP||Mississippi State

11.Brandon Barreira||LHP||American Heritage, FL
12.Brock Jones||COF||Stanford
13.Daniel Susac||C||Arizona
14.Jacob Berry||1B||LSU
15.Gavin Cross||COF||Virginia Tech
16.Jackson Ferris||LHP||IMG Academy, FL
17.Zach Neto||SS||Campbell
18.Chase DeLauter||COF||James Madison
19.Kumar Rocker||RHP||N/A
20.Connor Prielipp||LHP||Alabama(INJ)

21.Gavin Turley||CF||Hamilton, AZ
22.Tristan Smith||LHP||Boiling Springs, SC
23.Robert Moore||2B||Arkansas
24.Cayden Wallace||COF||Arkansas
25.Noah Schultz||LHP||Oswego East, IL
26.Cade Doughty||3B||LSU
27.Gavin Kilen||2B||Milton, WI
28.Ian Ritchie||RHP||Bainbridge, WA
29.Blade Tidwell||RHP||Tennessee(INJ)
30.Cole Young||SS||North Allegheny, PA 

31.Andrew Dutkanych||RHP||Brebeuf Jesuit Prep, IN
32.Jackson Humphries||LHP||Fuquay-Varina, NC
33.Justin Crawford||CF||Bishop Gorman, NV
34.Carter Young||SS||Vanderbilt
35.Hunter Barco||LHP||Florida
36.Peyton Pallette||RHP||Arkansas(INJ)
37.Hayden Dunhurst||C||Ole Miss
38.Ross Highfill||C||Madison Central, MS
39.Walter Ford||RHP/3B||Pace, FL
40.Logan Tanner||C||Mississippi State

41.Jud Fabian||CF||Florida
42.Levi Huesman||LHP||Hamover, VA
43.Jackson Holliday||SS||Stillwater, OK
44.Jayson Jones||3B||Braswell, GA
45.Mikey Romero||SS||Orange Lutheran, CA
46.Paxton Kling||CF||Central, PA
47.Dylan Beavers||COF||California
48.Peyton Graham||3B||Oklahoma
49.Gabriel Hughes||RHP||Gonzaga
50.Brady Neal||C||IMG Academy, FL

51.Brice Hubbart||LHP||Florida State
52.Clark Elliott||COF||Michigan
53.Eric Adler||RHP||Wake Forest
54.Tucker Toman||3B/2B||Hammond, SC
55.Cade Fisher||LHP||Northwest Whitfield, GA
56.Nazier Mule||RHP/SS||Passoac County Tech, NJ
57.Jordan Sprinkle||SS||UC Santa Barbara
58.Carson Whisenhunt||LHP||East Carolina
59.Fisher Ingersoll||SS||American Fork, UT
60.Jordan Beck||COF||Tennessee

61.Eric Brown||SS||Coastal Carolina
62.Jonathan Cannon||RHP||Georgia
63.Jared Jones||C||Walton, GA
64.Parker Messick||LHP||Florida State
65.Malcolm Moore||C||McClatchy, CA
66.Andrew Pintar||SS||BYU
67.Sal Stewart||3B||Westminster Christian, FL
68.Brandon Sproat||RHP||Florida
69.Chris Newell||CF||Virginia
70.Jaden Noot||RHP||Sierra Canyon, CA

71.Henry Bolte||COF||Palo Alto, CA
72.Tyler Locklear||1B||VCU
73.Reggie Crawford||LHP/1B||UCONN(INJ)
74.Josh Kasevich||2B||Oregon
75.Thomas Dilandri||CF||San Jacinto JC

Edited by devils1854
  • Like 1

MOCK DRAFT

1.Baltimore-Brooks Lee||SS||Cal Poly
-Between 2019 and 2020, the Baltimore FO selected five shortstops in the first five rounds and added another in the sixth last year. Add in the tendency to go the college underslot role, and I think Lee is the choice here at the moment.

2.Arizona-Elijah Green||CF||IMG Academy, FL
-Green has been the best prospect for his age for a few years now, and scouts are looking for knocks and he stuck out a little too much over the summer in 2021, so he has been falling in many rankings. I still see a kid that has 70 power, 70 speed, 60 defense in center, and 60 arm to go along with a possible 50 hit tool. I still think he is the best high school prospect in a decade and fits in with what Arizona looks for.

3.Texas-Termarr Johnson||2B||Mays, GA
-It seems like this Texas staff has a model and sticks with it because they have gone with both college and prep hitting and pitching early the past couple of drafts, and with that, Im giving them the best player on the board in Johnson. Some scouts are throwing a 70 hit tool at him, and will probably get the chance to play short with his athleticism and some help with shifts.

4.Pittsburgh-Jace Jung||2B||Texas Tech
-This Pittsburgh FO had the draft of their lives last year, grabbing five top 100 players, highlighted by an underslot Henry Davis at #1. Im going back to the college hitter route once again and giving them Jace Jung from Texas Tech. I have him listed as a 2B but he could also see time at 3rd and could form a nice core with Davis and Gonzalez.

5.Washington-Dylan Lesko||RHP||Buford, GA
-After going pitcher with their first pick for what seems a decade, the Nationals went the high school route in 2021 and selected Brady House. A guy like Druw Jones could be the play here to continue the trend, but Dylan Lesko could be the best high school right hander in a few years, and we already know this front office isnt scared away by high school right handers in the first. 

6.Miami-Druw Jones||CF||Weslyan, GA
-This pick seems like a no brainer to me. Jones, the son of Andruw Jones, is shooting up draft boards. Its a possible five tools, just like his father when he was a teenager. Right now I dont see the power potential that is causing him to rise, but the speed, defense, and arm are all plus.

7.CHI Cubs-Chase DeLauter||COF||James Madison
-With their new GM coming from Cleveland, the question can be asked if their new draft strategy will mirror that of the Guardians. If so, we could see pitching and up the middle position players. I dont see a player available here that would fit the bill currently, so I went with Chase DeLauter of James Madison. He was the best prospect in the Cape last year, after a great, shortened 2021 season. He could potentially play center, but I think he is a prototypical big power right fielder, and might be the top prospect available here.

8.Minnesota-Jacob Berry||1B||LSU
-I am not a proponent of selecting a first baseman this early, but Jacob Berry's power potential has to excite the Twins. This is the organization that took Aaron Sabato two years ago and had no problems drafting potential positionless hitters early with past selections of Alex Kiriloff and Trevor Larnach. LSU already has a potential 2023 first round selection currently at first and another potential early selection in 2022 at third, so Berry will see some time in the outfield, but it definitely looks like he will be playing a below league average first in the future(or a DH).

9.Kansas City-Landon Sims||RHP||Mississippi State
-Dayton Moore has gone pitcher in the first in three of the past four years, and surprised many in selecting two high school arms with his first two picks last year. This could be the spot we see the first college arm come off the board. Sims was a lights out closer for the Bulldogs last year and he shows a plus fastball and a plus slider. If he can go longer in games and start to develop a change up, then we could see him even earlier come July.

10.Colorado-Cam Collier||3B||Chipola JC
-Cam Collier turned 17 just three months ago, yet he is playing JUCO baseball in Florida this spring. Once a top high school prospect for the 2023 class, he reclassified this year and will be eligible for the draft after one season at Chipola. After 16 games, he is OPSing over 1.000 in 2022 in one of the better junior college leagues in the country. His age and tools should excite the Rockies draft model, which has landed them Zac Veen,  Drew Romo, and Benny Montgomery in the past two drafts.

11.NY Mets-Brock Porter||RHP||Orchard Lakes St Marys, MI
-Im not sure where to go with the Mets. Its an organization with a new GM and a relatively new owner. This is also the organization that went all in on going overslot with Kumar Rocker last year and failed to sign him, so it looks like the draft could be a huge bust. There is a long list of potential college hitter to turn to here, but one will be available at pick #14, so I decided to go with the high school right arm. Porter has a potential four pitch mix, headlined by a potential 70 fastball. He will be hurt on some draft boards because he will turn 19 a month before the draft.

12.Detroit-Brock Jones||COF||Stanford
-Even after going the high school pitching route in 2021, I still see this Tigers organization as one that loves high level college players, and they should have a great choice here. Jones came to Stanford a two way player, but gave up football after just one season. He already has a very exciting speed/power combo, and if he continues to improve his game from just being able to focus on baseball, then Jones could be an all star level player.

13.LA Angels-Brandon Barreira||LHP||American Heritage, FL
-The Angels famously took 20 pitchers in 20 rounds in the 2021 draft. This is an organization that is desperately trying to develop pitching talent to go along with Trout and Ohtani, and I think that will probably be their goal again in 2022 since Arte Moreno pretty much runs every aspect of the team. Barriea is the top pitching prospect available at the spot. If he were two inches taller, then he wouldnt be available at this spot because he is an analytic dream. Id rather go with a college pitcher here, but with preseason injuries, I dont see the value yet.

14.NY Mets-Kevin Parada||C||Georgia Tech
-The Mets could go a number of ways here, but I am giving them my top rated player left in Kevin Parada. I see a guy that has a plus, plus plus?, hit tool to go along with a possible 55 power. The question is his ability to stay at catcher. He could be a hit first left fielder, but his value is going to be tied to staying at catcher. He is athletic and I like his body, so I tend to think he will be able to stick there and be serviceable for his valuable years, and his hitting ability will carry him.

15.San Diego-Gavin Turley||CF||Hamilton, AZ
-We pretty much know that the Padres will choose from the high school ranks with their first pick and I think they will select another hitter. Turley is rising up draft boards because of his enticing tools. The power is comparable to Elijah Green. The speed is comparable to Elijah Green. The center field defense is comparable to Elijah Green. The hit concerns are comparable to Elijah Green. Turley hasnt always shown up against elite talent so he is not considered on the level of Green, but the tools to be an elite major league player are there, and an organization like San Diego should think they could unlock his true potential. 

16.Cleveland-Jackson Ferris||LHP||IMG Academy, FL
-We are at a spot where we could start to see a number of high school pitchers talked about, and the Cleveland draft strategy has been pitcher heavy early and often, it seems like a good spot for them to take the best available. Ferris has flashed the pitches that could see him drafted in the top ten, but consistency has been the issue and his unorthodox delivery might need to be modified to try to bring the control to an acceptable level. This is the type of guy that could get into the Cleveland system and blossom under one of the best developmental staffs in the majors.

17.Philadelphia-Gavin Cross||COF||Virginia Tech
-The Phillies have a pretty big need for an outfielder and although you dont draft for need in the MLB draft, Cross is a guy that could move fast through the system and be an impact player sooner than later. Offensively, he is not too much unlike the Phillies second round pick in 2021, Ethan Wilson from South Alabama, but Cross should be able to play a pretty good right field and maybe center in a pinch.

18.Cincinnati-Daniel Susac||C||Arizona
-Susac should not be available here, but someone always slips, and its a pleasant surprise for the Reds. Susac is a very large individual at 6'4 but the organization did a great job developing another 6'4 catcher in Tyler Stephenson, so his size shouldnt scare them away. He is also pretty athletic, so he could possibly see some time in the outfield, which would be a major plus to the Reds, and he should have plenty of bat if he were to move to the outfield.

19.Oakland-Robert Moore||2B||Arkansas
-I have liked the A's recent strategy of taking high school bats with their first picks. Their system needs a huge talent boost. Robert Moore isnt a high school bat, but he is still a month away from his 20th birthday, so he is very model friendly. He has played second while at Arkansas, but a team might want to try him at short, or even in center, and he would also be the third straight middle of the diamond first round pick for Oakland.

20.Atlanta-Connor Prielipp||LHP||Alabama(INJ)
-21 innings is all we have on Connor Prielipp. Thats what he threw in 2020 before the pandemic. It was an electric 21 innings. 35 Ks and no runs, but Connor injured himself during his first start of 2021 and opted for Tommy John after a couple months, meaning he is probably out for all of 2021, but will hopefully be back for summer ball before the draft. He has two potential plus plus pitches from the left side and would assuredly be among the names for the #1 pick if he did not get injured. This is about the spot where we should start to see the injured pitchers start to come off the board.

21.Seattle-Kumar Rocker||RHP||N/A
Right now we dont have enough information to know where to expect Rocker to be picked. If he is able to come back and play in the draft league or another independent league and he shows the pitcher that was dominant as a freshman or sophomore, then there is a good chance he is the first college pitcher off the board. If he doesnt pitch before the draft, or if he isnt the dominant guy, then I would still expect someone in the 20s to take a shot to see if they can bring back the dominant pitcher. Seattle is intriguing to me. They have been known to draft college pitchers early and often and Emerson Hancock had a few injury question marks and they still selected him with the sixth pick of the 2020 draft. If their doctors give the go ahead, he could be their pick.

22.St Louis-Cole Young||SS||North Allegheny, PA
-The Cardinals have done a great job identifying high school hitting talent that have been passed over, and Young could be next in line. He is a little older than the picks the past couple years, and he will be turning 19 about a month after the draft, so Im not sure if that will go against their model. I think its the right pick at the moment since the other position group that we have seen then draft early, college pitcher, doesnt look to have a player that makes sense here.

23.Toronto-Hunter Barco||LHP||Florida
-Much like Gunnar Hoglund, Toronto's 2021 first pick, Hunter Barco was a very highly regarded high school prospect that somehow made his way to an SEC powerhouse. Much like Hoglund, Barco had a solid first two years at Florida, but probably not up to his standards, and he looks to be a second day pick heading into his draft eligible season. Hoglund was able to find another couple ticks in the fastball, and his pitchablility went to missing bats. If Barco can command his 95 mph fastball, along with a plus slider, he can slide into the first round with the number of pitchers currently injured.

24.Boston-Jackson Holliday||SS||Stillwater, OK
-The Red Sox have been through two drafts under Brian O'Halloran, and impact high school bats that fit their model have been selected early, so I can easily see them taking their third straight high school middle infielder in 2022. Holliday knows how to make hard contact with every at bat, and as he matures, he can go from a gap hitter to one that hits over 20 bombs a year.

25.NY Yankees-Blade Tidwell||RHP||Tennessee(INJ)
-After a solid freshman season in 2021, Tidwell really came onto draft radars with a solid summer and a fall that saw him touch 99 on the guns. A couple weeks before the 2022 season, Tidwell was shutdown with an undisclosed injury. We really arent sure when he will be back, or even if he will be back in 2022. If he is able to come back and show he is healthy, then there is a good chance he is taken in the first. If not, we could see him back in college for his third year.

26.CHI White Sox-Zach Neto||SS||Campbell
With the White Sox in win now mode and not as focused on supplying the big club with talent, they can go BPA, and I think that is a guy that fits the club, and could end up helping the team sooner than later, and that is Zach Neto. He is listed as a shortstop and I think he will have no problems sticking, but the White Sox have a hole at second and Neto could be the guy to bring above average production to that spot. 

27.Milwaukee-Logan Tanner||C||Mississippi State
-This Milwaukee system has not taken a high schooler before the 9th round since 2018, and they have done a good job developing their guys from the college ranks, so I dont see it really changing at this spot in the draft. Logan Tanner is a leader behind the plate and can help anchor a good staff. He's probably an average defender behind the plate, but he might have the best arm in the draft. Maybe a true 80. Offensively, he should put the ball over the fence a good bit, but he might not give much else with the bat.

28.Houston-Ian Ritchie||RHP||Bainbridge, WA
-Under new management and under sanctions since 2020, the Astros havent drafted higher than 72 in the past two years. In each of those drafts, they have gone overslot with a high school kid that might have slidden. They are back in the first round in 2022 and there is a great crop of high schoolers to choose from if they should go that direction. This is where Ian Ritchie comes in. Four pitches. Has touched 97 with the fastball, and has advanced feel and command for a high schooler.

29.Tampa Bay-Noah Schultz||LHP||Oswego East, IL
-Its hard taking a look at Noah Schultz and not think that the Rays would salivate at the chance to get him in their pitching program. There arent too many 6'9 guys in the majors. Most arent athletic enough to harness their stuff, but that is not a problem with Schultz. His body seems like more of a basketball player than pitcher, which has helped him on the mound. Throwing the ball, he comes from a low 3/4 release that is hard to pick up by lefty's at the plate. Currently, he only sits around 89-92 but one would think that a few more ticks can be found in that body.

30.LA Dodgers-Carter Young||SS||Vanderbilt
-Carter Young has developed above average power at the shortstop position and there is no reason to think that it should not translate to pro ball. That is, if he can make enough contact. He led college baseball in Ks last year, and that is not something that translates to pro ball(see Casey Martin). If there is a team that can fix a swing, its the Dodgers, and Young becomes very valuable if he no longer has a huge swing issue.

31.San Francisco-Cade Doughty||3B||LSU
Last year, the Giants took a pitcher in the first round for the first time since Phil Bickford in 2015. This year I have them heading back to the position player pool since Cade Doughty is available. Versatility is one of the big assets for Doughty. He can play 2nd, 3rd, short in a pinch, and potentially center field. Thats something that should be enticing to major league teams. He's grown into his body, so its not hard to think that he could add 20 home runs a year to his positional flexibility. 

Mocked the next 10 picks with Boston's compensation for Jud Fabian at 41.

32.Baltimore-Cayden Wallace||COF||Arkansas
33.Arizona-Mikey Romero||SS||Orange Lutheran, CA
34.Texas-Peyton Pallette||RHP||Arkansas(INJ)
35.Pittsburgh-Andrew Dutkanych||RHP||Brebeuf Jesuit Prep, IN
36.Washington-Jud Fabian||CF||Florida
37.Miami-Hayden Dunhurst||C||Ole Miss
38.CHI Cubs-Walter Ford||RHP||Pace, FL
39.Minnesota-Dylan Beavers||COF||California
40.Kansas City-Gabriel Hughes||RHP||Gonzaga
41.Boston-Gavin Kilen||2B||Milton, WI

Edited by devils1854
  • Like 1

My computer crapped out on Friday. I do have another one coming on Tuesday, so this will have to wait until then. Thankfully, I have my stuff backed up.

I will talk briefly about the two weeks we have had in the college season.

I think the biggest news is Tommy White. The freshman 1B from NC State. He has already hit 9 home runs in 8 games so far this year. He was not drafted last year. I had him just outside of my top 100. He had some of the best power numbers out of the high school ranks last year, but he is 6' and almost 250 pounds. He also hits and throws right handed. He doesnt have the value. I could see a Pete Alonso situation in a couple years where he is an advanced college bat and gets taken early second round.

Next I want to talk about one of my favorite players in the draft in Georgia Tech catcher Kevin Parada. He will be a draft eligible sophomore and he already has 5 bombs and is hitting just under .500 in 7 games. I think he has the best hitting tool of all the college players and teams will find a way to keep him behind the plate.

One of my favorite freshmen in college this year is Australian Travis Bazzana. He came to the left coast last summer before enrolling in Oregon State and led the West Coast Summer league with a .429 batting average. Its not the cape, but its amazing for someone that hasnt played at the college level, and so far in 2022, he is holding his own. I havent actually been able to catch a game so far this year, but he has a triple slash of .333/.455/.542. He has struck out a little more than I thought, but he is still a teenager in his first month as a college player. I think he has a chance to go really high in 2024. Also, I think Oregon State is the class out west and will be a very high national seed.

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, Dylan Crews is absolutely killing it for LSU.  .483/.615/.931 (yes, this is only slugging) in his first 8 games.  7:5 BB to K ratio.  I watched some LSU specifically for Jacob Berry, but Crews is the one that you can't help but gravitate towards.  

Edited by hrubes20
Spaced that Crews was a frosh last year.

Alex Sogard is going to friggin' ruin what Cooper, Lovelady and Mercer built at Wright State. Yes, we've played Georgia Tech and Oklahoma State but we blew two different 3+ run 9th inning leads and have given up 75 runs through 6 games (6th game, vs Oral Roberts, is still ongoing - They've scored 8 runs in 3 innings FFS). Dude has no idea how to manage a bullpen or even recruit pitching. They lost to Tennessee when they had them beat last NCAA regionals because Sogard mishandled the bullpen as well.

I was friggin' pissed when we promoted him to HC. Nothing good comes from having a Sogard on your team.

EDIT - Make it 79 runs allowed through 5 games and 6 innings lol.

Edited by beekay414

TOP 5 BY POSITION

C
Daniel Susac||C||Arizona

This seems to be a great year to grab a catcher in the draft. Both Parada and Susac are potential top 10 guys, although both have questions about sticking behind the dish. Dunhurst of Ole Miss might be the best defensive catcher to come out in a couple years. His hitting needs to continue to improve. Im not sure if he will have any functional power in the majors. Logan Tanner needs to swing and miss less, and Im not sold on him hitting for any average at the next level. There is a number of high school catchers that we could see go from around 30-100. We might see one break out from the pack this spring, but the pecking order will definitely come down to team preference.

1B
Jacob Berry||1B||LSU
Tyler Locklear||1B||VCU

Offense is the calling card for this years crop of first basemen. You wont see "great defender" next to these guys names. Berry and Locklear stand out from the group not only for potential plus plus power but both could possibly have hit tools that could see them as starting first basemen in the majors. Spencer Jones was once talked about in the first 10 picks in the 2019 draft. An agreement was not made with a team, and it saw Spencer head to Vanderbilt. So far, his college career has been unimpressive. It looks as if he has given up pitching because of arm issues, and at 6'7 and limited athleticism, he looks to be stuck at first, but if he continues his early season success, he could be one that rises up draft boards.

2B

This second base crop is one of the more solid ones in recent drafts with as many as four possible players with first round grades right now. At the top, you have Termarr Johnson, possibly the #1 overall pick with his potential plus hit and plus power. I have Jung at second but it is very possible that a team will try him at third. His offense profiles but he will need a lot of work defensively if he wants more than a short look at the corner. The only high school kid I have in the rankings is Gavin Kilen of Wisconsin. He doesnt turn 18 for another month. Right now he is strictly a contact hitter, and it looks like it could be a plus tool. He is small, so power is pretty limited right now.

3B
Cade Doughty||3B||LSU

Cam Collier was one of the top 2023 high school prospects just a few months ago. Since then, he graduated high school early, enrolled at Chipola Junior College, and is getting ready for the 2022 draft. At 17 years old, he is OPSing 1.109 in 22 games so far this season. He should be shooting up draft boards with his physicality and power. Cade Doughty might be the best player in the country that no one talks about because of his teammates at LSU. Doughty isnt flashy with huge tools. He's grown into some power, but it might be average or above average.

SS
Brooks Lee||SS||Cal Poly
Zach Neto||SS||Campbell

So far in 2022, Brooks Lee has come to the plate 38 times. He has walked 12 times and is yet to strike out. Lee knows the strike zone and has elite bat to ball skills. He hasnt hit for a lot of power yet, but he is a big, strong kid, so many think more power will come. Zach Neto's leg kick is a thing of beauty. It will definitely remind fans of sluggers of the past, but Neto gets away with it because of his quick hands and bat speed. He covers the plate well, and it helps to get him a little extra power. He has hit in season. He has hit in the Cape. I think its a 60 hit tool on a guy that is going to stick at short because of his arm and previously mentioned quick hands. 

CF
Jud Fabian||CF||Florida

This high school crop of center fielders excites me. It goes deeper than just the four guys listed here, but this isnt the place for the other guys. Elijah Green is the best high school hitting prospect since Bryce Harper dominated JUCO ball at 17 back in 2010. I could see 70-power, 70-arm, 65-glove, 65-speed, 60-hit in his body. Druw Jones has seen his stock sky rocket the past few months because he is starting to fill out his 6'3 frame a little and that has caused his exit velos go up and the power to flash plus and maybe show glimpses of more. Druw is going to stick in center, and like his father, he could be the best in the game at the position one day. Im just not quite as high on his bat as others at this moment. Gavin Turley has the tools of a top five selection. Im comfortable putting plus on every single tool of his but his bat. There is enough concern in the hit tool that it could cause him to go much lower than his other tools suggest, and we could see him at Oregon State for three years. Justin Crawford is another guy with a famous dad(Carl Crawford), and much like his father, speed is a huge asset for him. Its comfortably plus plus and it helps give him a huge advantage in center, where he plays plus defense. The power is just not there yet, but Justin has a huge 6'3 frame and average power might not be out of the question.

COF

There is a chance that both Brock Jones and Chase DeLauter play centerfield. I think its more likely Jones makes it in center. He's faster and more athletic. Jones also has a mediocre arm, so right field is out. DeLauter is just a big dude playing center in a small conference. He has the look of a right fielder. Cayden Wallace is also playing third at the moment for Arkansas, but its not going well defensively so far this year so its looking like right field will be his home. 

RHP
Kumar Rocker||RHP||N/A

There are some big question marks in the right handed pitching prospect pool. Both Peyton Pallette and Blade Tidwell were in my top five coming into the year, but Pallette is out with Tommy John and there is not current time table for Tidwell's return to Tennessee, so I have dropped both down. Also, we have the return of Kumar Rocker, and its all question marks about his health since he looks like a perennial all star when healthy but for most of 2021, he looked hittable, and if there are still question marks about his health entering the 2022 draft, then there is no guessing where he will be drafted. High schoolers are at my top two spots, and I could see both drafted very early. Lesko is the best looking right handed prep in the past few years. He has been up to 99 with an easy, effortless delivery that is easily repeatable. Throw in three offspeed pitches that all at least flash plus, and its hard to see him falling far in the draft, even with the stigma that right handed pitchers dont go early. Brock Porter is a cold weather arm from Michigan that has also hit 99 on radar guns. He also has an elite spin change up that is already plus, and can even be better. The breaking ball is where there is separation between the high schoolers. Porter doesnt quite have polish on his slider or curve, but the shape is good, so a third major league pitch looks like its in the arsenal. 

LHP

Much like right handed pitchers, I will start the left handed with the college injuries. Connor Prielipp is the major name here. Once thought the lefty could be in talk for #1 overall, but he was shut down after just one start in 2021, and lost the rest of the season and probably all of 2022, when he did not get surgery until last May. 35 superb college innings is all we have from him. Reggie Crawford of UCONN is the other major left handed injury. A true two way player for UCONN. He is also considered a 1B/DH prospect. He only pitched 7 relief innings for UCONN before showing up in the Cape throwing 100 last year. He continued to wow scouts for team USA, but he also went down with Tommy John in the fall, so there is even less known about Crawford. The left handed high school crop looks really strong with four guys in the top five and another couple that could sneak into the first round with great springs. 

14 hours ago, devils1854 said:

TOP 5 BY POSITION

C
Daniel Susac||C||Arizona

1B
Jacob Berry||1B||LSU
Tyler Locklear||1B||VCU

2B

3B
Cade Doughty||3B||LSU

SS
Brooks Lee||SS||Cal Poly
Zach Neto||SS||Campbell

CF
Jud Fabian||CF||Florida

COF

RHP
Kumar Rocker||RHP||N/A

LHP

Good stuff, Devils! My thoughts:

Cam Collier is very high on my list of guys I want there at 7 for the Cubs.  Dude is legit.

Hunter Barco is easily a top 5 LHP for me in the draft right now.  I caught a little bit of one of his starts, and he was filthy.

I really don't like Chase DeLauter as a high pick.  He was absolutely abused by fellow lefties in the FSU series.

Dylan Lesko is my favorite prep RHP in the past couple drafts.  

I don't like Jace Jung nearly as much as other do, although I obviously see the appeal.  

I think I like Eric Brown better than Carter Young for SS.

TOP 75 PROSPECTS

1.Elijah Green||CF||IMG Academy, FL
2.Brooks Lee||SS||Cal Poly
3.Termarr Johnson||2B||Mays, GA
4.Dylan Lesko||RHP||Buford, GA
5.Cam Collier||3B||Chipola JC
6.Kevin Parada||C||Georgia Tech
7.Druw Jones||CF||Weslyan, GA
8.Brock Porter||RHP||Orchard Lakes St Marys, MI
9.Jace Jung||2B||Texas Tech
10.Landon Sims||RHP||Mississippi State

11.Brandon Barreira||LHP||American Heritage, FL
12.Brock Jones||COF||Stanford
13.Daniel Susac||C||Arizona
14.Jacob Berry||1B||LSU
15.Gavin Cross||COF||Virginia Tech
16.Jackson Ferris||LHP||IMG Academy, FL
17.Zach Neto||SS||Campbell
18.Chase DeLauter||COF||James Madison
19.Kumar Rocker||RHP||N/A
20.Connor Prielipp||LHP||Alabama(INJ)

21.Gavin Turley||CF||Hamilton, AZ
22.Tristan Smith||LHP||Boiling Springs, SC
23.Robert Moore||2B||Arkansas
24.Cayden Wallace||COF||Arkansas
25.Noah Schultz||LHP||Oswego East, IL
26.Cade Doughty||3B||LSU
27.Gavin Kilen||2B||Milton, WI
28.Ian Ritchie||RHP||Bainbridge, WA
29.Blade Tidwell||RHP||Tennessee(INJ)
30.Cole Young||SS||North Allegheny, PA 

31.Andrew Dutkanych||RHP||Brebeuf Jesuit Prep, IN
32.Jackson Humphries||LHP||Fuquay-Varina, NC
33.Justin Crawford||CF||Bishop Gorman, NV
34.Carter Young||SS||Vanderbilt
35.Hunter Barco||LHP||Florida
36.Peyton Pallette||RHP||Arkansas(INJ)
37.Hayden Dunhurst||C||Ole Miss
38.Ross Highfill||C||Madison Central, MS
39.Walter Ford||RHP/3B||Pace, FL
40.Logan Tanner||C||Mississippi State

41.Jud Fabian||CF||Florida
42.Levi Huesman||LHP||Hamover, VA
43.Jackson Holliday||SS||Stillwater, OK
44.Jayson Jones||3B||Braswell, GA
45.Mikey Romero||SS||Orange Lutheran, CA
46.Paxton Kling||CF||Central, PA
47.Dylan Beavers||COF||California
48.Peyton Graham||3B||Oklahoma
49.Gabriel Hughes||RHP||Gonzaga
50.Brady Neal||C||IMG Academy, FL

51.Brice Hubbart||LHP||Florida State
52.Clark Elliott||COF||Michigan
53.Eric Adler||RHP||Wake Forest
54.Tucker Toman||3B/2B||Hammond, SC
55.Cade Fisher||LHP||Northwest Whitfield, GA
56.Nazier Mule||RHP/SS||Passoac County Tech, NJ
57.Jordan Sprinkle||SS||UC Santa Barbara
58.Carson Whisenhunt||LHP||East Carolina
59.Fisher Ingersoll||SS||American Fork, UT
60.Jordan Beck||COF||Tennessee

61.Eric Brown||SS||Coastal Carolina
62.Jonathan Cannon||RHP||Georgia
63.Jared Jones||C||Walton, GA
64.Parker Messick||LHP||Florida State
65.Malcolm Moore||C||McClatchy, CA
66.Andrew Pintar||SS||BYU
67.Sal Stewart||3B||Westminster Christian, FL
68.Brandon Sproat||RHP||Florida
69.Chris Newell||CF||Virginia
70.Jaden Noot||RHP||Sierra Canyon, CA

71.Henry Bolte||COF||Palo Alto, CA
72.Tyler Locklear||1B||VCU
73.Reggie Crawford||LHP/1B||UCONN(INJ)
74.Josh Kasevich||2B||Oregon
75.Thomas Dilandri||CF||San Jacinto JC

MOCK DRAFT

1.Baltimore-Brooks Lee||SS||Cal Poly
-Between 2019 and 2020, the Baltimore FO selected five shortstops in the first five rounds and added another in the sixth last year. Add in the tendency to go the college underslot role, and I think Lee is the choice here at the moment.

2.Arizona-Elijah Green||CF||IMG Academy, FL
-Green has been the best prospect for his age for a few years now, and scouts are looking for knocks and he stuck out a little too much over the summer in 2021, so he has been falling in many rankings. I still see a kid that has 70 power, 70 speed, 60 defense in center, and 60 arm to go along with a possible 50 hit tool. I still think he is the best high school prospect in a decade and fits in with what Arizona looks for.

3.Texas-Termarr Johnson||2B||Mays, GA
-It seems like this Texas staff has a model and sticks with it because they have gone with both college and prep hitting and pitching early the past couple of drafts, and with that, Im giving them the best player on the board in Johnson. Some scouts are throwing a 70 hit tool at him, and will probably get the chance to play short with his athleticism and some help with shifts.

4.Pittsburgh-Jace Jung||2B||Texas Tech
-This Pittsburgh FO had the draft of their lives last year, grabbing five top 100 players, highlighted by an underslot Henry Davis at #1. Im going back to the college hitter route once again and giving them Jace Jung from Texas Tech. I have him listed as a 2B but he could also see time at 3rd and could form a nice core with Davis and Gonzalez.

5.Washington-Dylan Lesko||RHP||Buford, GA
-After going pitcher with their first pick for what seems a decade, the Nationals went the high school route in 2021 and selected Brady House. A guy like Druw Jones could be the play here to continue the trend, but Dylan Lesko could be the best high school right hander in a few years, and we already know this front office isnt scared away by high school right handers in the first. 

6.Miami-Druw Jones||CF||Weslyan, GA
-This pick seems like a no brainer to me. Jones, the son of Andruw Jones, is shooting up draft boards. Its a possible five tools, just like his father when he was a teenager. Right now I dont see the power potential that is causing him to rise, but the speed, defense, and arm are all plus.

7.CHI Cubs-Chase DeLauter||COF||James Madison
-With their new GM coming from Cleveland, the question can be asked if their new draft strategy will mirror that of the Guardians. If so, we could see pitching and up the middle position players. I dont see a player available here that would fit the bill currently, so I went with Chase DeLauter of James Madison. He was the best prospect in the Cape last year, after a great, shortened 2021 season. He could potentially play center, but I think he is a prototypical big power right fielder, and might be the top prospect available here.

8.Minnesota-Jacob Berry||1B||LSU
-I am not a proponent of selecting a first baseman this early, but Jacob Berry's power potential has to excite the Twins. This is the organization that took Aaron Sabato two years ago and had no problems drafting potential positionless hitters early with past selections of Alex Kiriloff and Trevor Larnach. LSU already has a potential 2023 first round selection currently at first and another potential early selection in 2022 at third, so Berry will see some time in the outfield, but it definitely looks like he will be playing a below league average first in the future(or a DH).

9.Kansas City-Landon Sims||RHP||Mississippi State
-Dayton Moore has gone pitcher in the first in three of the past four years, and surprised many in selecting two high school arms with his first two picks last year. This could be the spot we see the first college arm come off the board. Sims was a lights out closer for the Bulldogs last year and he shows a plus fastball and a plus slider. If he can go longer in games and start to develop a change up, then we could see him even earlier come July.

10.Colorado-Cam Collier||3B||Chipola JC
-Cam Collier turned 17 just three months ago, yet he is playing JUCO baseball in Florida this spring. Once a top high school prospect for the 2023 class, he reclassified this year and will be eligible for the draft after one season at Chipola. After 16 games, he is OPSing over 1.000 in 2022 in one of the better junior college leagues in the country. His age and tools should excite the Rockies draft model, which has landed them Zac Veen,  Drew Romo, and Benny Montgomery in the past two drafts.

11.NY Mets-Brock Porter||RHP||Orchard Lakes St Marys, MI
-Im not sure where to go with the Mets. Its an organization with a new GM and a relatively new owner. This is also the organization that went all in on going overslot with Kumar Rocker last year and failed to sign him, so it looks like the draft could be a huge bust. There is a long list of potential college hitter to turn to here, but one will be available at pick #14, so I decided to go with the high school right arm. Porter has a potential four pitch mix, headlined by a potential 70 fastball. He will be hurt on some draft boards because he will turn 19 a month before the draft.

12.Detroit-Brock Jones||COF||Stanford
-Even after going the high school pitching route in 2021, I still see this Tigers organization as one that loves high level college players, and they should have a great choice here. Jones came to Stanford a two way player, but gave up football after just one season. He already has a very exciting speed/power combo, and if he continues to improve his game from just being able to focus on baseball, then Jones could be an all star level player.

13.LA Angels-Brandon Barreira||LHP||American Heritage, FL
-The Angels famously took 20 pitchers in 20 rounds in the 2021 draft. This is an organization that is desperately trying to develop pitching talent to go along with Trout and Ohtani, and I think that will probably be their goal again in 2022 since Arte Moreno pretty much runs every aspect of the team. Barriea is the top pitching prospect available at the spot. If he were two inches taller, then he wouldnt be available at this spot because he is an analytic dream. Id rather go with a college pitcher here, but with preseason injuries, I dont see the value yet.

14.NY Mets-Kevin Parada||C||Georgia Tech
-The Mets could go a number of ways here, but I am giving them my top rated player left in Kevin Parada. I see a guy that has a plus, plus plus?, hit tool to go along with a possible 55 power. The question is his ability to stay at catcher. He could be a hit first left fielder, but his value is going to be tied to staying at catcher. He is athletic and I like his body, so I tend to think he will be able to stick there and be serviceable for his valuable years, and his hitting ability will carry him.

15.San Diego-Gavin Turley||CF||Hamilton, AZ
-We pretty much know that the Padres will choose from the high school ranks with their first pick and I think they will select another hitter. Turley is rising up draft boards because of his enticing tools. The power is comparable to Elijah Green. The speed is comparable to Elijah Green. The center field defense is comparable to Elijah Green. The hit concerns are comparable to Elijah Green. Turley hasnt always shown up against elite talent so he is not considered on the level of Green, but the tools to be an elite major league player are there, and an organization like San Diego should think they could unlock his true potential. 

16.Cleveland-Jackson Ferris||LHP||IMG Academy, FL
-We are at a spot where we could start to see a number of high school pitchers talked about, and the Cleveland draft strategy has been pitcher heavy early and often, it seems like a good spot for them to take the best available. Ferris has flashed the pitches that could see him drafted in the top ten, but consistency has been the issue and his unorthodox delivery might need to be modified to try to bring the control to an acceptable level. This is the type of guy that could get into the Cleveland system and blossom under one of the best developmental staffs in the majors.

17.Philadelphia-Gavin Cross||COF||Virginia Tech
-The Phillies have a pretty big need for an outfielder and although you dont draft for need in the MLB draft, Cross is a guy that could move fast through the system and be an impact player sooner than later. Offensively, he is not too much unlike the Phillies second round pick in 2021, Ethan Wilson from South Alabama, but Cross should be able to play a pretty good right field and maybe center in a pinch.

18.Cincinnati-Daniel Susac||C||Arizona
-Susac should not be available here, but someone always slips, and its a pleasant surprise for the Reds. Susac is a very large individual at 6'4 but the organization did a great job developing another 6'4 catcher in Tyler Stephenson, so his size shouldnt scare them away. He is also pretty athletic, so he could possibly see some time in the outfield, which would be a major plus to the Reds, and he should have plenty of bat if he were to move to the outfield.

19.Oakland-Robert Moore||2B||Arkansas
-I have liked the A's recent strategy of taking high school bats with their first picks. Their system needs a huge talent boost. Robert Moore isnt a high school bat, but he is still a month away from his 20th birthday, so he is very model friendly. He has played second while at Arkansas, but a team might want to try him at short, or even in center, and he would also be the third straight middle of the diamond first round pick for Oakland.

20.Atlanta-Connor Prielipp||LHP||Alabama(INJ)
-21 innings is all we have on Connor Prielipp. Thats what he threw in 2020 before the pandemic. It was an electric 21 innings. 35 Ks and no runs, but Connor injured himself during his first start of 2021 and opted for Tommy John after a couple months, meaning he is probably out for all of 2021, but will hopefully be back for summer ball before the draft. He has two potential plus plus pitches from the left side and would assuredly be among the names for the #1 pick if he did not get injured. This is about the spot where we should start to see the injured pitchers start to come off the board.

21.Seattle-Kumar Rocker||RHP||N/A
Right now we dont have enough information to know where to expect Rocker to be picked. If he is able to come back and play in the draft league or another independent league and he shows the pitcher that was dominant as a freshman or sophomore, then there is a good chance he is the first college pitcher off the board. If he doesnt pitch before the draft, or if he isnt the dominant guy, then I would still expect someone in the 20s to take a shot to see if they can bring back the dominant pitcher. Seattle is intriguing to me. They have been known to draft college pitchers early and often and Emerson Hancock had a few injury question marks and they still selected him with the sixth pick of the 2020 draft. If their doctors give the go ahead, he could be their pick.

22.St Louis-Cole Young||SS||North Allegheny, PA
-The Cardinals have done a great job identifying high school hitting talent that have been passed over, and Young could be next in line. He is a little older than the picks the past couple years, and he will be turning 19 about a month after the draft, so Im not sure if that will go against their model. I think its the right pick at the moment since the other position group that we have seen then draft early, college pitcher, doesnt look to have a player that makes sense here.

23.Toronto-Hunter Barco||LHP||Florida
-Much like Gunnar Hoglund, Toronto's 2021 first pick, Hunter Barco was a very highly regarded high school prospect that somehow made his way to an SEC powerhouse. Much like Hoglund, Barco had a solid first two years at Florida, but probably not up to his standards, and he looks to be a second day pick heading into his draft eligible season. Hoglund was able to find another couple ticks in the fastball, and his pitchablility went to missing bats. If Barco can command his 95 mph fastball, along with a plus slider, he can slide into the first round with the number of pitchers currently injured.

24.Boston-Jackson Holliday||SS||Stillwater, OK
-The Red Sox have been through two drafts under Brian O'Halloran, and impact high school bats that fit their model have been selected early, so I can easily see them taking their third straight high school middle infielder in 2022. Holliday knows how to make hard contact with every at bat, and as he matures, he can go from a gap hitter to one that hits over 20 bombs a year.

25.NY Yankees-Blade Tidwell||RHP||Tennessee(INJ)
-After a solid freshman season in 2021, Tidwell really came onto draft radars with a solid summer and a fall that saw him touch 99 on the guns. A couple weeks before the 2022 season, Tidwell was shutdown with an undisclosed injury. We really arent sure when he will be back, or even if he will be back in 2022. If he is able to come back and show he is healthy, then there is a good chance he is taken in the first. If not, we could see him back in college for his third year.

26.CHI White Sox-Zach Neto||SS||Campbell
With the White Sox in win now mode and not as focused on supplying the big club with talent, they can go BPA, and I think that is a guy that fits the club, and could end up helping the team sooner than later, and that is Zach Neto. He is listed as a shortstop and I think he will have no problems sticking, but the White Sox have a hole at second and Neto could be the guy to bring above average production to that spot. 

-This Milwaukee system has not taken a high schooler before the 9th round since 2018, and they have done a good job developing their guys from the college ranks, so I dont see it really changing at this spot in the draft. Logan Tanner is a leader behind the plate and can help anchor a good staff. He's probably an average defender behind the plate, but he might have the best arm in the draft. Maybe a true 80. Offensively, he should put the ball over the fence a good bit, but he might not give much else with the bat.

28.Houston-Ian Ritchie||RHP||Bainbridge, WA
-Under new management and under sanctions since 2020, the Astros havent drafted higher than 72 in the past two years. In each of those drafts, they have gone overslot with a high school kid that might have slidden. They are back in the first round in 2022 and there is a great crop of high schoolers to choose from if they should go that direction. This is where Ian Ritchie comes in. Four pitches. Has touched 97 with the fastball, and has advanced feel and command for a high schooler.

29.Tampa Bay-Noah Schultz||LHP||Oswego East, IL
-Its hard taking a look at Noah Schultz and not think that the Rays would salivate at the chance to get him in their pitching program. There arent too many 6'9 guys in the majors. Most arent athletic enough to harness their stuff, but that is not a problem with Schultz. His body seems like more of a basketball player than pitcher, which has helped him on the mound. Throwing the ball, he comes from a low 3/4 release that is hard to pick up by lefty's at the plate. Currently, he only sits around 89-92 but one would think that a few more ticks can be found in that body.

30.LA Dodgers-Carter Young||SS||Vanderbilt
-Carter Young has developed above average power at the shortstop position and there is no reason to think that it should not translate to pro ball. That is, if he can make enough contact. He led college baseball in Ks last year, and that is not something that translates to pro ball(see Casey Martin). If there is a team that can fix a swing, its the Dodgers, and Young becomes very valuable if he no longer has a huge swing issue.

31.San Francisco-Cade Doughty||3B||LSU
Last year, the Giants took a pitcher in the first round for the first time since Phil Bickford in 2015. This year I have them heading back to the position player pool since Cade Doughty is available. Versatility is one of the big assets for Doughty. He can play 2nd, 3rd, short in a pinch, and potentially center field. Thats something that should be enticing to major league teams. He's grown into his body, so its not hard to think that he could add 20 home runs a year to his positional flexibility. 

Mocked the next 10 picks with Boston's compensation for Jud Fabian at 41.

32.Baltimore-Cayden Wallace||COF||Arkansas
33.Arizona-Mikey Romero||SS||Orange Lutheran, CA
34.Texas-Peyton Pallette||RHP||Arkansas(INJ)
35.Pittsburgh-Andrew Dutkanych||RHP||Brebeuf Jesuit Prep, IN
36.Washington-Jud Fabian||CF||Florida
37.Miami-Hayden Dunhurst||C||Ole Miss
38.CHI Cubs-Walter Ford||RHP||Pace, FL
39.Minnesota-Dylan Beavers||COF||California
40.Kansas City-Gabriel Hughes||RHP||Gonzaga
41.Boston-Gavin Kilen||2B||Milton, WI

On 3/2/2022 at 11:47 AM, hrubes20 said:

Good stuff, Devils! My thoughts:

Cam Collier is very high on my list of guys I want there at 7 for the Cubs.  Dude is legit.

Hunter Barco is easily a top 5 LHP for me in the draft right now.  I caught a little bit of one of his starts, and he was filthy.

I really don't like Chase DeLauter as a high pick.  He was absolutely abused by fellow lefties in the FSU series.

Dylan Lesko is my favorite prep RHP in the past couple drafts.  

I don't like Jace Jung nearly as much as other do, although I obviously see the appeal.  

I think I like Eric Brown better than Carter Young for SS.

Agreed about Collier. I have him at #5 on my list. Its real superstar potential with the bat.

I have moved Barco up to the 30s after his first two starts this year and I can definitely see him rising way up the boards to Kansas City at 9. We just need to see him perform against good competition in the SEC.

I wouldnt hold the first weekend of the season against DeLauter. He hit all summer last year, even against lefties. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt since it was opening weekend.

17 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Think I'd rather gamble on Fabian or Beavers over Tanner. Though, all three fit how we draft (up the middle position, college bat, ~45 FV contact with higher power grades) so all three will likely be on our radar, so either way, they are all viable options. Beavers probably doesn't profile up the middle, in the end, but he's also a lefty power bat and we emphasize that as well. Peyton Graham will also likely be in play.