The Good the Bad, The Ugly vs the Dolphins

BackinBlack

didnt see one up, so figured id start the conversation, hope no one minds.

The Good:

J Cook  - looked like the player we all hoped for. Was huge on 3rd down all night, had a couple great catches. Finally used him in the middle of the field. 

Oline (mainly 2nd half play) - kept carr pretty clean, and opened up rushing lanes in the 2nd half. 

Getting the win, and keeping the season alive. I know we wouldnt of been eliminated with the loss, but it wouldve been very tough, well it still will be very tough, but still.

Obi - finally saw the field. didnt notice him a ton, but that in itself can be a good thing for a rookie S getting his first start.

Maybee Lynch... he ran hard in second half, and 2 TDs definitely helps, but both tds were mainly the oline

The Bad:
How often on 3rd down, we run a little bubble screen to the WR. i feel like it is our go to 3rd down play call and it never works. not sure if Carr or Downing, but i wish on 3rd and 6, wed throw the ball 7 yards and not rely on missed or broken tackles.

some of the no called holds on mack. guy gets abused by olineman.

DC anxiety in the pocket. Tempted to put this in ugly, but he is hurt so ill give him a bit of a break

The Ugly:
Cutler starting 16 for 16. I know must of these were dump offs, but come on. How KNJ doesnt adjust to cover the RB is mind blowing.

Our CBs, seemed like every throw to targets other than RB were wide open. 

Tackling - very sloppy game. I wish our players would just wrap up rather then go for the knockout everytime. 

Still no INTS - i thought Sean Smith was going to get one but the ball was overthrown.

DC / Newhouse fumble. Amazing play by Suh, good thinking by Newhouse but realistically he shouldve known he wasnt getting the 13 yards, then no one even touched the ball he jsut dropped it lol

Im sure there are plenty more but thats off teh top of my head. 

Derek Carr is not hurt. That is not an excuse for his play. He needs to be more poise in the pocket. It's becoming a thing. They mentioned it in the broadcast.  When he's pressured, he rattles. KC mentioned this last season. He gets shaky and starts forcing passes to quickly. He needs a QB coach/OC to get his mind right with this or he's going to continue to be a streaky QB who struggles with consistency. 

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Derek Carr is not hurt. That is not an excuse for his play. He needs to be more poise in the pocket. It's becoming a thing. They mentioned it in the broadcast.  When he's pressured, he rattles. KC mentioned this last season. He gets shaky and starts forcing passes to quickly. He needs a QB coach/OC to get his mind right with this or he's going to continue to be a streaky QB who struggles with consistency. 

This. I remember telling my wife that he had this problem and then she began to notice it. If she notices it then believe me other teams will too. However there where some pretty good passes he made when staring down the barrel of a free rusher. Still this team sinks or swims with him.

21 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Fair enough. Hurt or not, it is no secret that, that is his big weakness to his game. Was the reason he fell to the 2nd. 
It seems to have gotten worse, and maybe that is the result of the couple injuries, i dont know. 

I do think JDR and Downing have really been preaching throw the ball away, and play for the next down mentality. Which Carr definitely has bought into. 

3 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Fair enough. Hurt or not, it is no secret that, that is his big weakness to his game. Was the reason he fell to the 2nd. 
It seems to have gotten worse, and maybe that is the result of the couple injuries, i dont know. 

I do think JDR and Downing have really been preaching throw the ball away, and play for the next down mentality. Which Carr definitely has bought into. 

He's to quick to get the ball out. Or in 1 case last night on the first drive he didn't even attempt to buy time. With no pressure, he just ate it and settled for a FG. Who knows?

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

i feel like it is our go to 3rd down play call and it never works. not sure if Carr or Downing, but i wish on 3rd and 6, wed throw the ball 7 yards and not rely on missed or broken tackles.

We use that screen 3-4 times a game. People just don't like it but it's an easy way to get the ball to Coop or Crab so they can make plays. When we run those 5 - 10 yard slants and curls Carr has to put mustard on it and most of the time it's a drop.

I think the argument vs Roberts in the slot makes sense on those plays because a traditional slot wr is key on 3rd down to create space with his route and quickness to get open. Buthe the plus of Seth is his blocking, effort and ability down the seam and in the redzone. 

41 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

I think Carr is more hurt than letting on. Once again he seems only capable of throwing touch passes. He isn't able to throw those 25-30 yard bullets. 

I refuse on letting this be a narrative. He's throwing a number of bullets in tight windows. He's said he's healthy, he played the part against KC. Right now, it's mental. He's not stepping up in the pocket and being poise. He's playing skittish and impatient. He needs to get it fixed, or he will flame out quick... period. 

Roberts is awful. I know we've only seen 2 plays out of Holton, but I'd rather see him get playing time because the dude is legit as a vertical threat and is really fast. Obviously, run-blocking is a consideration, but these are wide RECEIVERS.

Hopefully we can get dave and conley back after the bye.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Roberts is awful. I know we've only seen 2 plays out of Holton, but I'd rather see him get playing time because the dude is legit as a vertical threat and is really fast. Obviously, run-blocking is a consideration, but these are wide RECEIVERS.

rmIXeT.gif

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

What make Robert awful in your mind?

The same passes that he drops are the same ones that Coop drops.* And that is the only real fault that you can take exception with to even approach that kind of description. Just silly.

BTW, Here are our top 5 receivers catches, targets, drops, and catch %

Coop 38rec, 77tgt, 4drp, 49%

Crab 36rec, 55tgt, 2drp, 65%

Cook 39rec, 55tgt, 3drp, 70%

Roberts 17rec, 29tgt, 1drp, 63%

Patterson 14rec, 19tgt, 1drp, 73%

Roberts has had some bad games outside of drops too. I forgot which maybe redskins game... he had a missed assignment.. a false start.. and a drop as well. Roberts has more than 1 drop and cooper has more than 4. Not sure where these stats came from haha. Roberts had a drop last night and i can think of atleast 3-4 others.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

What make Robert awful in your mind?

The same passes that he drops are the same ones that Coop drops.* And that is the only real fault that you can take exception with to even approach that kind of description. Just silly.

BTW, Here are our top 5 receivers catches, targets, drops, and catch %

Coop 38rec, 77tgt, 4drp, 49%

Crab 36rec, 55tgt, 2drp, 65%

Cook 39rec, 55tgt, 3drp, 70%

Roberts 17rec, 29tgt, 1drp, 63%

Patterson 14rec, 19tgt, 1drp, 73%

Roberts isn't half as good as cooper though. Holton has shown more upside as a receiver.

Archived