GB free agency 2022

squire12

6 hours ago, joeybrowner47 said:

If Z and Hunter are both healthy.. my goodness! and in a 3-4 where they’ll be standing up. Watch out Aaron 

If  If  If  If ... Z with a back and Hunter was hurt too.  Can't contribute one bit for that amount of money really hurts.  Not sure those 2 will be on the field much.   

2 hours ago, Chili said:

What are your theories as to why MVS hasn't signed along the dotted line yet for any team?

Thought it would've happened by now.

My theory is that GM's see MVS for the player he actually is versus the player GB fans have always thought he might become.

• Like 3

Via @Chili's post, KC fan:

Signing Reed was a complete disaster last season. Having Reed gave us a false sense of confidence that we could move Chris Jones to DE and use Reed effectively as an interior pass rusher. Awful awful decision that resulted in the Chiefs having the worst pass rush and worst defense in the NFL for the first half of the season.

Not only did Reed provide almost nothing as a pass rusher, he also completely nullified Chris Jones’ effectiveness.

Signing Melvin Ingram to play DE, kicking Jones back inside to 3 tech, and making Reed play nose tackle and eat double teams was the last ditch hail marry to save our defense and it worked miraculously well until the playoffs.

But here’s the thing. Reed wasn’t even good at eating double teams either. Derrick Nnadi is a way better nose tackle and we resigned him to a vet minimum contract.

We are in a different boat from the Chiefs on defense.  We have better pass rushers already, and our secondary is light years ahead of theirs.  Reed isn't going to be counted on for a pass rush.  He is going to be counted on to be better than the likes of Kingsley Keke, Tyler Lancaster, and Jack Heflin, while giving Kenny and Dean a breather.  

As for Z on the Vikings, I am not going to bad mouth a good player. But I would err on the Packers side on this one.  I don't trust back injuries to go away.  Good for him/them if it works out.

6 hours ago, Chili said:

I love 1 year deals because if they do well and get a big deal in the following free agency we might gain a good comp pick out of it.

The downside is if he’s a guy you want to hang into like Campbell/Douglas then you end up paying more than if you got them on a multi-year off the bat.

11 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

The downside is if he’s a guy you want to hang into like Campbell/Douglas then you end up paying more than if you got them on a multi-year off the bat.

They're called prove it deals for a reason, they play with more urgency when they are playing for another contract rather than being fat and happy on multiple year deals. I think Bill Veeck had it right, make all contracts one-year contracts and you will always have productive players.  

30 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Reed in 2022 is probably a better option than anybody you were likely to get in the draft at value.

...and his arrival allows the Packers to shop for value -  rather than be forced to snag a DT.