Disney completes 21st Century Fox acquisition

Acgott

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 11:56 PM, Miami49er said:

Honestly i think it should stay the way it is. For the most part Fox is doing fine with the X-Men properties (Fantastic 4 not so much). NO WAY would we have gotten Deadpool and Logan in their incarnation if Disney had the the rights. Same with X-Men days of Future Past. Fox is taking chances with their X-Men properties and that’s a good thing for their genre as a whole. I really don’t want Fox to go away at all. Disney/Marvel has a formula that works for them but i don’t think that jokey, bright, light hearted formula works for all their properties. I think it would be smart of Disney to license more of their characters that they would never use to other studios (like Blade, Moon Knight, etc). The more of their characters are out there on the big screen the more comics and toys they sell. 

Plus with Disney, Logan and Deadpool would be played by Charlize Theron and Jennifer Lawrence to promote awareness. 

The MCU is big news, but I think the potential effects to Hulu is going under the radar. Disney/ABC will own 60% of Hulu after this deal.  I could see them trying to design Hulu to give customers a better deal or more content around their group of networks, TV series', etc.  I could see them taking direct aim at Netflix. Trying to create better TV shows, movies, and maybe have exclusive rights to air Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar films. 

Especially with this already decided starting in 2019: 

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/netflix-losing-star-wars-marvel-films-investors-1202550081/

On 11/6/2017 at 11:56 PM, Miami49er said:

Honestly i think it should stay the way it is. For the most part Fox is doing fine with the X-Men properties (Fantastic 4 not so much). NO WAY would we have gotten Deadpool and Logan in their incarnation if Disney had the the rights. Same with X-Men days of Future Past. Fox is taking chances with their X-Men properties and that’s a good thing for their genre as a whole. I really don’t want Fox to go away at all. Disney/Marvel has a formula that works for them but i don’t think that jokey, bright, light hearted formula works for all their properties. I think it would be smart of Disney to license more of their characters that they would never use to other studios (like Blade, Moon Knight, etc). The more of their characters are out there on the big screen the more comics and toys they sell. 

As a fan, probably a good thing. But in reality there's no way this'll ever happen. This is what got Marvel in the mess they're in right now. Having to try to buy back the rights to these hugely popular franchises. It's all about money, Marvel won't want someone else making gobs of money off their characters now that they have the means to do it themselves (the primary reason they sold rights to begin with). And besides, they're extraordinarily future thinking. They have 10, 20, 30 year plans. If they give away too many rights to characters, they won't be able to use them in the future.  Just because they don't have plans now or in the next decade doesn't mean they don't want to incorporate these guys into future plans. Sure, they can sell toys, but the movie franchises they're creating are generating billions in revenue just from viewship. As a business you don't want to give that up. 

19 minutes ago, NickButera said:

The MCU is big news, but I think the potential effects to Hulu is going under the radar. Disney/ABC will own 60% of Hulu after this deal.  I could see them trying to design Hulu to give customers a better deal or more content around their group of networks, TV series', etc.  I could see them taking direct aim at Netflix. Trying to create better TV shows, movies, and maybe have exclusive rights to air Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar films. 

Especially with this already decided starting in 2019: 

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/netflix-losing-star-wars-marvel-films-investors-1202550081/

Will Disney still create their own streaming service?

4 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Will Disney still create their own streaming service?

If they'll own a majority of Hulu, why wouldn't they just reconfigure the existing product to include Disney films, ESPN, ABC programming, A&E programming, etc?

Media consolidation on this scale is ******* terrifying.

Take a look at all the properties under 21st Century Fox and Disney. Now imagine all of those properties under one umbrella. I don't think I need to explain why a single entity having that much power over western culture and media is bad.

The second problem is that a number of projects are going to be cancelled, subsidiaries will be merged and shut down, and a lot of people are going to be laid off.

The third problem, which might be hard to see right now because so many people love Disney, is that the current leadership will not be around forever. When that happens, as it inevitably does, and their output starts to suck, as it inevitable will, fans will be out of options because, as it turns out, letting a single entity control all of your favorite properties is actually a terrible idea.

This is a huge nightmare, especially since they will be getting all the regional Fox Sports networks.

I watch the Braves, Hawks, and Preds on Sport South/Fox Sports South, and if Disney/ESPN acquires it, its going to go downhill fast, and who knows what stupid direction they will take them.

Also, it sounds like Disney would own MLB TV as well, and you know they will f**k that up somehow. 

Marvel and X-Men together? Whooptie do. 

33 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

This is a huge nightmare, especially since they will be getting all the regional Fox Sports networks.

I watch the Braves, Hawks, and Preds on Sport South/Fox Sports South, and if Disney/ESPN acquires it, its going to go downhill fast, and who knows what stupid direction they will take them.

Also, it sounds like Disney would own MLB TV as well, and you know they will f**k that up somehow. 

Marvel and X-Men together? Whooptie do. 

Thank you. Mass media consolidation should be scaring the crap out of people. Disney owning all local sports TV? Baseball being an ESPN monopoly aside from the 2-3 teams that have AT&T contracts? Disney owning Hulu and other streaming networks that operate fine as they are now?

This is going to be absolutely brutal for the consumer. But yay Spider-Man and Wolverine can high five.

Having one company control the vast majority of mass media in this country should be terrifying, and it's not over. Most of these billionaires got into entertainment as a stepping stone. Murdoch did it to fund Fox News. Now that they're all aging out, this consolidation is going to become more and more commonplace.

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Thank you. Mass media consolidation should be scaring the crap out of people. Disney owning all local sports TV? Baseball being an ESPN monopoly aside from the 2-3 teams that have AT&T contracts? Disney owning Hulu and other streaming networks that operate fine as they are now?

This is going to be absolutely brutal for the consumer. But yay Spider-Man and Wolverine can high five.

Having one company control the vast majority of mass media in this country should be terrifying, and it's not over. Most of these billionaires got into entertainment as a stepping stone. Murdoch did it to fund Fox News. Now that they're all aging out, this consolidation is going to become more and more commonplace.

We're seeing it on all sorts of business culture too. Look at the e-commerce landscape. The land of the start ups are over. Once they get to a certain size, the larger corporations gobble them up via acquisitions. They and can scale them better, faster, the owners get their payouts and usually retain contracts with the company acquiring. We see it religiously now in my business.   

Hate to say it, but I wonder if 50-100 years from now if we begin to morph into an some kind of oligarchy. 

7 minutes ago, NickButera said:

We're seeing it on all sorts of business culture too. Look at the e-commerce landscape. The land of the start ups are over. Once they get to a certain size, the larger corporations gobble them up via acquisitions. They and can scale them better, faster, the owners get their payouts and usually retain contracts with the company acquiring. We see it religiously now in my business.   

Hate to say it, but I wonder if 50-100 years from now if we begin to morph into an some kind of oligarchy. 

Begin too? My friend we're already there.

Disney will now own:
ABC
ESPN(and associated channels)
SEC Network 
Big Ten Network
Fox regionals 

Comcast owns:
NBC
NBCSN
NBC regionals 

Nevermind the fact that Universal and Disney would be a duopoly for all intents and purposes. Paramount, MGM, and WB are tiny comparatively. How long until Comcast and Disney buy them up? Rupert Murdoch and the board at Disney now effectively own 60-70% of all western mass media. Already staggeringly wealthy individuals and corporations that now wield total and complete creative and operational control over these things. This is how the vast majority of dystopian cyberpunk stories start. 

Things like this, is the harbinger of bad, bad, baaaaaaaaaaad times to come for the general public. It won't be long until we're seeing the duopoly simply work together or de-facto merge to begin with as it's simply a more effective method to do business. 

Add in the AT&T/Time Warner merger and people should be downright terrified of what's to come, especially with the death of Net neutrality looming

Archived