Disney completes 21st Century Fox acquisition

Acgott

The company could not own two broadcast networks and would therefore not buy the Fox broadcast network. It would not buy Fox's sports programming assets in the belief that combining them with ESPN could be seen as anti-competitive from an antitrust standpoint and it would not buy the Fox News or Business channel. Disney would also not purchase Fox's local broadcasting affiliates, according to people familiar with the negotiations.

In addition to the movie studio, TV production and international assets such as Star and Sky, Disney would also add entertainment networks such as FX and National Geographic.

6 hours ago, Miami49er said:

I’m hoping it doesn’t happen because that’s bad for Hollywood. Disney would begin to become a monopoly. 

Yeah...I wish they would just sell the Marvel rights back to Disney. and then sell the company to WBs or someone else.     

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Yeah...I wish they would just sell the Marvel rights back to Disney. and then sell the company to WBs or someone else.     

Honestly i think it should stay the way it is. For the most part Fox is doing fine with the X-Men properties (Fantastic 4 not so much). NO WAY would we have gotten Deadpool and Logan in their incarnation if Disney had the the rights. Same with X-Men days of Future Past. Fox is taking chances with their X-Men properties and that’s a good thing for their genre as a whole. I really don’t want Fox to go away at all. Disney/Marvel has a formula that works for them but i don’t think that jokey, bright, light hearted formula works for all their properties. I think it would be smart of Disney to license more of their characters that they would never use to other studios (like Blade, Moon Knight, etc). The more of their characters are out there on the big screen the more comics and toys they sell. 

1 minute ago, Miami49er said:

Honestly i think it should stay the way it is. For the most part Fox is doing fine with the X-Men properties (Fantastic 4 not so much). NO WAY would we have gotten Deadpool and Logan in their incarnation if Disney had the the rights. Same with X-Men days of Future Past. Fox is taking chances with their X-Men properties and that’s a good thing for their genre as a whole. I really don’t want Fox to go away at all. Disney/Marvel has a formula that works for them but i don’t think that jokey, bright, light hearted formula works for all their properties. I think it would be smart of Disney to license more of their characters that they would never use to other studios (like Blade, Moon Knight, etc). The more of their characters are out there on the big screen the more comics and toys they sell. 

Personally, I dont really care either way from that perspective.   I am fine with the way it is now, but I do think it would be cool to see the XMen in an Avengers movie.

Although it could be argued that the XMen franchise has had its fair share of duds at Fox (X3, Wolverine: Origins, Apololypse....and maybe The Wolverine).      Regardless of who has it, I personally believe the XMen franchise needs to be rebooted.   The timeline is laughably muddled and IMO, the new younger cast they are looking to push forward with is weak (I am pretty sure Fassenbender, Lawrence and Hoult are all done).     

Aside from the X-Men and Fantastic 4 stuff, this is just bad for Hollywood as a whole. This would give more power than they already have and they’ve already done some shady things like trying to strong arm movie theaters to show Star Wars in their biggest screens for 4 weeks. I know fans are excited because they can potentially see X-Men in the MCU but are forgetting that it’s much bigger than that. If Disney swallows up Fox (a major studio that’s been around for decades) it shrinks the pool of major production studios. Let’s say a producer has a great movie that WB, Disney, Sony, Paramount, and Universal pass on. Fox May have been the one movie to distribute it if they were still around. A lot of the great movies we have now are because that ONE distributor gave it a chance. If it wasn’t for Fox we wouldn’t even have Star Wars because they were the one studio that gave George Lucas a chance. We could miss out on the next major franchise because that major studio that would have green lit an idea is gone. To lose a major distributor like Fox is just bad for Hollywood. 

Archived