Traits to Look For

xrade

I thought I’d start a topic of what traits do you look for at certain positions. It’s a slow time if the year, and all the mock draft talk is getting a little tedious ATM.

The first position we'll attack is QB. If you had a say on picking a QB, what do you look for?  I’ll start in order of importance.

1.  Accuracy - if a QB can’t hit the side of a barn, nothing else matters.

2. Pre snap reads - a QB has to know where the pressure is coming from and adjust pre snap.

3.  Wits in the pocket - I think we saw with Sam how frazzled he got once the ball was snapped especially with pressure bearing down. A QB has to remain under control even though he knows he’s gonna get hammered.

4.  Ability to adjust - a QB has to be able to move in the pocket and adjust if he is flushed. This kind of goes with being able to thrown on the move and make off platform throws.

5.  Arm Strength - a strong arm is great for tight window throws but I think it is too glamorized relative to other traits.

6.  Ability to run - I hate when my QB runs because I am just waiting for that torn ACL. It’s great to pick up a first down or even score, but I like my QB to do it the conventional way, passing.

I’m sure I’ll read other comments and realize I forgot something. This was just off the top my cranium right now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xrade said:

I thought I’d start a topic of what traits do you look for at certain positions. It’s a slow time if the year, and all the mock draft talk is getting a little tedious ATM.

The first position we'll attack is QB. If you had a say on picking a QB, what do you look for?  I’ll start in order of importance.

1.  Accuracy - if a QB can’t hit the side of a barn, nothing else matters.

2. Pre snap reads - a QB has to know where the pressure is coming from and adjust pre snap.

3.  Wits in the pocket - I think we saw with Sam how frazzled he got once the ball was snapped especially with pressure bearing down. A QB has to remain under control even though he knows he’s gonna get hammered.

4.  Ability to adjust - a QB has to be able to move in the pocket and adjust if he is flushed. This kind of goes with being able to thrown on the move and make off platform throws.

5.  Arm Strength - a strong arm is great for tight window throws but I think it is too glamorized relative to other traits.

6.  Ability to run - I hate when my QB runs because I am just waiting for that torn ACL. It’s great to pick up a first down or even score, but I like my QB to do it the conventional way, passing.

I’m sure I’ll read other comments and realize I forgot something. This was just off the top my cranium right now.

You have summarized it up pretty well.   Not sure if it is considered as a trait but I would add guts to that list or to be conjoined with #3.

Eyes. 

A Quarterbacks eyes are huge for manipulating the backend of the defense to open up windows for his pass catchers. 

Footwork. 

You don’t want cement blocks or happy feet, there’s a good in between(sort of a bounce) that QBs need to have to transition through their reads and escape pressure. 

I think it starts with smarts. Being 100% comfortable in an offense where you’re not thinking too much and just playing. Which I’m turn leads to confidence. I think when a QB has confidence in the playbook and reading things they play at a really high level. Pre snap reads. Able to have that communication with the OL on who’s got who and mismatches with WRs, TEs and RBs. These are all things that so far have 0 to do with a QBs actual physical traits. And for me are the 3 most important.

Physically they have to be able to not Stare down reads. Can’t get away with that. Have to throw CBs, Ss and LBs off with your eyes a bit. Having a rhythm in your step back that creates good habits. This all comes with footwork and understanding different drops. Which leads to setting your feet right. QBs accuracy just goes down when their mechanics are off. Can they still make throws? Of course. But in general drop back situations and not on the run… it’s great for a QB to have his feet set to put that power, accuracy and touch on the ball. Lastly is a quick release. That extra second to have a big wind up can be big when pass rushers are coming at you and a DB is closing in on a receiver. 

For QB?

Winning.

Brady has it, Watson has it, Tebow had it, and Burrow has it. It's difficult to explain but these guys just win; more than tooling and smarts, they have this innate drive and ability to pull out the W in even the most unlikely circumstances. They shine in the brightest spotlights on the biggest stages.

It's easily the most valuable intangible IMO and the biggest reason why I wanted Fields over Wilson.

2 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

For QB?

Winning.

Brady has it, Watson has it, Tebow had it, and Burrow has it. It's difficult to explain but these guys just win; more than tooling and smarts, they have this innate drive and ability to pull out the W in even the most unlikely circumstances. They shine in the brightest spotlights on the biggest stages.

It's easily the most valuable intangible IMO and the biggest reason why I wanted Fields over Wilson.

Isn't winning kind of a team thing?  I also don't view that as a trait.  It is something that happens if they have those good traits.  I see your point about having that "it" factor, but being a QB on a winning team does not necessarily make that QB great.

6 hours ago, xrade said:

Isn't winning kind of a team thing?  I also don't view that as a trait.  It is something that happens if they have those good traits.  I see your point about having that "it" factor, but being a QB on a winning team does not necessarily make that QB great.

Didn't say QBs on winning teams - notice I left out a bunch of elites (Mahommes, Rodgers, Allen). I'm talking about guys who rise to the occasion time and time again, but aren't exactly regarded for their QB tools. I could not care less about my QB being able to throw a rocket 60 yards down the field while falling backwards. What I want is a steadfast leader who goes out there to win.

The first quality to look for is attitude. Does the QB command respect? Is he an arrogant prick who has no issue getting into the grill of an offensive lineman if the latter messes up a blocking assignment? Does the team rally around him? Do they gravitate towards him? Do coaches want to design an offense around his best attributes? Is he a natural born leader?

Talent is secondary at this very critical position if the QB does not have the attitude to match. That is why Kurt Warner is in the HOF and Jeff George is not. 

3 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

The first quality to look for is attitude. Does the QB command respect? Is he an arrogant prick who has no issue getting into the grill of an offensive lineman if the latter messes up a blocking assignment? Does the team rally around him? Do they gravitate towards him? Do coaches want to design an offense around his best attributes? Is he a natural born leader?

Talent is secondary at this very critical position if the QB does not have the attitude to match. That is why Kurt Warner is in the HOF and Jeff George is not. 

Good point.  I will add that attitude is probably something that changes as these kids mature.  Personally, I want my QB to have some arrogance but not be a prick about it.