Lions To Play More 4-3

Just Want A Title

Not forcing a system is what DC promised last year so glad to hear it.  I know our edge players were significantly better with their hands on the ground and struggled in other roles so makes sense.  I think it would help Levi out a lot along with giving Flowers more value back, if he is still around.  

22 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Not forcing a system is what DC promised last year so glad to hear it.  I know our edge players were significantly better with their hands on the ground and struggled in other roles so makes sense.  I think it would help Levi out a lot along with giving Flowers more value back, if he is still around.  

Hutchinson has talked about how he'd prefer to be a stand-up guy vs having his hand in the dirt (although he has done both). Do you think this has any impact on the Lions' perception or plans?

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Hutchinson has talked about how he'd prefer to be a stand-up guy vs having his hand in the dirt (although he has done both). Do you think this has any impact on the Lions' perception or plans?

I do.  I think Karalaftis is a better fit in a 4-3 edge player.  I just hope whoever we draft we utilize them to the best of their abilities. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I do.  I think Karalaftis is a better fit in a 4-3 edge player.  I just hope whoever we draft we utilize them to the best of their abilities. 

I really like Travon Walker and Devonte Wyatt as a 3T. Not sure what you do with Barnes as he's a liability in coverage at MLB. SLB I guess? 

We'd probably have to add another 2 DL and 2 LB's in order to make it work. 

24 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

We need 2 LB to make any defense work.

I don't know if I would agree with that. Sure, in a 3-4 Hutchinson would be an OLB so I guess you'd be right technically but I'm looking more so at either a ILB in a 3-4 or any of the sports in a 4-3. If the Lions want to build on Barnes' rookie year, we'd need to pair someone up with him who is better in coverage. Anzalone is not the guy (btw - what is with all of these Lions YouTubers talking about how 'Anzalone was good/great'... he wasn't.) but JRM is fine as a rotational guy. We could add someone else in FA or the draft to round out the depth but I wouldn't call that a 'need'. 

4-3: Barnes is arguably a SLB. JRM can play WLB but do you want to rely on him as a starter? We absolutely need a MLB that can cover. The coaches obviously know more than I do but it feels like we'd be opening up even bigger gaps on the roster than we have now. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I really like Travon Walker and Devonte Wyatt as a 3T. Not sure what you do with Barnes as he's a liability in coverage at MLB. SLB I guess? 

We'd probably have to add another 2 DL and 2 LB's in order to make it work. 

I don't think we "need" more DL.  Onwuzurike, Brockers, McNeil would rotate on the interior.  Flowers, Okwara, Okwara, Harris rotate on the ends.  We would need two LBs but we really need two already.  Barnes had a rough rookie year and although I wont write him off, he needs to take big steps forward this year.