Wild trade ideas

Louis Friend

So with the combine underway and alot of rumors swirling, I thought it would be a good idea to get a thread going for crazy trade ideas. Players, picks, combo of both. let's hear them. 

Word is Washington reached out to every single team to see how much it would cost to trade for their QB. I'm not as down on Goff as others. I think he's serviceable and can be good with a strong team around him. But I don't think he's the guy to win it all. So I propose this to you guys...

Jared Goff + #2 overall pick for Chase Young + #10 overall pick. Who says no? 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

So with the combine underway and alot of rumors swirling, I thought it would be a good idea to get a thread going for crazy trade ideas. Players, picks, combo of both. let's hear them. 

Word is Washington reached out to every single team to see how much it would cost to trade for their QB. I'm not as down on Goff as others. I think he's serviceable and can be good with a strong team around him. But I don't think he's the guy to win it all. So I propose this to you guys...

Jared Goff + #2 overall pick for Chase Young + #10 overall pick. Who says no? 

My guess is they would say no.  I would be all for it but we would then have to use 10 on a QB IMO. 

One potential trade target that may not be so crazy:  Montez Sweat.  Their entire D-Line are first round picks and they can't afford to pay everyone especially if Chase Young continues to perform as expected.  They could offer him to trade up from #11 or maybe offer him for the #2 pick without giving up #11.  I would consider Sweat and Hutchinson as being pretty close in they type of impact they would have on the team.  Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

One potential trade target that may not be so crazy:  Montez Sweat.  Their entire D-Line are first round picks and they can't afford to pay everyone especially if Chase Young continues to perform as expected.  They could offer him to trade up from #11 or maybe offer him for the #2 pick without giving up #11.  I would consider Sweat and Hutchinson as being pretty close in they type of impact they would have on the team.  Thoughts?

I would take #11 + Sweat for #2, but I'm not trading #2 straight up for Sweat. 

• Like 1

The Cowboys are looking like they're going to release Amari Cooper. His base salaries over the next three years seriously impair his trade value, but is it worth considering if the Lions can get him for next to nothing? He gives them the outside threat at WR they sorely need. His game complements the offense well too.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The Cowboys are looking like they're going to release Amari Cooper. His base salaries over the next three years seriously impair his trade value, but is it worth considering if the Lions can get him for next to nothing? He gives them the outside threat at WR they sorely need. His game complements the offense well too.

We'd have to find a way to make the money work to do that. 

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'd rather wait until he hits FA than trade assets and take on that contract. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Amari Cooper is kind of an enigma.  His double moves are deadly but he has always been inconsistent and has stretches where he seems to disappear.  I am not sure that would fit with our locker room.

14 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I'm aware. I'd rather take my chances in FA than cripple the ongoing rebuild. 

That's quite an exaggeration. Doing a Day 3 pick swap or trading a 2023 Day 3 pick isn't going to cripple the rebuild. And if you're concerned about the contract, you can always restructure it to lower the cap hit this year. Maybe the Lions get him in FA. But they'll have to compete with other squads and take the risk he chooses to go elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's quite an exaggeration. Doing a Day 3 pick swap or trading a 2023 Day 3 pick isn't going to cripple the rebuild. And if you're concerned about the contract, you can always restructure it to lower the cap hit this year. Maybe the Lions get him in FA. But they'll have to compete with other squads and take the risk he chooses to go elsewhere. 

Restructuring just kicks the can further down the road. I still don't see our short term future as being great, so I'd rather not hinder our cap situation down the road as I think that's when we'll be able to make a legitimate push. 

31 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Restructuring just kicks the can further down the road. I still don't see our short term future as being great, so I'd rather not hinder our cap situation down the road as I think that's when we'll be able to make a legitimate push. 

One type of restructuring does. But it's a pretty minor issue at this point. A separate type of restructure is offering him guaranteed money and/or an extension to lower his cap numbers.

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I don’t think he’s worth 20 million per year. While the Lions could certainly use him I think that type of money is better spent elsewhere. This is a really deep receiver class and there are going to be a number of free agents available.

Do you think Cooper is worth that type of money?

• Like 1