Free Agency Thread

BStanRamFan

I wanted to start this up as rumor season begins at the NFL Combine. We are in an advantageous situation this offseason. Stafford will get an extension, but Goff's $ comes off the books. Whitworth will likely retire and we do have some FA's in house to consider. Tough decisions to make, but that's expected after what we just accomplished. Guys who got their ring, will want to be paid. Guys who have been paid, will want their ring. Guys who need to be paid, will take 1 year "prove it" deals to earn them a future payday. We will action in all three categories.

So to open it up to the forum, who do we lose? who do we gain? Most importantly because I'm too done to figure it out accurately, what is our potential spend?

I think we lose Von Miller.

I think we could potentially land Gronk.{long shot}

Marcus Maye on a "prove it" deal. I think we were interested in trading for him at some point.

Evan Engram on a "prove it" deal. 

Calais Campbell ring chaser?

Gerald McCoy ring chaser?

Ryan Kerrigan ring chaser?

I don't know if we lose Miller.....i think Donald will convince Miller to return 1 more year. 

Oline is a big need right now and i don't think we will have enough money to resign both Corbett, Allen and Noteboom....specially if we give a new contract to Stafford and Donald.

On 3/4/2022 at 3:58 PM, JonStark said:

Think a lot of it is going to hinge on the Stafford extension. If he really is going to ask for 45M+, we're probably not going to be able to make too many moves and CB would have to be a priority if DWill isn't with us. 

Didn't we have close to 45M locked up last year at the QB position between Stafford and Goff's dead money? I could be wrong on the exact figure, but if true, that didn't limit us last year too much. Whit retiring will free up some money, but obviously, we won't be getting Von Miller at the price we did last year.

Now that we are free from all the dead money (Goff and Gurley) we can start a new session of kicking the can? lol sucks to say, but it's an option. Go all in on the next 2 years, try to make it a dynasty, and when the bottom falls out we will finally be known as a top tier franchise in the same vein as the Cowboys, Steelers, Pats etc. Would help with FA's

• Like 2

Question is what we do at WR position ? Woods and OBJ are not going to play at he beginning of the season.

Van Jefferson can't be a WR2, Skowrowneck neither, Tutu i don't even know if he's going to make the roster....

I think we have to take a cheap WR in FA. I would love to sign James Washington. 

45 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Question is what we do at WR position ? Woods and OBJ are not going to play at he beginning of the season.

Van Jefferson can't be a WR2, Skowrowneck neither, Tutu i don't even know if he's going to make the roster....

I think we have to take a cheap WR in FA. I would love to sign James Washington. 

I think Van can step in to the #2 role until Woods gets back. Probably lean on the run game and use more two TE sets with Higs, Blanton, and Hopkins. 

If we can sign a cheaper WR to replace Skowrowneck I'd be all for it, but I don't think it's a necessity depending on how our cap space is looking. Tutu might as well honestly be practice squad at this point with the emergence of Powell in the return game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

I think Van can step in to the #2 role until Woods gets back. Probably lean on the run game and use more two TE sets with Higs, Blanton, and Hopkins. 

If we can sign a cheaper WR to replace Skowrowneck I'd be all for it, but I don't think it's a necessity depending on how our cap space is looking. Tutu might as well honestly be practice squad at this point with the emergence of Powell in the return game. 

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what we think of Skoronek. Mcvay loves that kid and he’s clearly set on involving him. I’m not a big fan either but something tells me he will definitely be around next year. 

7 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Didn't we have close to 45M locked up last year at the QB position between Stafford and Goff's dead money? I could be wrong on the exact figure, but if true, that didn't limit us last year too much. Whit retiring will free up some money, but obviously, we won't be getting Von Miller at the price we did last year.

Now that we are free from all the dead money (Goff and Gurley) we can start a new session of kicking the can? lol sucks to say, but it's an option. Go all in on the next 2 years, try to make it a dynasty, and when the bottom falls out we will finally be known as a top tier franchise in the same vein as the Cowboys, Steelers, Pats etc. Would help with FA's

It’s really looking like Von wants to return to Denver. There’s many teams interested too. I just find it hard to believe they’ll let him walk after a year after giving up what they gave up. I understand it was worth it but that would be a bit annoying. He really balled out once he got going. 

15 hours ago, MDY10 said:

It’s really looking like Von wants to return to Denver. There’s many teams interested too. I just find it hard to believe they’ll let him walk after a year after giving up what they gave up. I understand it was worth it but that would be a bit annoying. He really balled out once he got going. 

Most do playing next to AD. I'd be fine going after a guy like Reddick/Landry at a cheaper cost and using that money elsewhere if Von is dead set on returning to DEN. Even if we are able to free up some cap, I don't see us being in the position to overpay him to stay. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RamsFan24 said:

Man I would love it if the Rams could sign Bobby Wagner. He's from LA, adding him to this defense would be an awesome look.

Same here. Les need to somehow jump on that especially if we lose Von. I’d also really be over the moon if the Rams can find a way to keep Von and add Wagner. 

9 hours ago, RamsFan24 said:

Man I would love it if the Rams could sign Bobby Wagner. He's from LA, adding him to this defense would be an awesome look.

Perfect example of a ring chaser and didnt know he was from LA. I do think the FO really likes what we saw in Earnest Jones and Travin Howard later in the season. Both are cheap and if we can allocate resources to other areas of the team, I think they would. But never rule it out when it comes to Snead.

I would prefer the OL to be prioritized and retain at least two of our three pending FAs (assuming Whit retires).

I am not at all comfortable with just letting those guys walk. We did that in 2018 and 2019 was a disaster.

If we can keep them, move some money around and extend Stafford/AD - the only other piece I care about is Miller.

But if he does go back to Denver - take that money and sign Wagner and Fowler - both of whom were cut and won't impact the comp formula.

Then try find a bargain at CB and focus on that area in the draft.

5 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

I would prefer the OL to be prioritized and retain at least two of our three pending FAs (assuming Whit retires).

I am not at all comfortable with just letting those guys walk. We did that in 2018 and 2019 was a disaster.

If we can keep them, move some money around and extend Stafford/AD - the only other piece I care about is Miller.

But if he does go back to Denver - take that money and sign Wagner and Fowler - both of whom were cut and won't impact the comp formula.

Then try find a bargain at CB and focus on that area in the draft.

With that in mind I'm going to throw a name out there that should go over well with folks and that I'm not sure people will be considering as a ring-chaser, but should be:

Rodger Saffold

Obviously, he's not currently a free agent, but with the Titans just inking Harold Landry to a fat new extension, and entering the FA period in excess of the cap ceiling to begin with, they're going to need to trim from somewhere and Saffold would be entering the final year of his contract, slated to pull down 6% of the salary cap total by himself, could find himself a cap-casualty.  If this were to happen, I'd say that would be a rather ideal option if Big Whit opts for retirement - slot in Rodg at LG to make Noteboom's transition all the easier, and shift Edwards over to compete for the vacant spot left by Corbett at RG, while also providing a bolster to the OL that already knows McVay's system and who our rushing attack was seting league-highs behind.

I agree with devoting some draft capital to the CB position, but I also expect Rochell to take a pretty significant stride in year 2 - as he was performing ahead of schedule for my expectations before he went down with his injury.  This is a deeeeeep CB class though, and DB is one area I have a great deal of trust in this front office to draft, moreso with Morris (a former DB coach in his own right) helming the defense.

Edited by Dr LBC